Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Reality Tv Coming To An End?
01-06-2006, 11:13 PM

I am curious. I haven't put this issue into television because it is not about one particular programme.

Of all the debate programmes I have watched of late, and the critic columns I have read in the press, I am curious about the continued shelf life of reality based television programmes.

If I hazard a guess and said that 15% of televised programmes is made according to a reality TV format, we'd be quite surprised at how high the percentage is especially when the printed TV guide for the week might only list 1 or 2 programmes in current session, not inclusive of cut off programmes showing other clips.

Nevertheless, it does seem to be a popular view point that reality TV is close to the end of days. If the end of days were established to be in say 6 months, I am wondering what kind of programme may in the place of a reality TV programme be broadcast.

Do you feel reality TV has reached the rend of its days?

If reality TV has reached the end of its days, what would you like to see in its place?

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2006, 06:44 AM
I've never been a reality tv watching person. I prefer BBCAmerica, The Discovery Channel, The Learning Channel, Ths History Channel, A & E (Arts and Entertainment), The Sci-Fi Channel, The Travel Channel, Court TV (when they have a good case going). We have Starz Movie Channels-there are 12 of them. We get 30-40 music channels via Sirius Satelite on everything from classical to dance to top 40 to Disney Music for the kiddies. I only watch about 30 minutes a week of my local (Memphis) channels and that's for the weather. I really could give a toss about reality tv. (Please direct all my hate mail to Mo's box for starting this thread!!:w00t: )

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
02-06-2006, 09:03 AM
I love 'some' reality TV - but sometimes it feels that thats ALL that is on box.

You have Wife Swop, BB, IAC, X-Factor, 1950's School (or whatever its called), Rock School .... the list is endless. I dont watch much reality TV, although certain things i love.

It is sometimes annoying though when you fancy a night in, and on every channel there is a reality show.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2006, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2006 10:21 AM by Northern angel.)
msgirl Wrote:I've never been a reality tv watching person. I prefer BBCAmerica, The Discovery Channel, The Learning Channel, Ths History Channel, A & E (Arts and Entertainment), The Sci-Fi Channel, The Travel Channel, Court TV (when they have a good case going). We have Starz Movie Channels-there are 12 of them. We get 30-40 music channels via Sirius Satelite on everything from classical to dance to top 40 to Disney Music for the kiddies. I only watch about 30 minutes a week of my local (Memphis) channels and that's for the weather. I really could give a toss about reality tv. (Please direct all my hate mail to Mo's box for starting this thread!!:w00t: )

Msgirl I love you.

You are so up front with it.I really couldn't give a toss about reality tv. (Could we take turns in replying to the amount of hate mail with reference to this thread? I personally feel that there is just too much of reality TV. Several years I ago, I found myself in deep conversation about reality TV as a new and innovative phenonema, but at the same time how it concentrates on making human beings look like absolute prats.

Still one could always switch it off. But sometimes you just can't avoid it, can you, sometimes it becomes addictive. There are some which I like.

I am curious though if all the press is negative about reality TV and those who have careers in TV that is not reality based have no time for it or won't make time for it, than the death of reality TV could well be deemed a great loss. Certainly jobs will be lost.

But what will replace it. The TV companies need programmes with high viewing statistics as this brings forth the mercenary nature of advertising and sponsorship. Without which some major television channels would fail maybe be forced to sell out.

What do you think, can reality TV survive without sponsors? In America its even bigger isn't it?

Maureen
Northern angel.

02-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Bonsai Wrote:I love 'some' reality TV - but sometimes it feels that thats ALL that is on box.

You have Wife Swop, BB, IAC, X-Factor, 1950's School (or whatever its called), Rock School .... the list is endless. I dont watch much reality TV, although certain things i love.

It is sometimes annoying though when you fancy a night in, and on every channel there is a reality show.

Hello Bonsai,

Do you think reality TV as a whole then is just bad TV?

Last night whilst out at a friends I watched and cringed whilst trying to listen to X Factor - Battle of the Stars. ITV 9 till 10.30 pm. It was so terrible I was laughing. I then thought well its a good job its for charity as no one in there right mind would pay to broadcast this.

The kids in the other room were watching Big Brother. When I mentioned over coffee before coming home that I felt Big brother was not ideal TV for two eleven year olds, it was met with don't be such a prude we love it, we like it.

Reality TV has created some TV personalities, and brought a group of people to our attention that we would not have been aware of to such an extent before. Fast tracking careers and trashing them at unbelievable speed. No doubt for some it is the route to a fast buck. Here for today gone tomorrow.

Are there any reality TV programmes you would say gave good viewing and quality?

Maureen
Northern angel.:good:

02-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Northern angel Wrote:Are there any reality TV programmes you would say gave good viewing and quality?

The only reality TV shows i really like are Big Brother and Im A Celebrity. I do watch Celebrity Love Island too .... but i dont mind if i miss an odd one of that. The others could dissapear off my TV screen for all i care. BUT other people enjoy the other shows that i dont ... so each to their own.

I just wish they wouldn't all come at once as on occasion there is nothing to watch on TV but reality shows.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
02-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Northern angel Wrote:Nevertheless, it does seem to be a popular view point that reality TV is close to the end of days. If the end of days were established to be in say 6 months, Maureen
Northern angel.

Hi MoMo - popular view with whom, and what would that be based on? I ask because judging by the increasing number of such shows it's a popular format, and presumably for that reason with a long life ahead of it. Your suggestion that it could fizzle out in 6 months seems to me about as likely as Davina being killed by a giant flying mammoth.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
02-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Hasn't everyone been predicting the end of reality TV for ages though?

The tabloid press love a bit of reality tv. Big Brother is still making the headlines in its seventh regular series.

Also, the producers and channels make humoungous amounts of money through phone votes and the like. As long as this keeps going, the channels aren't going to be that bothered about the popularity of their programmes.

Yes, there may be overkill at the moment, but its cheap TV with possibility for revenue. It's a match made in heaven for networks.

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
02-06-2006, 06:47 PM
I think they've had their day now. It's a sad endightment of the TV channel bosses that they keep putting on programmes with what is now a very tired format. It was good and interesting at first, but now it's boring.
02-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Patsy Wrote:I think they've had their day now. It's a sad endightment of the TV channel bosses that they keep putting on programmes with what is now a very tired format. It was good and interesting at first, but now it's boring.
Don't let Catherine hear you say this....she won't be your friend anymore.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  COMING SOON: Haydon's BOF Haydon_acc2 11 3,944 25-02-2009 12:53 PM
Last Post: Slipper
  Meeting yourself coming back Marmoset 15 1,824 07-06-2005 05:36 AM
Last Post: ils
  Who's Your Favourite Reality TV Star? Patsy 15 1,445 04-04-2005 05:34 PM
Last Post: Cat
  Is no one coming to play with me??? MB Twinkle 28 2,460 31-12-2004 10:02 PM
Last Post: MB-Xena