Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Is Survivor OnLine a cyber Utopia?
11-11-2004, 07:28 PM

My question is are we (on this board) a fair representation of society?

We're not homophobic.
We're not racist.
We're not misogynousth We're not neighbours from hell
and we aren't violent.

We all know this ain't what life is like. There are some people out there who are all of the above, but not on here it would seem.

Do you think everyone is as liberal and broadminded as they appear to be or do you think that secretly we're not all as politically correct as we seem to be. That we would never express any opinion that would be seen to go against the general consensus of opinion? ...and I'm not just talking about "I don't like soaps and everyone who does is silly" kind of difference of opinion.

Is Survivor On Line a cyber Utopia?

Do you see what I'm getting at .... or should I just stick to one liners in coffee lounge!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2004, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2004 11:15 PM by Nox.)
I think I see what you're getting at Dol.

Is it a cyber utopia? Yes it probably is in as much as these views are seldom expressed and hence you don't often see anything that would be truly offensive to another individual here. Which isn't the case for most message boards where people with extreme or sometimes just differing views will often test the water before getting unceremoniously tossed out.

Maybe it's because most of us are of a like mind and those that aren't get bored or frustrated and move on. But that doesn't make a lot of sense unless having a common interest in a TV show has an underlying significance even the psychologists know nothing about!

It may have something to do with respect and friendship between posters. Most of us rub along pretty well and have got to know one another over the years so wouldn't want to shock or upset anyone by suddenly stating that their favourite hobby was seal clubbing.

Alternatively people might be worried about being shot down in flames for having an opinion which wasn't the norm amongst the most vocal posters on the board.

Personally I think we're all big pink fluffy bunnies and I love you all. :wub: (Where's the vomit smilie when you need it) Smile
11-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Here it is Nox [Image: sick.gif]
12-11-2004, 07:07 AM
Good point. Yes I would agree with you.

What I like about forums is that its there when YOU want it, it never pops round un announced interrupting you, if a topic dosn't interest you, you can just ignore it. When you want to make a point/comment you are never put on the spot...you have time to compose and think of a reply.

Unlike 'real' life.

I think its bloomin marvelous what ever :wave:
12-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Although as in real life, we are living in a time where many people are afraid to say anything that might be deemed 'incorrect (eg 'politically') which might be what dol was thinking of. I think that happens here too. There's also a tendency for a personal opinion on something to be countered with accusations of being judgmental (used as a term of disapproval) so people curb it to the detriment of colourful discussion. You can see the sort of effect that has when someone voices an opinion immediately followed by 'but having said that .....' so as not to look too , er ... judgmental.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
12-11-2004, 09:36 AM
I have to agree with SF here. Sometimes I think on here we are too nice. I can't for one minute think that the most liberal cross section of society post on this board. I for one am not liberal. But.... I will stand up and be honest and say that sometimes I will not post certain of my views unless I come across as being in one of those categories that Dol pointed out.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
12-11-2004, 09:50 AM
This is a good question Dol.

Like Nox, I'm inclined to think that this IS a cyber-utopia inasmuch as no-one here voices any racist/homophobic/violent etc. opinions, but I think its a valid point that to some extent everyone has a certain amount of politically incorrect opinions within them. If we didn't no-one would moan about the pointlessness of political correctness. However, people here refrain from uttering their more contraversial or un-PC opinions online for fear of being shot down in flames or altering the status quo. We have become a community here and we want to be accepted within that community, and to do that, we need to ensure that we don't say anything that is likely to offend a large portion of the group or brand us as being a particularly nasty type. In other words, we care too much what other people here think to be truly honest.

I'm inclined to think that if none of us knew each other and were posting here as total strangers, the atmosphere on the MB would be different. It may not be as comfortable or nice, but I'm pretty sure it would be honest. E.g. if I privately thought that a particular poster here was an ignorant ****, I doubt I'd actually say it in so many words for fear of being really offensive. But I'd probably say it exactly like that on an MB where I knew no-one, and didn't give a t0ss what they thought of me.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
12-11-2004, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2004 10:02 AM by tigger.)
It raises the question, are we really being ourselves? If we are holding back from expressing our true feelings and views is that good or bad? By not posting what we really feel due to fear of being judged, doesn't that show lack of integrity?

In my counselling course we are taught unconditional positive regard, which is to be non-judgemental no matter what the client throws at us. It is one of the core conditions of counselling and it is something we are expected as counsellors to make part of our being. If the client does fear that they will be judged, then as a counsellor we are not doing our job to make them feel safe in that relationship. What I am getting at, is we need to ask ourselves do we feel 'safe' in our relationships on this board. I'll be honest and say that I don't, and that I might be judged harshly if I were to post certain things.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
12-11-2004, 10:39 AM
Nox Wrote:I
Personally I think we're all big pink fluffy bunnies and I love you all. :wub: (Where's the vomit smilie when you need it) Smile

What a cheery response, Are you in love Nox???
12-11-2004, 10:54 AM
tigger767 Wrote:It raises the question, are we really being ourselves? If we are holding back from expressing our true feelings and views is that good or bad? By not posting what we really feel due to fear of being judged, doesn't that show lack of integrity?

I dunno if it shows a lack of integrity exactly, but I think it shows that we have started to act online as we would in real life. We don't utter our more contraversial opinions here for fear of making a bad impression. I don't see that as dishonest, or a lack of integrity - its just the way that all societies operate. But I do think the MB is sometimes less for it. I kinda liked the good old days (3 years ago) when everyone said whatever they thought without really caring what anyone else thought of them for it. It provided a sort of freedom that I couldn't get anywhere else.

Quote:What I am getting at, is we need to ask ourselves do we feel 'safe' in our relationships on this board. I'll be honest and say that I don't, and that I might be judged harshly if I were to post certain things.

It depends what you mean by our "relationships" on this board. There are people I get on well with here, but I don't and never have expected people to agree with my opinions because they like me. Similarly, I'd be peed off if I thought people disagreed with me because they didn't like me. But I agree with you Tigger that sometimes I have either refrained from uttering an opinion, or watered it down somewhat because I know that I would be judged and challenged for it by some people on here and either I don't want the judgement or haven't got the time for the challenge. Likewise, there are threads that I have never started for the same reason. But I see that as my failing. This MB is not a counselling arena - people will judge me on the basis of the things I say! And if I refrain from uttering an opinion because I'm afraid of that judgement, then that is my own cowardice. Conversely though, there have been other times when I've simply thought "f.cuk it" and said it anyway, but more often than not the thread or comment has simply been met with a wall of silence because other people are afraid of judgement. So now I don't bother much. I have no desire to be the only person on this MB to show my arse to the world.

Of course, some people here don't actaully want a heavy discussion all the time, and may be genuinely more lovely that I am at my core.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.