Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is The Internet Unhealthy?
15-03-2005, 11:28 AM

How long do you spend on the internet talking to your cyber buddies? Do you ever talk to cyber friends instead of your real friends.

Have you noticed that you are neglecting real issues and priorities because you are addicted to Survivor?

Do you have any funny stories to tell regarding this?

Do you sometimes feel a bit sad because you post so much instead of doing your work, or feeding your kids?

Or do you think that is healthy? Do you think there is nothing wrong with today's society where we are becoming less and less bothered about face to face contact, what with sms and emails.

I mean years ago we only spoke face to face, were relationships better then?

Then we invented the phone, which is obviously a very handy and useful device as are all these inventions, but still going down the track of less personal.

Then email, where we write an email instead of calling someone, then text where we don't even finish the words properly and say something like "M8 what U UP2?"

What are your thoughts on this matter?
Find all posts by this user
15-03-2005, 11:57 AM
How long do you spend on the internet talking to your cyber buddies? To long...but what's worse is the length of time I spend talking to myself on here! Do you ever talk to cyber friends instead of your real friends.Ermmmmm yes Sad

Have you noticed that you are neglecting real issues and priorities because you are addicted to Survivor? My name is Coastie and I am a SO Addict......Jonny won the last series but who is the current PM ?

Do you have any funny stories to tell regarding this? I often say hello to posters as I go around my daily life and see things that remind me of them.....

Do you sometimes feel a bit sad because you post so much instead of doing your work, or feeding your kids? I prioritse...work first but only berugingly if it involves me having to log off!

Or do you think that is healthy? Do you think there is nothing wrong with today's society where we are becoming less and less bothered about face to face contact, what with sms and emails. When you poot as much as I do it's probably a good thing I don't meet you face to face!

I mean years ago we only spoke face to face, were relationships better then? Well I guess you can't get a proper hug over the internet!

Then we invented the phone, which is obviously a very handy and useful device as are all these inventions, but still going down the track of less personal.What ever happened to the old dial phones eh...we had a lovely chocolate brown one and it was really loud!

Then email, where we write an email instead of calling someone, then text where we don't even finish the words properly and say something like "M8 what U UP2?" Ah txt speak...Scoobs luv's that...pity he's mnot here to enjoy it!

What are your thoughts on this matter?As you can see I have non e that will change the world but I do make a wonderful raspberry pavlova....

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Hugh, if your wife is neglecting you because she spends too much time on here just tell her.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
15-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Usually, the only thing being neglected when I'm on here is the ironing :laugh: & I'm fine with that. I'm not on here as often as I'd like cos of time constraints.

I don't think I neglect any of my other friends, we do get together quite often & keep in touch regularly admittedly usually with texts not phone calls but I use the phone a lot in work so am quite happy not to use it at home.

I don't think the internet is unhealthy but I think it does have the capacity to become so in the manners you have mentioned. Obviously if I was ignoring my hubbie, the kids or my life in general then it wouldn't be such a good thing.

Another good thing is that I am still in contact with people from school who have moved overseas through email etc so that's good.

I think it depends how it's used as to how healthy it is.

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
Woah survivor fan, you read me too deeply! That wasn't a subliminal message or anything.

I was just wondering, because I have my own forum and I to am an addict too forums, but I must admit it is pretty sad! Blush

I mean what about real people, do you tell your friends the extent of your usage of internet chat rooms, because it is a bit of a social taboo. :wink2:
Before anybody jumps to conclusions, I certainly don't neglect my kids & always feed them! - on time! :mad:

visit my forum : Stardust Forums
15-03-2005, 12:05 PM
survivorfan Wrote:Hugh, if your wife is neglecting you because she spends too much time on here just tell her.

:laugh: we must be right cynical old devils SF cos thats exactly what I thought too!!!!

I love coming here on SO, I dont go to any other forum and post anymore, although I do go and nose on chavscum for a laugh :devil:...........

I do prioritise though, I tend to come online when I have done all of my "jobs" or like now during a coffee break in between, and then I will have an hour late pm before himself comes home from work......

If I log on in the evening it will be because there is nothing I fancy watching on tv, so Mr Q can watch footy or fishing Sleepy to his hearts content without me moaning at him :shock: I also talk about the board to him, and tell him the funny stuff people post, or he will pass comment on something and I then tell you guys.......

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
15-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Hugh Jaas Wrote:Woah survivor fan, you read me too deeply! That wasn't a subliminal message or anything.

I was just wondering, because I have my own forum and I to am an addict too forums, but I must admit it is pretty sad! Blush

I mean what about real people, do you tell your friends the extent of your usage of internet chat rooms, because it is a bit of a social taboo. :wink2:

When I first mentioned to people about this forum, a lot assumed me & Dave were breaking up or that I was about to run off with someone. I found that really funny but people were genuinely quite concerned :wacko:

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
15-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Hugh I think I will answer your queries in a global fashion - I do not think the internet is unhealthy. However it could be - if you let it run your life.

As far as I can see the internet has broadened my horizons in terms of friendships. I have met and made some spectacular friendships, a few of which I can see lasting longer than some closer to home [school mum type friends].

The reason being is that our form of communication began 'cyberly' and is maintained primarily 'cyberly', but is enhanced by human contact either meeting up or by telephone or snail mail. This is unlikely to change. Yet in the schoolyeard you meet up with and chat ot other Mum's and or Dads - you form firendships with them and then you or they move, now unless there is a strong bond, you inevitably lose touch with one another.

Another plus for the internet, is the vast human world at your fingertips - when it may not be on your doorstep. Eg during foot and mouth we were unable to leave home for about 3 months [inc the children going to school], suring that time it was a lifeline and the biggest godsend to me. But also people who live remotely or are isolated for other reasons.

Having said all that, if your whole life revolves around the internet - and nothing else gets done, then I can see that becoming unhealthy.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

15-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Anyway my kids are not brats- they don't expect to eat everyday - and that leaves all the time in the world for my internet addiction.. :wink_kiss

visit my forum : Stardust Forums
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to behave on an internet forum Haydon_acc2 12 3,036 07-04-2008 05:50 PM
Last Post: Haydon_acc2
  Price matching to the Internet mazwad 1 1,036 21-12-2007 05:04 PM
Last Post: mazwad
  The Internet - Is It The New "Neighbourhood"? Seabreeze 13 2,575 27-10-2007 12:01 AM
Last Post: Flyo
  Internet usage policy at work Dolores 8 1,519 08-06-2007 07:31 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  What do you use the internet for? Seabreeze 21 3,226 26-04-2007 08:39 PM
Last Post: Isis
  Free Wireless Internet gatubela 12 3,774 15-04-2006 04:45 AM
Last Post: gatubela
  Internet Explorer VS Mozilla Firefox PJ 15 1,807 12-08-2005 09:08 PM
Last Post: Blink
  your internet & email service survivorfan 14 2,030 11-04-2005 08:46 AM
Last Post: Isis
  internet bullying tonee 154 11,722 13-03-2005 04:59 PM