Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Olympic Torch tainted?
06-04-2008, 03:28 PM

Thirty-five arrests have been made after clashes between pro-Tibet protesters and police as the Olympic torch made its way through London.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7332942.stm
The security for guarding a torch in a box must have cost a bleedin' fortune.

Today, the torch was greeted outside Number 10 by Gordon Brown (hello Mr Torch, how do you do). Bearing in mind China's human rights record do you think he should have had anything to do with the ceremony?

Isn't it all a bit hypocritical? I suppose because we're hosting the Olympics in 2012 he decided that he had to greet the torch and didn't want to upset the Olympic Committee people. But is the torch tainted by China hosting the Games?

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Haydon Wrote:Thirty-five arrests have been made after clashes between pro-Tibet protesters and police as the Olympic torch made its way through London.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7332942.stm
The security for guarding a torch in a box must have cost a bleedin' fortune.

Today, the torch was greeted outside Number 10 by Gordon Brown (hello Mr Torch, how do you do). Bearing in mind China's human rights record do you think he should have had anything to do with the ceremony?

Isn't it all a bit hypocritical? I suppose because we're hosting the Olympics in 2012 he decided that he had to greet the torch and didn't want to upset the Olympic Committee people. But is the torch tainted by China hosting the Games?

It's always been tainted

From Wiki
Quote:The modern torch relay was introduced by Joseph Goebbels, as part of an effort to turn the games into a glorification of the Third Reich

The modern convention of moving the Olympic Flame via a relay system from Olympia to the Olympic venue began with the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, Germany.
The relay, captured in Leni Riefenstahl's film, "Olympia", was part of the Nazi propaganda machine’s attempt to add myth and mystique to Adolf Hitler’s regime. Hitler saw the link with the ancient Games as the perfect way to illustrate his belief that classical Greece was an Aryan forerunner of the modern German Reich.[2]

So there you have it

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh
Find all posts by this user
09-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I didn't know that. I thought it was an older tradition.

bam bam
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  We have won the Olympic Bid! tigger 36 2,435 09-07-2005 09:25 AM
Last Post: Dolores