Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is theatre dying in favour of disposable entertainment?
18-04-2006, 01:48 AM
Is theatre dying in favour of disposable entertainment?

Last week, I read two articles on the wavering popularity of pier end and pavillion theatres. The articles in question were so negative and despondent I actually began to feel a deep sense of remorse. Remorse because it felt like this was an epitaph in the making. I do know that even those theatres and civic venues which are in the provinces are also struggling for survival.

The reason for the decline of theatre audiences is due to the popularity of television and since the choice of sky and sateliite stations have increased the number of channels in ones home, there seems to be nothing entertainment wise, a theatre can offer and compete with on the same level as TV.

In addition to this epitaph though comes another epitaph. These theatres at one time gracing there boards and brushing there curtains, came people whose talents had arisen from surviving the most difficult of audiences. Social clubs and pubs were the courts in which the world became a stage. The most talented being spotted by agents, managers, TV guru's, record producers and given an opportunity to star on televised shows. Some even had there own shows. Furthermore, after a few years of TV stardom came the endless reviews and bookings for the aforementioned provincial, pier end and pavillion theatres.

These people have ceased to be replaced by the latest of talent spotting enterprises. X factor, Pop Idol, Star for a Night, This is my moment, Stars in there eyes etc. Yet the winners of these shows have even less to shout about after two or three years have passed, and they have sunk into the realms of non existence.

This all brings into the forefront, questions on how the talented will survive, how they will make there mark, and where will they perform when the televised glamour and the lights have faded, gone, untill they are switched on again for the next group of wanabes.

Is there anything we can do to prevent, the death of the talented, anything we can do to prevent the closure of those halls of laughter tears sweat and pain?

What are you willing to do to save your local theatre?
Join a club. Join a drama gorup. Join a musical society, or simply use it or lose it?

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What's on at your local Theatre? Coastie 40 8,870 14-06-2007 10:19 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Hurray! A thread for the Theatre! Aondeag 12 2,826 21-03-2006 09:02 PM
Last Post: PJ