Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamie again!!!!!
10-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Jamie again!!!!!

I was shopping in Tescos this morning and received a phone call from the school regarding Jamie, which is not unusual because of Jamie's problems. He has been having quite a few incidences at school lately. It was the Secretary telling me that there has been an incident with Jamie and could I come down to the school as the headteacher wishes to see me. I told her I had just about finished my shop and that I would be down as soon as I had put my groceries in the fridge at home. She asked me could I get down sooner and I said not really, thinking that it was probably Jamie just getting into trouble again.

I arrive at the school and see Jamie in the office with his thumb taped up. The headteacher then came and took me to his office. What had happened was Jamie had been taken out of the class for a time-out as he was misbehaving. He was put in a first-aid room supervised by two school personnel. When he had got back to the classroom he then sat down and two minutes later said his thumb was bleeding. What they then found out had happened is that whilst supervised in the first aid room he had climbed up and took someone's Epipen from the top shelf, took it out of his box, put the container with the pen inside in his trousers and when back to the classroom had stabbed himself with with the needle in the thumb. I voiced my concern at this time about the supervision, but had not had time to think about it. The headteacher had said he had spoken to the school nurse and that she said he would be alright. I went home, thought about it a little more and then phoned Jamie's doctor. He said to take Jamie immediately to A&E on account of it being a needle prick etc. I picked Jamie up and went to the A&E and saw the triage nurse who was shocked at what had happened and put Jamie on high priority as she said that it could be very serious because he might have got some of the adrenaline in his system. So he was put in Kids casualty and looked at just about straight away. They checked him over and thankfully he was fine, but they then restated how dangerous it could have been.

Looking back now I am fuming that this was even possible to happen. Plus the fact that it took me 35 minutes to get to the school, apparently they should have got Jamie to the hospital and at the very least told me over the phone how serious the incident was, because if I had known it was medical the shopping would have been dumped straight away. I am really not happy. My child could have died.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Jamie again!!!!!
Tiggs - I'm so glad to hear Jamie is ok after his little escapade! What a complete nightmare for you!

I can't understand why you weren't told over the phone about the incident and that they didn't get him checked out properly, surely it is better to be safe than sorry. It also seems amazing that he was able to get the epipen without the 2 people who were suppervising noticing, what on earth were they doing?
10-12-2004, 06:04 PM
Jamie again!!!!!
Tigger...hope Jamie is olay...your'e right the school should have told you over the phone how serious it was...that was out of order. :mad2:

Schools are quick enough to tell when it's something thats not their fault!!

Hope you give them hell on Monday (the school nurse wants looking at aswell if she said he would be okay!)
Find all posts by this user
10-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Jamie again!!!!!
OK, I work in a school, and my take on this.

First off, the school was extremely negligent letting a child be in the position where he could put his hands on an Epipen
Secondly, you should have been informed exactly what had happened on the phone, so you were fully aware of the situation
Thirdly, Jamie should have been taken to the nearest hospital to be checked over asap - or if you were nearby for you to collect and take him (many times this is the better option for the child)

When was the last 'refresher course' that nurse took, and what qualifications does she have? Schools are rapidly weeding out non up-to-date workers, or sending them on refresher courses. However, what on earth were the school thinking of putting a child into the first aid room in the first place?? The 2 staff that were with him should be reprimanded too, but no way should he have been taken in there for time out.

You do have cause for complaint, more than anything to prevent this happening again. Your saving grace is that the school did at least contact you, apart from that they did everything wrong.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
10-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Jamie again!!!!!
Tiggs, gosh!!! Main thing is Jamie is OK.

I read with incredualty[is that a word??] at your unfolding story, I am livid on your behalf.

At the absolute least they should have told you over the phone the gravity of the situation!! And then you could have acted or instructed them to act appropriately i.e take Jamie to hospital!!

I am amazed like everyone else, that he managed this whilst being supervised by TWO adults!!!!!???????

I wouldn't let this lie - Tiggs. I doubt you will - but it is times like this that you realy have to stnad your ground!!
10-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Jamie again!!!!!
that is the worst school thing i have heard in a long time!I would be jumping up and down ON the staff,not just in front of them.
Mind you,i'm not all that suprised - my cousin was recently diagnosed with absence seizures(a form of epilepsy), and one of her teachers from primary school(she's now doing GCSEs)said that she had noticed something wrong back then,but hadn't mentioned it cos she didnt want to worry my aunt....
Just one more reason to home school my daughter i guess. :mad2:
11-12-2004, 12:58 AM
Jamie again!!!!!
tigger767 Wrote:My child could have died.
I think this is very unlikely to say the least -and certainly it's not the priority you should be concentrating on. Infact I'm a bit shocked at all the posters who are prepared to lob angst and accusations at the school on account of this potted history -remember they do not have all-seeing eyes and a crystal ball! If that is what you want then fine -commit him to a borstall or psychiatric institution or something, but if you want an inclusive education with a bit of independence and responsibility then you have to accept a degree of low, (as in this case) risk and better communication. Dwelling on potential greivance between you and the school will only bring heartache wrt you and they coming together to tackle Jamie's risk/needs together, and will simply delay helping him if he is to stay there.

Which is not to say I don't sympathise. But I think you're focussing on the wrong thing if Jamie's best interests and ability to interact positively are your priority. Essentially he did an attention seeking naughty thing which had a (very low) risk attached to it -and you are possibly rewarding him with a megafuss and angst directed at the teachers for whom ideally you want him to show respect for.
11-12-2004, 07:40 AM
Jamie again!!!!!
Hmmmmm.

On reflection that poss sounds a little harsh and perhaps I should emphasis the:
Quote:Which is not to say I don't sympathise....
-as I can see it must have been scary given that you were lead to believe that an epipen to a healthy child could have been fatal. I think the point I'm trying to make is that in a conflict situation you've got to look carefully at both sides before deciding that you've been badly done to. I do tend to feel this particularly strongly with public sector jobs such as police, nurses, teachers etc, where part of the job is enduring/dealing with those whose behaviour makes your work ten times harder than it has to be and prevents you from helping the others who need you just as much.

If you alienate the school by 'giving them hell' then it's only going to put up barriers to working together in Jamie's best interests, esp if as you say there are increasing 'incidents' and his behaviour was the key contributor to this incident. Instead, I'd make the most of the fact that they likely will feel guilty about what happened anyway, be disarmingly forgiving, and thus reap the better relationship with them that will help them concentrate on supporting/supervising Jamie where he needs it.
11-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Jamie again!!!!!
What is an epipen? :unsure:
11-12-2004, 11:28 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2004 11:40 AM by Lucy.)
Jamie again!!!!!
It's a pen-shaped injecter which can push a small amount of adrenaline into the muscle -not enough to harm someone who is healthy although obviously it's not a good idea to get a jab of adrenaline you don't need, but enough to counteract an allergic reaction in those who get serious reactions to bee-stings, peanuts etc

A close relative of mine has one & I am familiar with their use.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jamie A&E capers yet again tigger 34 2,223 19-11-2004 08:31 PM
Last Post: Buzz