Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeremy Clarkson
09-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Jeremy Clarkson

Honestly, I struggle to see why he felt it was necessary to apologise.

It's not as if he lied, swore or slandered anyone, is it?

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Jeremy Clarkson
Nope.

I guess the cyclops reference isn't regarded as PC these days but you're right, it's not lying, swearing or slandering.

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh
10-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Jeremy Clarkson
Well, I think some people thought it might be offensive to a certain demographic that he combined the words "one-eyed" and "Scottish" with the word "idiot". One eyed people and Scots, for example.

But really, if anyone who is Scottish and/or is partially sighted was offended by Clarksons comment within its context, then they are a little self absorbed. He wasn't calling all Scots or one-eyed people "idiots".....just a particular one-eyed Scotsman. And frankly, I thought the comment was factually correct myself so not deserving of an apology.

I think there is a certain amount of bandwagon jumping going on here following the Jonathan Ross/Russell Brand debacle. If a BBC presenter (in particular) says anything that has the slightest whiff of controversy their comments are immediately swooped on by the PC brigade and demands for apologies / sackings / suspension are touted around. It was the same to an extent with the Carole Thatcher comments made off air on The One Show - although I think her comments were genuinely more offensive.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Jeremy Clarkson
Don't we have a tradition of comedians being able to ridicule public figures without fear of reprisal?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
10-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Jeremy Clarkson
karenh Wrote:Well, I think some people thought it might be offensive to a certain demographic that he combined the words "one-eyed" and "Scottish" with the word "idiot". One eyed people and Scots, for example.

But really, if anyone who is Scottish and/or is partially sighted was offended by Clarksons comment within its context, then they are a little self absorbed. He wasn't calling all Scots or one-eyed people "idiots".....just a particular one-eyed Scotsman. And frankly, I thought the comment was factually correct myself so not deserving of an apology.

I think there is a certain amount of bandwagon jumping going on here following the Jonathan Ross/Russell Brand debacle. If a BBC presenter (in particular) says anything that has the slightest whiff of controversy their comments are immediately swooped on by the PC brigade and demands for apologies / sackings / suspension are touted around. It was the same to an extent with the Carole Thatcher comments made off air on The One Show - although I think her comments were genuinely more offensive.

Aaww - gies a break karen - ah cannae read all of that.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
23-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Jeremy Clarkson
??Huh??

what did JC say+

and about whom?

what have i missed?

(been a bit distracted)....Huh

:ghost: Tis better to lose a lover , than to love a loser
23-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Jeremy Clarkson
He called Gordon Brown a 'one-eyed Scottish idiot'.

Seems pretty accurate to me.

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
24-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Jeremy Clarkson
I think that his comments regarding prostitute murdering lorry drivers graded as more offensive on the PC scale. I say this because surely there are more truckers than one-eyed Scottish idiots out there that could have been offended. JC did of course deliver a half hearted apology to the truckers as he did when he offended the Germans...but come on if you can't take the pee out of the Germans who's left for goodness sake! Huh

The RB anb and JR complaint I feel was well founded as that was beyond bad taste for cheap laughs and I never liked either of them anyway!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]