Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Interviews
30-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Job Interviews

Well that time has come round for me, and I have a job interview on Tuesday and one on Wednesday.

I haven't had a job interview for hundreds of years, and I have nothing to wear and I don't know how to conduct myself.

The Tuesday interview is for the National Trust - and I am being interviewed by the Asst to the Director and the Events Manager - both of whom I know socially - so that is a bit weird to start with. Do I act like I know them or pretend that I don't know them - or WHAT???? The work I will be doing is pretty easy except the book-keeping side of stuff - only cos I have never book kept - shall I be honest about this, and say I am a quick learner or do I gloss over with accounts of household finances and my small business [The Palace]. Do I ask searching questions, do I agree to everything they say, what do you do?? I am not nervous about handling myself - just I don't want to look foolish by not doing the right thing.

The other interview I am not too concerned about, it is a great great job, I hope I get it - but as the interview will be with the guy I will be working for, and I know his wife socially and our children have played together and I am more than qualified for the work he wants me to do. But then again I don't want to appear too confident, and this would be a fantastic job to get.

And the good thing is that neither will conflict with the other - in fact they will compliment each other - and if I get offered both I will take both.

So any interview tips will be gratefully recieved.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Job Interviews
Look smart and clean.

Smile

Answer questions how you think THEY want to hear the answers

If you don't know the answer be honest and ask them to explain further rather than bluffing your way thru.

Be yourself.

I once got a job as a typist before I could type properly - I wowed them so much in the interview the manager let me take their type writer home so I could practise!!!
30-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Job Interviews
Primacy and recency effect if I remember correctly ie the first impression you make, how you walk in, smile, hold eye contact and introduce yourself and the last thing you do, smile, say thank you for your time,hold eye contact - these will be important markers that the interviewers will remember and take note of.
If you are fidgety, gently clasp your hands together.
Be yourself.
Think about interesting questions.
Make sure you do your homework and ask for more information.
Demonstrate in your responses that you have listened to the questions, (reflect the question by using a key word) and are informed of the area/duties, (use examples from your experience to back up a claim that you make).
Know before hand your strengths and weaknesses. Acknowledge your skills, competency and areas where you can further develop your experience.
What are your goals?
What interested you in this particular role?
It is ok to acknowledge previous relationships - in fact, it would be highly ridiculous if you didnt but do it gently ie 'good to meet you in different circumstances'.

NB You are interviewing them too to see if this job suits you!

GOOD LUCK!!!

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
Find all posts by this user
30-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Job Interviews
Remember they will probably feel just as awkward about knowing you! As tonee says, it'd be a bit odd not to acknowledge it, but you are meeting them this time on a commercial basis so be business-like and professional - they are employing you to meet a business need as opposed to a social one, so they will want to see this side of you.

When I interview, I'm trying to find out if the candidate has the skills and ability to do the job well, and also to find out if there is a personality fit. Presumably as you know these folks, you have passed on the latter, so it is the first that you should concentrate on.

With the accounts, don't try and bluff - it's always obvious, and everyone is a 'quick learner' during an interview.:bored: I'd concentrate on sounding confident about what you can do - ie your own business accounts. They may well use some sort of accounting package - SAGE is quite a common one, so it would be OK to ask if there is training in how to use it.

With questions, don't try too hard. if you've done your research, you'll probably have a few pre-prepared anyway! Others will crop up quite naturally during the interview. Never pretend to know something you don't - a more searching follow-up question will trip you up and make you look stupid!

It also looks good if you take a notepad and pen with you and have your questions written down. Then if you find you actually haven't many questions, or yours are not appropriate, you can always say that they have already covered the areas where you had questions! Also ask if they mind if you take notes during the interview - it looks organised, and keen. But don't take copious notes. And if you think you don't need to take notes, just jot any old thing down a couple of times!!

Good luck!

What are the jobs anyway?

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
30-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Job Interviews
I haven't anything to add to what's been said really - just good luck Smile

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
30-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Job Interviews
Lots of good advice there Flip. Good luck.
30-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Job Interviews
Fee For All Wrote:Good luck!

What are the jobs anyway?

tonee Wrote:NB You are interviewing them too to see if this job suits you!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Cat Wrote:If you don't know the answer be honest and ask them to explain further rather than bluffing your way thru.

jaycee Wrote:just good luck Smile

Thank you all for the advice & good wishes, I have been to a friends to borrow a black trouser suit - so my outfit is sorted. I shall try and remember to have a wash beforehand Cat - a quick lick will not suffice on this occasion!!

Knowing what to say to people when you know them socially was a bit of a sticky point - but that phrase - ''good to meet you in different circumstances'' - sounds comfortable and will work.

I think if the accounting thing comes up - I shall be honest - I have never had experience of any sort of book-keeping, but it is afterall just logic isn't it?? And I was always great at Maths and Stats - so it can't be that hard to pick up?? I have heard of the SAGE package Fee - and I don't think it unreasonable to ask for some sort of training, even if it is in-house with another member of staff.

The jobs are: one is a job share with a friend of mine who's husband died recently, she does not need to work anymore - but wants to keep her hand in, but wants more time with her young son. The job is just admin in the Estate Office - the job title is Nat.Trust Estate Admin Officer. The second is a PA to this chap who runs a food and drink marketing company, runs his own estate, a market garden and the local Hunt.

Both jobs are really local to me - in fact I can use my bike for the the first one, this is a v. exciting prospect.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

30-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Job Interviews
Just be yourself, Flip - you'll walk it. Best of luck!
30-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Job Interviews
Good Luck Flip :thumbsup: always look smart, and look interested even though the interviewer is boring the pants off you, if at the end of interview they say "do you have anything you would like to ask", always ask something, anything, it looks good.
Arrive on time, be polite, and be ready with some answers in advance, write them down and memorise them. for example: "why do you want this job"?

Please don't do what i did once to my horror! :bag: i had a call from a clothing store asking if i could come for an interview in 20 minutes, i had been out the night before so hastely got ready it was only after the interview had finished i realised there was something sticking out of the bottom of my trousers, a pair of rolled up tights from the night before (i used to have Bridget Jones moments even before the books were written) :ohmy: i nearly died! but i got the job!
30-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Job Interviews
Good Luck Flip, I'm sure you will be fine :thumbsup:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Job Interviews PJ 25 1,782 13-03-2006 10:28 PM
Last Post: kookycat