Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job seeking and its interesting moments....
01-06-2005, 04:31 PM

As a grumpy old man looking for a job I have noticed that the chirpy and usually attractive young women in the various agencies always appear surprised when they look at the results of my IT skills tests. I am one of those people who have used PC's for the past twenty years or so - they were very large, very slow and very expensive in those days.

Why should people be shocked to find that anyone over 55 can use a PC? Has anyone any tips for job seekers in their late fifties in the twenty-first century?? :wallbash:
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2005, 05:22 PM
aargees Wrote:.

Why should people be shocked to find that anyone over 55 can use a PC? Has anyone any tips for job seekers in their late fifties in the twenty-first century?? :wallbash:

Oh aargees - the youth of today eh??

My only tip would be to raid your wardrobe for all those old 70's throwbacks, put them on and go for interviews looking like a truly stylish gent - with 'originals'!!

Failing that Bottox, eye lift, full frontal lobotomy or syrup de fig [wig].

I am about to embark on a jobhunting stint - I know what I want, my next plan is to get them to want me!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Flip, I was just about to give the same advice. Genuine 60/70's garb really is THE thing this summer - you could wow them with your trendy attire.

Also, if they are Big Brother fans you could mention me, I'm a friend of Victors..just drop it into the conversation. If they don't like BB then don't say anything.

Otherwise the full drastic cosmetic surgery is an option.
01-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Did you really expect a serious response, aargees? The only thing I can think of, is to try and get face to face contact with potential employers. I know it can be difficult to get to interview stage, especially when you're competing with much younger people. A well typed CV with good spelling and grammar, outlining your vast experience and a good "mission statement" at the top of it showing your strengths, makes a great initial impact. Very often employers these days have consultants working for them who advise them on what sort of person produces what type of CV. Appear confident and competent from the outset.
Find all posts by this user
01-06-2005, 10:31 PM
I was going to suggest a damn good CV aargees, but I disagree with Patsy about the content - mission statements and the like are so clichéd now that they are virtually meaningless. Also don't focus on your past jobs - list your achievements;employers want you for what you can do for them, not what you did for others.

And if you haven't grabbed their attention by half-way down the first page, then they won't read further.

I can send you a really good template if you want to PM me.

Smile

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
02-06-2005, 10:16 AM
It was only semi-serious - I've had a bad week looking for a decent job...
I am faced with taking a 60% drop in salary since my last "proper" job, I shall be 59 in a week or two, I guess I'm sort of giving up in many ways.
What I need is a good kick up the whatever and something to LAUGH at!!! :sick:
02-06-2005, 10:27 AM
aargees Wrote:It was only semi-serious - I've had a bad week looking for a decent job...
I am faced with taking a 60% drop in salary since my last "proper" job, I shall be 59 in a week or two, I guess I'm sort of giving up in many ways.
What I need is a good kick up the whatever and something to LAUGH at!!! :sick:

I can certainly oblige with the kick up the ar*se .... its my speciality :smartie:

Just hang on in there. Something will come along, it always does.

As for the 60% drop in salary - wow, thats a lot :wacko: . And i assume you are trying to get another 'proper job', and by that i think you mean 'well paid job' ? I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you .... even though its blummin hard to walk :wink_kiss

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who Finds Fee Interesting? Patsy 41 4,359 28-05-2008 11:12 PM
Last Post: Mars
  Those go on then moments mazwad 18 2,102 09-07-2006 10:27 PM
Last Post: Bella
  Embarrassing moments and humour. Northern angel 194 11,167 23-02-2006 06:00 PM
Last Post: Northern angel
  Anything Interesting to report today?? Flip 758 22,543 27-06-2005 12:31 PM
Last Post: Flip