Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jury Service
24-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Jury Service

I got 'the call up' today.

I have been requested to turn up at the Crown Court at the end of May for a possible two week stint.
I have replied asking for a deferral as I would struggle to get child care sorted for that length of time and bearing in mind that the second week is half term - I would really struggle then.

My questions to you all -

Have you been called up?
Did you do it?
How did it go?
Did you ask for deferral/exemption and did you get it??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Jury Service
Buzz it is my dream to get called up for Jury Service - but I am now exempt. I will never get the call. Being an ex-police officer I would never be deemed as unbiased.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Jury Service
I've never done it - but I would love a really juicy case to get my teeth into Big Grin

[insert signature here]
24-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Jury Service
I think you need a very good reason to opt out Buzz. I'm not saying needing to care for your child isn't an excellent reason, just that if everyone who was called who also looked after their children some or all of the time was exempt, there'd never be any women on the juries!

Sorry to but a dampner on it, and I wish you luck.
24-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Jury Service
Nox Wrote:I think you need a very good reason to opt out Buzz. I'm not saying needing to care for your child isn't an excellent reason, just that if everyone who was called who also looked after their children some or all of the time was exempt, there'd never be any women on the juries!

Very good point foxy noxy, hadn't thought of it like that. Buzz you must go and wave the flag.
24-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Jury Service
Flip Wrote:Buzz it is my dream to get called up for Jury Service - but I am now exempt. I will never get the call. Being an ex-police officer I would never be deemed as unbiased.

I've never had a call up either Flip.....I'm an ex-Special so maybe the bias side applies to me too!

Buzz.....you could always say when they go through selection that you do not think you would be able to give an un-biased ear to proceedings....or is that being esspecially naughty! :naughty:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
24-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Jury Service
I got "called up" in July 2003. Unfortunately I was in Gran Canaria at the time and my mum had to go down to our local Sherrif court with all sorts of papers proving that I wasn't even in the country!

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
24-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Jury Service
I have had the call twice both times after just having had a baby and didn't do it. Would love to do it now though.
24-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Jury Service
Nox Wrote:I think you need a very good reason to opt out Buzz. I'm not saying needing to care for your child isn't an excellent reason, just that if everyone who was called who also looked after their children some or all of the time was exempt, there'd never be any women on the juries!

I take your very valid point on board Nox...however, I do not have any real support system in place to take care of the children, whilst I would be at court and I believe they would be able to find another suitable person to take my place in court....I however, won't be able to find another suitable person to take care of my children for a fortnight.
24-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Jury Service
I have never been called and I am not bothered either way if I am or not. If I am I will do my duty and if I'm not it is not something I will feel I have missed out on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  customer service kookycat 10 1,393 27-02-2006 02:29 AM
Last Post: Northern angel
  your internet & email service survivorfan 14 2,047 11-04-2005 08:46 AM
Last Post: Isis