Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just thinking really !!
31-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Just thinking really !!

I was reading the Saturday Mail (ok don’t shoot me) last weekend, and there was an article in there about grief, and how we now show it.

Basically there have been many many tragic deaths in this country, like the Hungerford shootings where 16 people were killed, the IRA bombings in London etc ….. but its only recently that our outpouring of grief has changed.

The lady who wrote the article pin pointed it at the time when Jamie Bulger died. Apparently it was the media who took this story and made it into the HUGE media fest that it became. She said that many many murders are commited in the UK, but the fact that Jamie was so angelic looking, made him prime paper selling fodder. Also – he was NEVER called Jamie by his parents or those who knew him, he was always James, but the papers thought Jamie sounded cuter.

The papers whipped this story into a frenzy, and the public read everything they could lay their hands on, and got into such a state that a few people hammered on the prison van, saying they wanted to kill the two boys when they were convicted. If it hadn’t of been for the papers, would this have happened ?

The same when Diana died. Apparently we spent many many millions of pounds on flowers to lay in memory of her. We shed huge tears and every paper / TV ran weeks and weeks of text / stories dedicated for her. But we all soon forgot. A year after her death there was going to be a walk through London in her memory. The organisers expected 300,000 people ….. 300 turned up. It’s the 8th anniversary of her death today, has anyone remembered ? If it were a family member we would of done, but not Diana’s death as the papers haven’t drummed it into us that we have to remember.

So – can we blame the papers for whipping a story into a frenzy and do we take what they say to our hearts ? All the books of condolence that get opened when people die …. Why ? Why do flowers always get left on the side of the road if someone dies. That never used to happen as we would grieve privately behind closed doors with close friends and relatives. I read on Yahoo this morning that 650 Iraqis were trampled to death, but because they aren’t blonde, blue eyed and in this country – we probably wont hear much about this terrible tragedy. Is it wrong.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Just thinking really !!
I think that it may partly be due to the influence upon us of other cultures. In Greece, for example, for certain serious road traffic accidents, they erect a small shrine in which is placed an icon, possibly photos of the deceased, some oil, and maybe a burning lamp.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
31-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Just thinking really !!
I sense some bad rep. coming my way...

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
31-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Just thinking really !!
Blink Wrote:I sense some bad rep. coming my way...

why would that be then ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
31-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Just thinking really !!
Oops. I posted that message in the wrong thread. What a cretin I am.

31-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Just thinking really !!
I know exactly what you are saying Bonnie, and to some extent I agree, yet I still have some horrific murders and slayings in my mind that the outrage/grief was tangible - like the ones you mentioned.

Mary Bell is one example - now this happened, probably before you were born Bonnie, but I still have memories of the public outrage when she was convicted of the murders. The Yorkshire Ripper victims were also given 'media funerals' [sorry if that sounds insensitive] - and I know that the country was gripped by the YR for months, if not years.

But there is no doubt that the way victims are remembered and the grief that accompanies their demise does seem to be more 'high profile' nowadays.

I don't know if this is the wrong way or the right way - it certainly is the fashionable way.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

31-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Just thinking really !!
Blink Wrote:Oops. I posted that message in the wrong thread. What a cretin I am.

You just want a spank don't you Blink.

Good point Bonny. I have thought before about why some tradegy's make the papers and some don't - there was a horrific road accident in my sisters village a few weeks ago that only made a tiny column in the nationals - why? But I really dont' know what I would prefer - the nation mourning with me or to be left alone - I think I would rather be left alone.
31-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Just thinking really !!
Interesting thread Bonnie.
I was in Australia during the London bombings this year and people over there were saying that the photographers for every newspaper were taking photos of all the young, pretty, blonde girls with blood on them etc instead of the more 'ugly' people, so to speak, in order for the story to have a bigger impact on people looking at the photos.
Don't know if there's any truth in that, though.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
31-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Just thinking really !!
The "media" seems to sink lower and lower doesn't it? We watch shocked and grief-stricken people having microphones poked at them and being asked awful leading questions to try and get them to speak about the horrific things they witnessed. "Did you see any bodies?" "was there a lot of blood?" etc. Most of the people interviewed are in shock and trot out answers on "auto-pilot". It ought to be stopped. I cringe when I see it but it happens all the time, no matter what the tragedy. :ranting:
31-08-2005, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2005 06:04 PM by Bella.)
Just thinking really !!
Re The Yorkshire Ripper murders, I also think that Sarah Payne's was glorified as well. If I was a parent of a murdered child I would want that day to be very private, I would ask for the media to stay away and hope that they would respect my wishes.

That's what the media is all about though, beautiful people with beautiful homes isn't it?

The thing is we are gripped to these sort of stories, how many hours did you spend watching 9/11? How many times did you see the sames scenes again & again? We are all guilty of it. My daughter asked the other day why nothing good ever happened in the news..............

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT