Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Katrina vs the waves
31-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Katrina vs the waves

Just been listening to the radio and the Septics (yanks) are spouting on how this is thier Tsunami.................FFS.......

Where are the 250,000 dead

They have or could have insurance

They are the richest country in the world

it's only a bit of wind and water...are they made of salt??

editted to add

THEY KNEW IT WAS ####ing COMING

editted to add

BUILD ON HIGHER GROUND YOU ####WITS

do you see I'm a little put out?!?!

Mind you...anything with a womans name thats as wet and windy and has a hole 50km wide should be avoided.....!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Katrina vs the waves
Wow Slips - are you a bit peeved per chance??

I hear what you are saying, loud and clear, and personally I cannot make a comparison between the Boxing Day Tsunami and Katrina. Are you saying that the Americans are comparing it to the Asian Tsunami?? If so they will know themselves that saying things like that are not going to curry favour with many people - I suspect it is a media thing - surely??

I have a very good friend who married an American lady, they live on the side of a lake 25 miles from the centre of New Orleans. I am waiting to hear from him to gauge the damage for real - and I have no doubt that there will be damage.

But it sure looks like a centralised massive damaged area - if the news reports are aything to go by. I wonder could msgirl shed anymore light on the scale of the damage - she is a southern belle, and will have more up to date accurate knowledge than the media stories.

It looks terrrible and I don't envy the people of Louisiana or surrounding states - and I hope they get stuff back to normal relatively quickly. But there is no way that this disaster is anywhere near as bad as the Asian Tsunami, and I agree Slipper that the US has billions at its disposal for rebuilding unlike the poorer Asian countries.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Katrina vs the waves
I agre and the same thought went through my mind when I saw the news this morning. They will be able to rebuild, and claim insurance, they haven't had their whole family wiped out. I think at the last count there was around 250 dead, which is still devestating but nothing compared to the Asian Tsunami.

What I don't get is why did people stay? They knew this was coming for days. If I lived there I would have left the area in the days running up to it.

I certainly will not be giving any aid to the Disaster Fund for this!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
31-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Katrina vs the waves
I have just seen the headline in todays paper which read "This is their tsunami" and a picture of New Orleans submerged in water. And yes, I thought the same thing - how can they even compare this to the Asian tsunami on Boxing Day?
I have no doubt that Hurricane Katrina has devasted countless people and the death toll is still terrible - but no way near that of the Asian tsunami.
I would be intrested to hear msgirl's views on this since she experienced the hurricane first hand.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
31-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Katrina vs the waves
PJ Wrote:I have just seen the headline in todays paper which read "This is their tsunami" and a picture of New Orleans submerged in water. And yes, I thought the same thing - how can they even compare this to the Asian tsunami on Boxing Day?.

But by 'they' I guess you mean whoever writes the news headlines - and it's not just the American media who exaggerate is it, we do the same here all the time for dramatic impact. I think you have to make allowances for 'poetic licence'.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
31-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Katrina vs the waves
Well, I've read what has been said and I agree. People know for up to a week to evacuate when these storms come. People have always built shore and always will I suppose. A lot of the people stay to ride it out b/c they 1) don't think it'll be that bad 2) they think they have to be with their belongings so no one loots them 3) some are just CRAZY. I know people are devastated and will still don't know all of the figures, but live goes on. Some whole families were killed though in Biloxi, albeit to not leaving WATERFRONT flats to go to higher ground. I think it's a tad overly dramatic to compare it to the tsumani that hit Asia, it is a life altering thing for everyone here though and I suppose they have nothing to compare it to. Bear in mind that New Orleans hasn't flooded in about 300 yrs. due to the levee system the French built on the North and South sides to keep out the Mississippi River and Lake Ponchatrain. Right now they are trying to completly and utterly evacuate New Orleans because of the flooding and imminent disease and dangers. The Coast of MS is 90% devestated. All the property that was up to 6-8 blocks of the beachfront is GONE. It will be a long arduous task but these people will rebuild with the aid of insurance money, federal emergency money, grants, etc. Something the poor people of Asia did not have. Our Governor, Hailey Barbour is a drama queen about a lot of things. I've been to budget town hall meetings where he would make you think he and his family were living on a shoe-string budget while the rest of us lived the high life. Again, I'm sorry for the situation, I really am but we have people in our town that evacuated from N.O. b/c they KNEW it would be the POTENTIAL for this situation. So there's always going to be the question..."Why didn't you just leave/evacuate/not live there/build further inland....etc". I guess that's my sermon for the day guys. xo msgirl

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
31-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Katrina vs the waves
Good thread title, Mr Comfyshoe. Did you make that up?
01-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Katrina vs the waves
Slipper Wrote:it's only a bit of wind and water...are they made of salt??
!

Having seen the latest news footage of the devastation I think that's like saying the tsunami was just a little wave. 80% of a major city underwater is a real catastrophe.

I think the comparison with the tsunami was a resonable one in that both would have been considered the worst natural disater to hit the country in question.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
01-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Katrina vs the waves
Bella Wrote:I certainly will not be giving any aid to the Disaster Fund for this!

Is there going to be a 'fund' ???

This is going off tangent, and might make me seem like a hard cow - but we have been told recently not to hold back and say what we feel.

I went into the HSBC recently, and there was a sign up for people to donate to the London bombing on 7/7. It was from Ken Livingstone i think. But what went through my mind was .... why ? Why do we, the masses, have to give money to get London back on its feet ? Surely the government have so much money that it doesnt need us, the general public to donate, i mean, we (i.e. the government) are permanently giving aid to other countries to help them, so we must have a very large kitty that can be used on our own country if we are in need.

The Tsunami is a totally different kettle of fish. They need our help and our money - but why cant the government look after our own when they give so much money away on a bi yearly basis ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
01-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Katrina vs the waves
My word....for once a septic and I agree....has the world stopped spinning??

SF...The first time I heard the comparison was in an interview with a rather loud local who was spouting off to a radio (BBC) journo....

Re the scale of the damage I totally accept that the damage is devistating to most, life-changing to many and catasrophic to some but as we all know...there was a warning, it happens in that part of the world (this is the 11th this year), the city is below sea/river/lake level.

A question I would like to return to is about those who stayed. A rep for the city said that "it's cos them is poor (boy)"....hang on...so the authorities couldn't find some buses/planes/boats to get people out before it hit?!? Yet they can find some kind of transport now when the infrastructure is bu@@ered!! How does that work??

As MSgirl says, this is the first major flood in 300yrs...

One other thought theough - Levee system built by the French - Guess the Yanks will be sueing France for not adequately protecting the city and its populous now???

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  US rejects UK Katrina beef survivorfan 14 1,463 16-10-2005 07:16 PM
Last Post: Bonsai