Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keyboard help
06-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Keyboard help

Ok, now I am learning Te Reo Maori I need to be able to put macrons on the top of some of the vowels but my UK keyboard doesn't have one sitting about on it like the Kiwi ones do! I'm told there is a way of doing it though, can anyone tell me what it is please? Huh
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2005, 06:25 AM
Keyboard help
Voicey - my keyboard is a bit over the hill and doesn't do it anymore but the way to get them over a vowel is to press 'Alt Gr' at the same time as the vowel!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Keyboard help
Voice. If you are working in a Word document, you can go to 'insert' then go down to 'symbol' and all these sorts of things come up, you then highlight the one you want and it goes in...
Find all posts by this user
07-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Keyboard help
Thanks both, Flip I need a flat line (macron) not a slanty accent (é) but the word one works anyway, thanks Buzz Smile
07-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Keyboard help
Voice of reason Wrote:Flip I need a flat line (macron) not a slanty accent (é)

V - I am hopeless with languages are you able to tell me the difference in the sound of a word with a macron on the top of it - do you think - pretty please! Big Grin

And then again what does a slanty line mean above a word - next time we talk can you say something very clever to me in Te Reo Maori - and I shall be most impressed, and very envious!!!:wink2:

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2005, 01:49 AM
Keyboard help
Flip Wrote:V - I am hopeless with languages are you able to tell me the difference in the sound of a word with a macron on the top of it - do you think - pretty please! Big Grin

The macron lengthens the vowel sound, so that 'a' becomes 'aa', it's very important to get it right as some words sound exactly the same (and are spelt the same) unless you add the macron and lengthen it properly. Some words are actually rude without the macron, so it's best to get it right!
08-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Keyboard help
Voice, to view the windows character map (which shows you keyboard shortcuts(or longcuts) to all symbols, go Start, all programs, accessories, system tools, character map.

You will then be shown all available windows characters. Click on the one you want to use and copy & paste it into your document (use CTRL V to paste)

ē

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
08-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Keyboard help
Ahhh cheers Floopy! :thumbsup: ā

I didn't even know that character map existed! You're a star, that'll make my homework a lot easier Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Keyboard Help Groucho 10 1,051 26-06-2006 02:56 AM
Last Post: Northern angel