Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kidnapped Journalist guy released...so soon!
21-10-2005, 09:40 AM

Well..that must have been one of the shortest kidnapps in history.Thank Goodness.That Guardian journalist was so very lucky, in light of what happened to Margaret Hassain and Ken Bingley and the others who were murdered.Even the others who were eventually released..the Italian, French and the Japanese were held for months before being let go.
A very happy ending in this case.I watched it on telly last night, it was his mother's birthday and you can imagine her delight when he phoned home to wish her a happy birthday and to say he was free.
Phew!

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Phew my eye!

Those journalists and contractors alike have one thing in common and that is a death wish. I feel for Mr Bigley's family and the families of all those associated with the terrible merciless business of kidnappings in Iraq but they knew it came with the territory. Their going to Iraq was never going to be tantamount to a weekend in Margate or Blackpool and they knew it!

I've seen the awful video footage of some of the beheadings including Ken Bigley's and the two Americans (who were taken with Bigley) that met the same fate prior to Mr Bigley's own and they are powerful images that shall stay with me for a long long time.

Yes it is true that all they were trying to do was earn a living. They are paid handsomely for their work which is of course the lure, though you would find that some, perhaps most journalists thrive on the adrenaline which that their chosen occupation can often provide.

I wouldn't have travelled out there in that climate, and most likely nobody on this forum would have either. Mr Bigley and the thousands of other journalists and contractors chose to. It was a risk they were willing to take and unfortunately Ken Bigley paid the ultimate price for the risk that he took. All he wanted was a better life for his wife and himself and nobody deserves to die in that manner but.

Through cruel fate that never materialized due to his not having bargained for the evil intentions of al-Zarqawi and his crew but lets face it, he and the two Americans surely must have felt a tad uncomfortable even if they were accomodated in the relatively prosperous district of Mansoor.

While the intentions of these people travelling over there on their own volition are good ones, I find it a little naive of them if they hadn't weighed up the dangers beforehand.

And al-Zarqawi is proving to be as slippery a customer as the Bin-Laden fella. With a hefty ransom hanging over his head I find it awfully peculiar as to why the Americans have not yet pinned either of the two down. Strange isn't it, especially when one considers they managed to locate the Saddam Hussein bloke without breaking too much sweat.....:gunsmilie

:sun: w o o d s t o c k:beer:
"I'm not a bird, I'm a festival!" :bored:
21-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Woodstock Wrote:I've seen the awful video footage of some of the beheadings including Ken Bigley's and the two Americans (who were taken with Bigley) that met the same fate prior to Mr Bigley's own and they are powerful images that shall stay with me for a long long time.

I find that quite disturbing. Why would anyone want to watch these?

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
22-11-2005, 12:00 AM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2005 12:07 AM by Woodstock.)
ah, right.....

That's because I took and still take a real interest in events of the "war" in Iraq. I actually have approximately 20 videos full of news footage from all aspects of the "war" including the military build-up right up to the toppling of the Saddam statue. I make it my business to view the "war" from all angles and where i can, tap into the emotion of the "war" and the implications that it has on all parties associated with the "war".

In order to have the truth and severities spelled out to you, you do occasionally have to grit your teeth and be prepared to absorb "the truths" regardless of how grim, so that you are then able to have some semblance of the real impact and horrors that a war such as that which is taking place in Iraq brings.

I have no shame in viewing the video footage no more than I have any shame switching on the News at Ten to watch the footage that they provide for the viewing audience (which hardly amounts to "Mary Poppins" either). I decided to brave the footage of the beheadings because at the time the kidnappings had a real impact on not just myself but i would say the whole country and beyond. I wanted to absorb what Ken Bigley and his two American associates actually endured and it was truly horrifying, not only their final moments but also the feeling of desperation, helplessness, and aloneness during the entire trial of their kidnapping. I decided to absorb it and I'm truly glad i did because it changed my opinion of the war and I feel terribly sorry for the American soldiers who are being asked to put themselves in harms way as a daily routine, and i think that that is a tragic state of affairs when one considers the true motives of the U.S. government.

It is this type of footage which is acquired by the U.S. government when it becomes available, that brings about such hefty ransoms over the perpetrator's heads. Without viewing the footage they would never know just how dispicable these acts are and the same applies to the viewing audience of the public in general. It is powerful imagery and of course there will be those who choose not to watch it and that is a perogative and there will be those who do opt to view the footage which is also a perogative. My own reasons (not that i have to give them) are purely half voyeuristic and half what i have explained above. There will always be an element of voyeurism, which is natural, but it was powerful enough imagery to make me realize that no war and the seduction of business that it generates is worth someone being lured into the thick of it only to have their head lopped off.

Incidentally I also happened to catch sight of an almost completely burned victim of a suicide bomber crawling around in his (or hers - could hardly tell really) death throes......that was shown on the News at Ten, and no, I didn't have a choice to see that imagery but i found it equally as disturbing. I was expecting a routine news report and the network just threw it out there to the viewing audience without any prior warning (usually they forewarn by stating that "the report contains footage that some viewers may find disturbing", which is the very moment half of us turn away and the other half begin watching with baited breath. And let's face it, the news networks so enjoy having the opportuinity to hand out these warnings!)

Why is that? - it's because they know that people want to see these images and i credit the networks for that courage and willingness to share because without such footage there really wouldn't be much foundation for the public to be dissuaded from supporting the war or for that matter any incentive for protest against the war beyond that which is otherwise camouflaged or obscured.

:sun: w o o d s t o c k:beer:
"I'm not a bird, I'm a festival!" :bored:
22-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Woodstock Wrote:Those journalists and contractors alike have one thing in common and that is a death wish.

Woodstock Wrote:it is true that all they were trying to do was earn a living

So - which is it then?
23-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Are you a crimson haddock, or...

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Woodstock Wrote:They are paid handsomely for their work which is of course the lure, though you would find that some, perhaps most journalists thrive on the adrenaline which that their chosen occupation can often provide.
Ah... I see... They had it coming.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user