Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids and Chess
10-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Kids and Chess

For any parents out there who want their kids to shine (and who doesn't) - a little tip!

Teach a child to play chess from about 5 years old, they do pick it up very quickly, and the bonus? Well, it teaches them about strategy, how to think and plan ahead, and makes their little brains tick that bit harder.

I have been watching a group of 5-6 year olds playing, and they are dammed good, it's an odd sight, especially when a watching 4 year old will warn one of them they have put a piece in jeopardy! Huh

It's now been proven that children who play chess from an early age do better at school....Huh, I could have told them that!

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Kids and Chess
I like to play chess, but if I play anyone who's any good at it I get thrashed pretty easily because I just don't have it... I wish I'd played from an early age!

There are three types of mathmatician:
Those who can count and those who can't!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Kids and Chess
Thanks Nitty - I shamefully have to admit I cannot play chess, although I am a master at draughts. But Mr F can - I shall mention this to him and he could maybe teach our youngest the rudiments of chess.

There is a Chess Club at my eldest's school - and I am sure he would go if it weren't such a 'nerdy' type of club to go to. You know what I mean, the stereotypical anorak child. I wish this weren't the case!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

12-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Kids and Chess
Chess is the one game my mum can still whip me at.....I enjoy playing but find it hard to concentrate for as long as is needed to really do the game justice...my mum on the other hand can sit for hours planing the next frontal assault...it is a truely great game and one I would like to be better at....

I started playing from a very young age...watched my mum and brother play whilst I was too young myself and then yeah must have been 5 (if not younger) when I started to play aswell...we always had a game on the go! :wink2:

Mind you...my school grades were average enough (8 C's a B and an A at CCSE)....but I have always had good practical problem solving skills and find it easy to think outside the box as it were so maybe the Chess has stretched my imagination as much as anything else!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
12-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Kids and Chess
I can play chess but I'm not very good at planning moves, can't really think to far in advance. I just move a piece, then see what happens next.:laugh:

Maybe I should get a set for my kids, although they would probably end up thrashing me at it:w00t:

[Image: 429.gif]
15-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Kids and Chess
I used to love chess as a youngster, but i think Playstation, x-box etc blew it out for most kids of this day and age.

We used to get comics every week - now it's cd roms and new playstation games.
I did however once (and only once ) beat Graham Miles, who was the youngest Grand Master ever at the time. My dad was his dad's boss so he probably was told to lose lol. I remember vividly the lovely leather chair that some Russian Grand Master presented him with though fabulous it was.
19-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Kids and Chess
Eternity Wrote:For any parents out there who want their kids to shine (and who doesn't) - a little tip!

Teach a child to play chess from about 5 years old, they do pick it up very quickly, and the bonus? Well, it teaches them about strategy, how to think and plan ahead, and makes their little brains tick that bit harder.

I have been watching a group of 5-6 year olds playing, and they are dammed good, it's an odd sight, especially when a watching 4 year old will warn one of them they have put a piece in jeopardy! Huh

It's now been proven that children who play chess from an early age do better at school....Huh, I could have told them that!

Agree that it makes you think and concentrate , but I don't think chess teaches you to be better prepared to deal with life. In chess evrything follows a pattern, there are so many set moves. Life throws you so many unpredictable wobblies that you can't manage it like a game of chess - although I bet there are lots of people who think you should be able to.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
21-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Kids and Chess
Chess and Backgammon were regular board games in our household growing up. I don't play that often but find if I put my mind to it can do very well.....but same as in real life....I get bored with the wait - so it taught me nothing.

Great game and a good exercise for any mind.