Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitchens?
13-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Kitchens?

OK, I'm a complete "kitchen bore" at the moment because I haven't got one and I have to get a new one.

I've had the same one for about 18 years now and it was the cheapest MFI formica type thing. There are so many different ones now.

All you lovely folks out there must either have inherited one or had a new one put in so, please, I would like to ask for your help in deciding what cabinets, flooring, worktops etc. work best or what things to avoid.

To start with, flooring. Does laminate flooring work in kitchens or does it get slippery when wet, scuff easily, spoil quick etc. I don't mind a nice bit of vinyl floor covering (easy to change when it gets manky or you fancy something different). What do you think? Laminate or lino?

Cabinets? Any that you've found particularly hard/easy to keep clean?

worktops? Have you had any disasters with your choice of worktops?

Sinks and drainers? Set into the worktop or rolled edge type?

Before I go out and make some expensive mistakes I'd love to know what you like or loathe about your kitchens. :thumbsup:
Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Kitchens?
Critique, keep away from a wooden kitchen as the grease is a nightmare to come off!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Kitchens?
I am madly jealous. A new kitchen is top of my wish list, and bottom of the reality list Sad

My aunt however swears by Marmoleum for kitchens and bathrooms and it does look fabulous. Huge range of colours and very hardwearing. I think it's what used to be called linoleum, but it's much improved. You can get it in sheet or tile.

I inherited a wood laminate floor which was OK till I had a leak (not me personally :laugh: ) and it lifted. It's also a b*gger to clean and polish, so I don't.

The sink was originally one of those white things, but had got badly stained - I think good old stainless steel is best.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
13-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Kitchens?
OK - i hate stainless steel sinks .... because they stain. Whoever said they were stainless were lying. I prefer the plastic type ones as they comes up lovely using flash liquid gel. Fabby.

I inherited my kitchen, and its wooden. Its ok i suppose, and the fact that my kitchen is the size of a postage stamp means it will probably never get redone. We are (after the lounge) painting the kitchen walls n/ ceiling and putting in marble floor tiles. We got marble for the bathroom and i love it as its easy to clean. We go a job lot cheap, and it will go nicely in the kitchen too - so that will do for me (I cant wait to see the dog slipping and sliding all over it !!!).

We will also be installing spot lights.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
13-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Kitchens?
Mine doesn't :kid:

Bleach brings it up lovely.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
13-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Kitchens?
my kitchen is beaut, and I am gutted that I am selling the house just cos of the kitchen!!!!

It is tiled from top to bottom, and its laminated floor, which I have to admit is a big no no in future!!!! the units are Royal Daulton and gorge, and its wooden work surfaces, but i would go for granite in future!!! for flooring, I would go for limestone.........

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
13-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Kitchens?
I would love a new kitchen, but, like Fee, it's merely a pipedream at the moment. Mr P desperately wants to go abroad for Christmas (mainly because we're due up to my parents' this year) and reckons we can afford it. I have said that if we can afford that, we can afford a new kitchen. We never go away for Christmas and I don't really see why we should start now when there are other more pressing priorities. Like the fact that we have been talking about decorating our house for years and nothing ever gets done.

Our neighbours across the way, who are council tenants who work minimum hours and never go anywhere and whose kids have designer clothes, have just had a new kitchen and flooring :glare:. The kitchen is white and is ok (not my choice), but the floor tiles are lovely. Black tiles, approx 18" square, that are very easy to wash and don't stain. Practical and aesthetically pleasing. I do like a white kitchen because it tends not to date.

From choice, I would have a butler sink because I think they look great, but it really has to be in keeping with the rest of the kitchen.
13-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Kitchens?
I am in the process of choosing a new kitchen too. It's fun!

Crit - stay away frrom laminate flooring in the kitchen, if your washing machine leaks it will be boll ocksed. Lino or tiles are my preferred choice.

Cupboards - go for the best you can afford.
13-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Kitchens?
I currently have a larder cupboard and would definitely try and get one if/when I get a new kitchen.
13-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Kitchens?
I loved the kitchen in my last house. We spent a fortune on it and it was HUGE. I think it was 27 foot x 20 foot. I loved it.

We went for a white kitchen with black tiles on the kitchen half ... and where the seating area was we bought some amazing wallpaper that looked like steel.

I miss that kitchen.

We had a waste disposal too - and i barely used it. I dont miss it at all.

When we decorate our kitchen where we are now i have told Mr.B that we will need to buy a new sink / drainer. Maybe my drainer is so marked because its soooo old ? Nothing will bring it up all sparkly. I think there is a lot of limescale on it too - and i leave limescale remover sitting on it for hours - and when i rub it off it hasnt done a thing. I HATE IT.

Oh - and as for cookers ...... i bought a ceramic topped one when we moved in here. The very first time i used it, it left a mark on the 'ring'. It wouldnt / couldnt come off. My mum asked me if there was some sort of protective plastic on it that i should of removed ... but even im not THAT stupid.

Basically within 1.5hrs my cooker looks horrid. My mum though has a ceramic topped cooker and hers still looks immaculate. Maybe mine was cheap ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me