Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knife Amnesty
24-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Knife Amnesty

I hope the above is spelt correctly.

I was watching this on the news this morning, asking everyone who carries a knife to give it up and they wont be charged.

I carry a knife Huh I dont during the working day / weekend - but when i take the dog for a walk i always have a flick knife thingy in my pocket.

Mr.B made me carry it as he was walking the dog once and he came across the leg of a cow. It was cut jaggedly cut off, and it worried him what caused it. I mean ..... what could bring down a cow ?

Anyway - he sharpened up a knife and told me to carry it whenever i take the dog out. I have never seen anything odd whilst i have been walking, but it does make me feel like i could stand a chance of protecting myself whilst out and about on my own in a deserted field.

So ...... am i alone ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Knife Amnesty
Bons, I think that's a bad idea. If someome attacked you and you knifed them, you could end up in trouble too. Also, chances are, they they might be niftier wiith a knife than you, and be more likely to use the weapon if they saw you were carrying.

My uncle (ex-police) gave me that advice after a flatmate of mine was beaten up one night coming back from Uni. He said the best thing is to carry your keys, with the keys sticking out between your fingers as that can do a lot of damage to someone's face - and it's just a bunch of keys.

Of course you wouldn't be able to bring home the odd leg of lamb for Sunday dinner as your average Yale isn't much good for dissection.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
24-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Knife Amnesty
Also if it was ever found on you at all you could be charged. It`s difficult but you would probably be better off carrying a large stick then at least you could say it was for the dog.
24-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Knife Amnesty
As far as I am aware it is illegal to carry a flick knife in this country.

In fact - according to Wikipedia

Quote:In England & Wales, a flick knife is considered to be an offensive weapon per se (in that it is specifically designed for the purpose of inflicting injury), and as such it is a criminal offence to possess one in public without lawful authority or reasonable excuse; the maximum penalty for such an offence is four years imprisonment.

I would get rid of it PDQ - the keys idea is a good alternative. Also - don't forget a hard, swift kick in the groin area works wonders

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
24-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Knife Amnesty
I always carry my keys like that if I have to go out in the dark and would have no problem using them if I was attacked.
04-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Knife Amnesty
Rob Wrote:As far as I am aware it is illegal to carry a flick knife in this country.

In fact - according to Wikipedia

I would get rid of it PDQ - the keys idea is a good alternative. Also - don't forget a hard, swift kick in the groin area works wonders

Hello Rob,

A lot of people seem to think that if you are ever attacked the best place to kick someone is in the groin.

This is a serious misconception, as no matter how much you'd like to knee someone in the groin this is the one area a man is most prepared for by instinct. The best thing in the world is to kick them on the ankle funny bone and at the same time use a spray can of perfume aimed at the eyes and run like hell. You should shout and scream on route also to alert passers by.

I was also attacked a long time ago and had a lucky escape. I was 16 and thought I was going on 20. Slim size 12, long dark shiny hair to the back of my knees, a bit of a Crystal Gayle look alike. l was naive and innocent, I hadn't a clue that the man who had pushed me against a wall wanted me to give him a blow job. I stood motionless, I spoke saying I was visiting the printers to pick up some marketing material. I suggested that if I were to scream he would come out of the door and detain him. This guy was amused started talking dirty to me, I just stood, tears began to trickle silently. Whilst I heard the things he wanted to do to me. The printers son came to the door to check on where I was, shouted at me and my assailant ran off. That was my first and last time venturing to that part of Newcastle. I never knew it was the red light area of the city.

A knife in my possession would have been of no use. Had I decided to knee him it would have failed he was at least 6 2 to my 5 5. Had the printers been closed that day, I don't know what would have happened to me. Best not think about it.

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
04-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Knife Amnesty
Hello Bonsai,

I shouldn't go out walking in a deserted field or rural area on your own with the dog. Safety in numbers. Knock up a neighbour or take hubby out for a stroll.

You won't need a knife then. A perfume spray or pepper spray is a wonderful safe deterrent. Which if you have to use will trouble any would be assailant for hours afterwards. Minimal violence to, in true self defense perfectly acceptable and reasonable in any court of law. You knife someone and you will end up the one in trouble instead.

You can buy a pepper spray for that purpose and it is not classed as an offensive weapon.

Maureen
Northern angel.

05-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Knife Amnesty
NA - I 'think' pepper spray is illegal too.

As for the neighbour idea .... it wont work. When i take the dog for a walk its for a long walk. My neighbours are mainly elderly and the ones that arent wouldnt want to waste 1.5hrs of their precious evening walking with me daily.

As for Mr.B, he isnt home until 8:30pm, so its getting dark then. PLUS he wants his dinner.

Nope - its gonna be me walking alone for the time being im afraid.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
05-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Knife Amnesty
My understanding is that in the UK, it is unlawful to carry anything with the purpose of using it as a weapon - self-defence or not - on another. You can however use an iten you have on you as instant armament to protect yourself. And the burden of proof is with the carrier of the item.

So, if you were carrying your house keys when dog-walking, these would be acceptable as presumabley you would need them to get back into your house or car. If you were carrying a spare set of sharpened keys as a potential means of self defence, this would not be acceptable.

Another popular recommendation is a can of spray paint. If you were attacked on your way home from B&Q and defended yourself with a can that you had just purchased to use legitimately around the house, then this woud not be an offence. Carrying a can for the purpose of self-defence would be - and it would be up to you to prove it was in your possession for legitimate reasons.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
05-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Knife Amnesty
Bonsai Wrote:NA - I 'think' pepper spray is illegal too.

As for the neighbour idea .... it wont work. When i take the dog for a walk its for a long walk. My neighbours are mainly elderly and the ones that arent wouldnt want to waste 1.5hrs of their precious evening walking with me daily.

As for Mr.B, he isnt home until 8:30pm, so its getting dark then. PLUS he wants his dinner.

Nope - its gonna be me walking alone for the time being im afraid.

Hello Bonsai,

You know the fact that a pepper spray is one of a number of things you can legally buy suggests that it must be ok. The debate lies in proving that your use of such is only in self defence and that 'you have acted with all due reasonable care and attention to deter an attack or to detain'. The police when they arrest someone also have to prove that they have used all reasonable means and not excessive force. The problem area lies in proving you yourself did not buy the product with the intention of committing any bodily harm or to achieve any unlawful gain.

You also must warn your attacker of your intention to activate a spray. There are also alarms which you can attach to keys or handbags or an item of clothing which can be activated by sound.

I hope you feel safe with your dog. A shame MR B is not available to go strolling with you.

Maureen
Northern angel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  So much for the Knife amnesty Slipper 2 950 20-01-2007 03:36 PM
Last Post: Dolores