Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Hoorah? (been here before)
28-11-2004, 03:23 PM

survivorfan Wrote:Maybe they don't want their council tax money to be spent this way.

Or maybe they don't care much either way and wonder why the Labour Party have gone to so much trouble to outlaw something of such minor national significance, when there are bigger, more pressing issues worthy of attention.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2004, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2004 03:44 PM by survivorfan.)
karenh Wrote:Or maybe they don't care much either way and wonder why the Labour Party have gone to so much trouble to outlaw something of such minor national significance, when there are bigger, more pressing issues worthy of attention.

I think something like two out of three of the British public are in favour of a ban on foxhunting.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
28-11-2004, 05:48 PM
survivorfan Wrote:I think something like two out of three of the British public are in favour of a ban on foxhunting.

Yes, but not so much in favour that they want the police to actively monitor the ban, it would seem.

And I can't help wondering whether that 2:3 ratio would change if, for example, the Labour Party had promised to ban foxhunting provided the public would accept an increase in tax to cover the extra cost of policing the ban.

Its all academic, but its my feeling that the ratio may have gone down somewhat if that had been the proposal.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
28-11-2004, 11:16 PM
survivorfan Wrote:I think something like two out of three of the British public are in favour of a ban on foxhunting.

Well Karen has succinctly put it - although she and I are batting for different teams - why then, do 70% wish that the police would not police hunts??

As Karen so rightly puts this - is that there are far more pressing issues that affect more people in this country than a ban on hunting.

Lets put it this way, and this question is for eveyone, who would be affected by a ban on hunting?? If you answer yes can you give reasons please - just for debates sake!!
29-11-2004, 03:09 PM
I think the arguement that there will always be more pressing issues is an interesting one. For the very reason that it could and always will be used by the pro hunt supporters and others. And yes I can see that there are more pressing issues, but does mean that this will always be put on the back burner due to the 'more pressing issues' and if so is that right? Should things that as less important and not of major national significance always be overlooked.

I think fox hunting should be banned and if my council tax is to rise to police it so be it. I think it is cruel and unnecessary and if farmers need the foxes culled to save their stock then it should be in a more humane way.
30-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Flip Wrote:Well Karen has succinctly put it - although she and I are batting for different teams - why then, do 70% wish that the police would not police hunts??

I didn't see this survey - did they give any reasons?

I suppose too it depends on who commissioned it and how the questions were phrased.

30-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Mrs SF and I were in a nice little pub in West Sussex yesterday lunchtime, but what put me off was the walls were covered with pro-hunting posters (well, propoganda really). I think what put me off was the implication that all who drank within those four walls were 'part of it'.

I had the distinct impression that if you live in a rural area where everyone is part of the pro-lobby (and the 'Countryside Alliance' whatever that really is) then you would really be cast out if you thought otherwise. You just wouldn't fit in. So I think this is to do with membership of a collective party as much as it is to do with killing foxes.

30-11-2004, 08:51 AM
sf - I think you are being a little bit too paranoid there. Those thoughts were your thoughts - not those around you.

Of course, living in the countryside there are likely to be more pro-hunts than anti-hunts. But it is not an exclusive club, there are plenty country folk who are anti and likewise there are plenty of people who live in towns, cities who are pro-hunt.

There are posters up everywhere and one that caught my attention was of 'Bob' [for arguments sake, can't remember his name], Bob is a plumber from town, he is 57 and he is a pro-hunt supporter - the poster is highlighting the fact that it is not just country people who support the hunt.

But if there were posters in the pub you were in - then the assumption I would put on that would be that the owner or landlord/lady were pro-hunt supporters and that a large proportion of their punters were likewise.

My sister is v.pro-hunt - and has her own pub, she, however, would not put up posters, it is her opinion and she is not one to shove her opinion down other peoples throats, and conversely she doesn't want other people to shove their opinion down her throat. So from a sound business pov and a moral issue - she wouldn't do it. Sadly you do get people [like the owner of the pub you were in] who is not quite so tactful or so considerate.
30-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Flip Wrote:sf - I think you are being a little bit too paranoid there. Those thoughts were your thoughts - not those around you.

No, I don't think it was paranoia. There was a fair bit of hunting talk going on among the locals. It definitely felt like a club.

19-05-2007, 10:06 PM
survivorfan Wrote:Mrs SF and I were in a nice little pub in West Sussex yesterday lunchtime...

Blimey, who let you in?

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]