Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning languages
24-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Learning languages

As I've mentioned before Mr V and I are currently learning Te Reo Māori (and my thanks to Floopy for the macron!) and after 5 weeks we are now just beginning to grasp the structure of the language and getting to grips with the pronounciation. We can now form whole sentences...as long as they are on a very limited subject! :laugh: It's not easy but it is fun and I'm enjoying it.

Anyway, I was wondering what languages others here have learned? Did you find it difficult? Or is there a language that you have always longed to be able to speak and just never got around to learning?
Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Learning languages
Well done you Voicey!

I would love to learn German properly, I can just about get by with my limited yet exuberant delivery. It's such a funny language and I love the way the words are made up. It always touches me when I make my attempts at how pleased German people are that you have made and effort. On holiday last year the hotel was predominantly German and I struck up a conversation with two German chaps (rather handsome I must say :naughtySmile and they said that I was the first English person in almost 2 weeks that had made an effort to speak German with them. They weren't the only ones who said this, just the most handsome.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Learning languages
At school I learnt French and German - I can still remember quite a bit of the French but have lost most of the German now.

When I was in my late teens I had a Spanish boyfriend so I took a night-class in Spanish....I still know a few words, but I've forgotten more that I know now.

When I was married I learnt some Turkish, but again through non-use I've forgotten a lot of that, but can still understand a fair bit.

For the past year or so I've been learning Italian on and off - it's very handy because we often have weekends in Italy and although I'm nowhere near fluent I can order food and drinks, ask directions, buy tickets and generally pass the time of day with someone.

My latest venture (since my trip to Sri Lanka) is to learn Tamil - Mr M bought me a Tamil course at the weekend and I've yet to start it, but I want to make sure that when I go back I'm able to at least make chit-chat with people. Very few of the people I met on my trip spoke English and although I met some lovely people after Hello, my name is, and how are you the conversation ground to a halt to there was a lot of grinning and sign language!!
So far I can only say Hello, Goodbye, 1,2,3,4 fruit and pineapple...so I have a lot to learn!
I think it's going to be hard as not only is there the language to get to grips with.....the Tamil language doesn't use the roman alphabet so there's the script to learn too.

I got a really handy book for my trip though....I bought a pciture dictionary so I could just point to a picture of something I wanted in my little book. Handy when asking for food or drink and no-one spoke English.... I also used to to find my way to the post office.
Find all posts by this user
24-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Learning languages
I dont' speak any other language fluently ... I have problems with english sometimes!

But I did live in Germany for four years and could get by quite nicely ... as long as I was in a pub ordering beer, or a restaurant ordering food.

I can also speak very limited school girl french ... but I often get words muddled with my limited knowledge of German so it becomes some kind of foreign essperanto.

My dad speaks Italian and when I was younger he'd help me with my french homework and forget what language it was, so I'd hand in work with italian words in ... d'oh!

I would love to speak a foreign language but alas I have no real aptitude for it and I'm lazy.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
24-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Learning languages
OOOH..well done on learning Máori (excuse the 'a').
I love languages..wish i spoke lots.Wish we did'nt have to learn languages, and that our brains could automatically switch to any language we wanted.
(But not in an evil 'possessed' kind of way.)
I grew up in an Irish Speaking household, and I just love that language.
I learned French in school..and also studied it in college.
I have been learning Italian for the last 3 years and I love it.
And an Ethopian friend is trying patiently to teach me bits and pieces, but it's difficult.
Am thinking of attacking Spanish next but am a bit worried...there might not be room in my head for all of them.
Languages are great!
AD.

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
Find all posts by this user
24-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Learning languages
Nice work on learning Maori. I've done some research on endangered languages for a school project...and a lot of those pacific island languages are among them....and they all seem quite interesting.

I've studied both French and Chinese for many years....so I can understand and sometimes speak them pretty well....although I tend to need refreshers every once in a while so I don't forget what I've learned. lol. I've also taught myself some basic Finnish...but I'm afraid I forgot most of it.

As for languages I would like to learn....well...I'm a bit like Aondeag in that I wish I knew them all......but I would love to learn both Greek and Arabic.
24-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Learning languages
French to a pretty good standard, and enough Spanish to get me by. Studied Russian for a year, not a lot to show for it I'm afraid.

Oh, and I know how to say hello in Burmese.

cheerio!
24-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Learning languages
At school I was so good at French that I have got three O levels - the last two were given as comps because I failed my higher twice.

Nowadays I really with I'd paid more attention as we go to France a lot. I can get by but I really wish I was fluent in the language.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
24-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Learning languages
Does sign language count? Cos I've signed up to do a wee course on that this year. Fingers crossed it's not too hard...

Anyway, as for spoken languages, I'm afraid I only speak English. I did French up to standard grade level but was quite impressed with myself when I spoke (fluent and basic) French to people on my travels.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
25-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Learning languages
Aondeag, I'm told that the, more languages you learn the easier it gets, so your head shouldn't get too full! I also speak reasonable French and that has helped, specially with language structure.

Islandman, Māori is now taught in all NZ schools and is heard spoken widely in the area I live in, which has one of the highest population of Māori people in New Zealand. There are also 'total immersion' schools which teach only in Te Reo, but most people opt to sent their children to integrated schools. I think the situation is better now than it's ever been and the language is slowly being brought back into common usage, lots of every day words used here are Māori anyway.

PJ, Yes sign language does count! It's a great thing to do, I only know the alphabet so if I want to say anything I have to spell it out! Not very efficient a method really. Let us know how you get on Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Languages Minklemar 20 1,409 02-02-2005 08:12 PM
Last Post: floopy