Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legalise Drugs!
30-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Legalise Drugs!

Here's the theory:

All drugs should be made legal, and available on request through a controlled service. The service would be modeled on the existing drug counselling programs; provision would be along with educational programs on drug use, offer of counseling, clean needles, etc etc.

Drug use: Theory is that with the financial incentive to buy-sell drugs stripped away, the dealing networks collapse. This relies on the assumption that drugs are "sold", not bought. With the collapse of the dealing networks, and raised education and control of distribution, there end up fewer users. True?

Cost of service: Would probably be far less than the existing cost to society of drug use.

Where do the drugs come from?: Same place they do now.

Do we agree?

Argument focuses more on the harder drugs, methamphetamines, heroin etc, more so than cannabis which would require different treatment.
Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Legalise Drugs!
One only needs look at the main legal drug of choice available to the UK, ALcohol and you can see the pickle we have got ourselves in over that one being widely available...

**I heart Northern Soul**
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Legalise Drugs!
Aye. Proof positive that people are too stupid to be trusted most of the time.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
30-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Legalise Drugs!
Having seen the effects of drugs of varying varieties on people I have known I can only say the longer they remain illegal the better.

People argue that alcohol and tobacco are drugs...yes they are along with caffine...all perfectly legal, mind altering drugs...however...these things have been in or society since way before the true harming effects where ever known and so as a result they are just that...part of the life in which we live.....to try and ban them now would obviously cause an absolute outrage and people would scream about civil rights and so we allow particularly drinking and smoking (both huge killers in the UK) to continue. I beleive that if alcohol & tobaco were discovered today it would be under the same restrictions as the illegal drugs are now.

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
30-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Legalise Drugs!
the argument to legalise marijuana is well established and i can see that working medically. however, the associations that go with a lot of drugs - initiation, social group/culture, experimentation/risk taking etc etc all take place in a particular way - i just cant see people queuing up if they wanted to experiment. i know i wouldnt - it would be done in private.

i think theres a lot more to this than the bought/sold debate.so, no i dont think this will work.

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
Find all posts by this user
30-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Legalise Drugs!
tonee Wrote:i just cant see people queuing up if they wanted to experiment. i know i wouldnt - it would be done in private.

But isn't that part of it? The initiation procedure generally starts when young, and when being influenced by others either in their peer group or slightly older. The key incentive to the elders of the peer group is financial, either to support their own habit or make "more money than can be made flipping burgers". There is a powerful financial incentive to rope others into a drug habit, and the question becomes "if this dynamic is removed, and one of education is introduced, would more or fewer people end up taking drugs?"

The side question is also the crime associated with getting money to pay for drugs, and the unknown number of victims therefrom. If the financial incentive removed, would this crime happen? I don't think so, or it would be dramatically reduced.

On alcohol, don't forget prohibition in the US. Didn't work (and ulimately resulted in us getting the Dukes of Hazzard).

Cigarettes? The best thing the government can do is break the "beer and cigarette" culture by banning it in pubs. Thats where a lot of kids "learn" to smoke.

Just one mouse opinion.

mmmm, big topic.
31-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Legalise Drugs!
In answer to the title of the topic 'NO'.

End of!

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
04-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Legalise Drugs!
i just wouldnt see this working. a highly addictive drug such as heroin freely available?? i dont think so. would just encourage those who wouldnt normally take it to try it because the state provides it and is therefore "ok". and the state couldnt control the addiction, once people got addicted they would want more and more which the state would obviously not give out and then there would be the selling of drugs illegally which brings us back full circle. so no it would not work and as a taxpayer i would not allow it.

kookycat? she makes exceedingly good posts

[Image: pot002.gif]

[Image: egg03061.gif]
04-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Legalise Drugs!
Legalise it, tax it, measure it.

Establish the true extent of the problem and use the taxes raised to do something about it.

I can see how that would work.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
05-09-2005, 07:40 AM
Legalise Drugs!
Except that due to intelligence (and by analogy the experience of other countries) we already have a fair good assessment of the extent of the problem. Drugs create SUCH havoc that I'm not sure a national "experiment" to find out how bad things would be if drugs were legalised, would be all that wise.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!