Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leon Jackson - When You Believe - Review
11-05-2008, 10:51 PM

Reality pop hits an all-time LOW.

It's easy to say that these reality pop contests have created some genuinely horrific acts. I don't know about the US, but in the UK the likes of Pop Idol and X Factor and their relative knock-offs have unleashed the likes of David Sneddon, Michelle McManus, Journey South, Chico, The McDonald Brothers, Steve Brookstein and a whole assortment of bargain bin bound karaoke no-marks onto an unsuspecting chart, all doing well in their first releases but then dropping like a stone when the sheep have moved onto greener pastures. These acts are all utterly banal, boring and awful.

Well guess what, readers? Your 2007 X-Factor winner - Leon Jackson - is easily the worst of them all.

So, another year, another pub singer turned "superstar" and this one is almost comically appalling. Dances like a Thunderbird puppet that's just dropped a load into its trousers, and sings like every half-decent drunk student at a karaoke bar; can hold a tune - barely at times - but not enough that you would even look up from your pint. And THIS was the winner of the biggest talent show in Britain. Weep for us, won't you?

So he was hopeless, that much we know, but easily the most galling, hateful thing about Leon, and indeed, the X-Factor in general, was his sob story. It seems you can't take part in these diabolical contests without something to make you blub in front of the cameras. People have come in wheelchairs, with tales of dead parents/brothers/husbands, of being bullied at school.. every tragedy under the sun has plagued these wretched people. So what was Leon's tale of woe and heartache?

His mother brought him up alone.

Yes, obviously to tap into that never-ending UK resource - the single mum, which was a shrewd move, given that about 90% of the X-Factor audience is 14 with two kids under their belts. So we were supposed to care that this boring, monosyllabic runt deserved a million pound deal and number one records - because his mummy and daddy didn't live together. Never mind talent or charisma or, hell, a singing voice - who needs that? He's got a single mum. Phone that premium rate number now!

Sigh. It's all too depressing. So I suppose we should talk about the actual song he's releasing? Must we? Go on then; well, it's a cover of the doomed Mariah Carey/Whitney Houston song from a few years ago that absolutely no one liked. But it has "believe" in the title, see, so they can pretend it makes some weak reference to the "believe in yourself" attitude of the show.

All in all - the absolute worst winner of any TV talent show show - EVER - with easily one of the worst singles. Simon Cowell's credibility and the X-Factor brand will suffer greatly with this one, and I wouldn't be surprised if Leon is erased from X-Factor continuity the same way Steve Brookstein was.

That this record is even being released is staggering. That it will no doubt sell millions is not only depressing, it's also a jaw-dropping example of the stupidity and easily lead mentality of this program's lower-class audience. Leon Jackson is a monumental embarrassment for all concerned and a 100% guaranteed failure.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2008, 06:14 PM
The Curmudgeon Wrote:Reality pop hits an all-time LOW.

It's easy to say that these reality pop contests have created some genuinely horrific acts. I don't know about the US, but in the UK the likes of Pop Idol and X Factor and their relative knock-offs have unleashed the likes of David Sneddon, Michelle McManus, Journey South, Chico, The McDonald Brothers, Steve Brookstein and a whole assortment of bargain bin bound karaoke no-marks onto an unsuspecting chart, all doing well in their first releases but then dropping like a stone when the sheep have moved onto greener pastures. These acts are all utterly banal, boring and awful.

Well guess what, readers? Your 2007 X-Factor winner - Leon Jackson - is easily the worst of them all.

So, another year, another pub singer turned "superstar" and this one is almost comically appalling. Dances like a Thunderbird puppet that's just dropped a load into its trousers, and sings like every half-decent drunk student at a karaoke bar; can hold a tune - barely at times - but not enough that you would even look up from your pint. And THIS was the winner of the biggest talent show in Britain. Weep for us, won't you?

So he was hopeless, that much we know, but easily the most galling, hateful thing about Leon, and indeed, the X-Factor in general, was his sob story. It seems you can't take part in these diabolical contests without something to make you blub in front of the cameras. People have come in wheelchairs, with tales of dead parents/brothers/husbands, of being bullied at school.. every tragedy under the sun has plagued these wretched people. So what was Leon's tale of woe and heartache?

Yes, obviously to tap into that never-ending UK resource - the single mum, which was a shrewd move, given that about 90% of the X-Factor audience is 14 with two kids under their belts. So we were supposed to care that this boring, monosyllabic runt deserved a million pound deal and number one records - because his mummy and daddy didn't live together. Never mind talent or charisma or, hell, a singing voice - who needs that? He's got a single mum. Phone that premium rate number now!

Sigh. It's all too depressing. So I suppose we should talk about the actual song he's releasing? Must we? Go on then; well, it's a cover of the doomed Mariah Carey/Whitney Houston song from a few years ago that absolutely no one liked. But it has "believe" in the title, see, so they can pretend it makes some weak reference to the "believe in yourself" attitude of the show.

All in all - the absolute worst winner of any TV talent show show - EVER - with easily one of the worst singles. Simon Cowell's credibility and the X-Factor brand will suffer greatly with this one, and I wouldn't be surprised if Leon is erased from X-Factor continuity the same way Steve Brookstein was.

That this record is even being released is staggering. That it will no doubt sell millions is not only depressing, it's also a jaw-dropping example of the stupidity and easily lead mentality of this program's lower-class audience. Leon Jackson is a monumental embarrassment for all concerned and a 100% guaranteed failure.

You obviously dont have any taste for good music then? as Leon won fair and square and was one of the BEST reality tv show winners Ive ever seen I have also been fortunate enough to meet Leon and he has a lovely charming personality and is very caring and considerate towards his fans unlike most who are no more than ignorant snobs who are only in it for the money!
Find all posts by this user
12-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Snigger. I'm sorry, but that was.. well, that was a very stupid reply.

So I don't have any taste in music because I'm not a LEON JACKSON fan? A guy who won a karaoke competition?

And so what if he's a nice guy? What does that have to do with anything? See, THAT is EXACTLY the problem with these stupid contests - it suddenly becomes more about the person singing than the way they are sung. It surely shouldn't matter if he's the nicest guy in the world - it's a SINGING CONTEST.

Why am I preaching to a reality pop fan about appreciating real music? It'd be easier teaching my cat how to drive.

Don't abuse children, or else they'll turn out like me.
http://www.thecurmudgeon.proboards88.com - The site to save your life.
12-05-2008, 08:05 PM
[Image: cat-driving-funny-cat.jpg] :ninja:

Bollox to potplants
12-05-2008, 08:52 PM
There's obviously some sort of clique going on here.

*gulp* :shutup:

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
12-05-2008, 09:19 PM
floopy Wrote:[Image: cat-driving-funny-cat.jpg] :ninja:

Ha - nice.

OK, let me rephrase that then..

It would be easier to teach.. a.. BEAR to.. MOONWALK.. wearing a SOMBRERO.

I'm waiting.....

12-05-2008, 09:26 PM
[Image: senor_bear.jpg]

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
12-05-2008, 11:25 PM
I...

Amazing.

13-05-2008, 12:28 AM
The Curmudgeon Wrote:Reality pop hits an all-time LOW.

Oh great! A review of a show that ended before Christmas and a prediction about a record that has been gone.

I think you copied and pasted that from somewhere just to wind up PP cos she likes him :whistling:
13-05-2008, 12:37 AM
No, I copied and pasted it from my own site which is taken from the reviews I write on Amazon.com

But to wind up PP? Peter Parker? Parker Posey? Polly Pocket? Peter Pan?

Oh, wait - Purple Passion? Yes, that's right - I wrote that review months ago to wind up some emotionally stunted simpleton I didn't even know existed until today.

You've caught me out, Holmes. How do you do it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Eminem - Mockingbird - Review The Curmudgeon 14 3,015 15-05-2008 10:19 PM
Last Post: The Curmudgeon
  Fergie - The Dutchess - Review The Curmudgeon 4 1,481 15-05-2008 02:19 PM
  Mel C - I Want Candy - Review The Curmudgeon 1 1,065 13-05-2008 02:37 PM
  Basshunter - Now You're Gone - Review The Curmudgeon 11 2,696 13-05-2008 11:23 AM
Last Post: Groucho
  Soulja Boy - Crank Dat - Review The Curmudgeon 1 1,024 13-05-2008 01:24 AM
  Scooter - Jumping All Over The World - Review The Curmudgeon 27 3,253 12-05-2008 11:45 PM
Last Post: Mars
  Paul Potts - One Chance - Review The Curmudgeon 4 1,051 12-05-2008 10:12 PM
Last Post: Patsy
  Cascade - Everytime We Touch - Review The Curmudgeon 1 775 12-05-2008 10:07 PM
  Leon Jackson Purple Passion 13 2,472 12-05-2008 09:40 PM
Last Post: Groucho
  Michael Jackson - Thriller 25th Anniversary Review The Curmudgeon 3 975 12-05-2008 07:49 AM