Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Literary characters: Who do you love / most identify with?
11-10-2005, 06:27 PM

We've all read and enjoyed characters from certain books we've read, and often we most enjoy the characters that either we idenitfy with, or love.

So I wondered, what literary characters do you most identify with? Not necessarily now, but at the time you were reading about them. And which literary characters were you slightly in love with.

For me there are two that I can remember "identifying" with quite strongly:

1) Jo from Little Women. I read this book when I was about 9 and Jo struck a chord with me.

2) Holden Caulfied from "Catcher in the Rye". I read this for my Liteature 'O' Level when I was 16 and at the time, I could really "get" where Holden was coming from. Which is hard to admit, because the character was very intense, a bit weird, and more than slightly depressed, but at that point in my life I really identified with him. Dunno if I still would now. I'd have to read the book again.

Most in Love with:

Again, for me there are two (one slightly shameful):

1) Rhett Butler from "Gone with the Wind". Phwooooaaar!

2) Rupert Campbell-Black from "Riders" (Jilly Cooper). This is the shameful one, and not just cos I read a Jilly Cooper book! The guy was a sh!t. :laugh:

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2005, 07:40 PM
But we always for in love with the sh!ts, don't we? Then we marry the good guys. That's the way it should be. However, maybe one woman's sh!t is another's ........... sugar? Huh

The relationship between Cathy and Heathcliffe in Wuthering Heights makes me laugh, cry, shout with anger and cry again. Part of me would love to have been such a free spirit and to have loved someone so completely in the face of such adversity.

I would love to have been a bit more like Elizabeth Bennett. Not a great beauty, but such a quick wit and no-one's fool....... and she hooks the most handsome man she has ever seen, also against the odds.
Find all posts by this user
11-10-2005, 07:44 PM
I think I always identified more with the characters I read as a kid...I was pony mad so many of the books were about gorls who worked with horses etc....also the Narnia series...always loved going along for the adventures with all the characters within them.

I haven't read many of the classics, I tend to read more modern crime thrillers than anything and I'm loving Sara in the Karin Slaughter books I'm reading at th mo...she's fab.

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
11-10-2005, 09:56 PM
I liked Katy, in What Katy Did - until she became to goody-goody. And Topaz in I Capture the Castle.

Inspector Rebus would be at least Chief Super with a good woman like me at the helm :thumbsup: But my first love was Robin in The Little White Horse Heart

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
11-10-2005, 10:12 PM
I always fancied myself as one of the kids in The Faraway Tree, just to go to all the different lands and meet up with Moonface and the Saucepan Man.

I would have loved to have been George from the Famous Five and drink lashings & lashings of ginger beer. Kirrin Island just seemed very idyllic, we used to go holidays to a little marina village called Tayviallich and my sister & I usesd to pretend that we were in Kirrin Island.

I have a big soft spot for DI Rebus and can't wait to see Ken Stott playing him - do you know that Ian Rankin is putting Rebus into retirement though? :ohmy:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
11-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Toru Okada from The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
He sits down the bottom of dry wells and thinks about things. A lot.
And things sometimes seem to be a little unreal to him. For no particular reason.

Also Ryder from The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro
(the best book you have already dreamt about)
Because doors open . . . and you are where . . . .?
11-10-2005, 10:56 PM
janus abimbi Wrote:Toru Okada from The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
He sits down the bottom of dry wells and thinks about things. A lot.
And things sometimes seem to be a little unreal to him. For no particular reason.

Also Ryder from The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro
(the best book you have already dreamt about)
Because doors open . . . and you are where . . . .?

Don't you like Mills and Boon then? Huh

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
12-10-2005, 03:12 AM
Bella Wrote:I have a big soft spot for DI Rebus and can't wait to see Ken Stott playing him - COOL! :w00t:

- do you know that Ian Rankin is putting Rebus into retirement though? :ohmy:
He can't do that...I've only just discovered him! :sad:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
12-10-2005, 03:14 AM
Coastie Wrote:He can't do that...I've only just discovered him! :sad:
NOOOOOOOOO! I just read AAALLLL of the Rebus books and was waiting for more!!!! I'm coming to Edinburgh now and stalking Ian Rankin!!!! I'm so upset!!!

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
12-10-2005, 03:18 AM
mississippigirl Wrote:NOOOOOOOOO! I just read AAALLLL of the Rebus books and was waiting for more!!!! I'm coming to Edinburgh now and stalking Ian Rankin!!!! I'm so upset!!!

I am collecting all the Rebus novels at the moment...charity shops are wonderful places eh...anyway...I've enjoyed some more than others but it would be a shame to retire the old man....although I guess after rather a lot of books the imagination can run a little dry and you can start to feel uninspired by a once loved character. :sad:

I'm heavily into Karin Slaughter at the mo though....Sara is brilliant in those and I am developing a soft spot for Jeffery....Blush

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  True Love Slipper 3 1,112 30-11-2008 11:10 PM
Last Post: ~ils~
  Jennifer Love Hewitt Wallpapers uhq x8 pics celebs 5 1,253 03-08-2007 09:21 PM
Last Post: msgirl
  Dont you just love it when....... Groucho 1,676 42,907 26-07-2007 06:39 PM
Last Post: Dolores
  Love or Lust claire 131 7,238 16-06-2007 08:01 AM
Last Post: Isis
  love you ... bye Dolores 14 1,816 13-06-2007 06:21 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  I Love This Goodbye Story Slipper 4 1,024 10-01-2007 12:59 PM
Last Post: Figaro
  DYJLIW & DYJHIW - when you love & hate it in one! ils 250 7,992 12-11-2006 08:46 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Sayings that people LOVE... Aondeag 16 1,713 31-08-2005 07:25 PM
Last Post: jaycee
  what increases the potency of a coastie love puff? tonee 8 1,052 15-07-2005 08:20 PM
Last Post: tonee
  Help me Identify my Herbs. Cat 46 3,181 21-06-2005 10:34 PM
Last Post: Buzz