Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live 8
02-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Live 8

Am I the only person to find this rather sick making? For a start I do not agree with the sentiment at all. Africa's biggest problem is that it is run by Africans. One family have no trouble at all in creaming off money to line their pockets while another family starve, no trouble at all. The Telegraph the other week said the amount creamed off by corrupt Government officials in Nigeria alone is about £240 billion - the same amount as the debt owed to the West.

Noteably Bob Geldof has overlooked this somewhat in his desire to get his name back in the papers again.

I find the whole self congratulatory, sycophantic, aren't-we-so-evangelical set up quite revolting....what sort of contribution to a real world problem is singing a ruddy song for God's sake? It's what these people DO! It is hardly a sacrifice, so why do they all look so pleased with themselves? If they REALLY cared about Africa, why not donate the profits from one of their albums to the cause? Or spend 6 months out there working as a volunteer?

But no, they just get up on stage, link arms with another overpaid and underworked bunch of celebs and fix that "isn't it great that I'm making a difference" look on their face (with mock tears if possible for added dramatic effect).

Well, no you aren't making a difference actually. Even if the West wipes out the whole debt, you won't be making a difference, because the problems that have led to Africa's debt are still there, completely unresolved. All you are doing is robbing Peter to pay Paul....sticking a plaster on a severed limb.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Live 8
I think you're incredibly cynical, Ceridwen. These people don't have to be there. I don't imagine that there will be a signifcicant increase in their record sales or income as a result of this. U2, Elton John, Madonna? Why shouldn't they care?

Obviously the problems go deeper than just needing a bit of money. But they are doing what they can. They're not politicans, they're musicians.

You don't have to be a 'normal' person to have a social conscience.
02-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Live 8
You missed Annie Lennox then?

She was very straightforward about the problems, but said she felt she felt she couldn't just do nothing.

Yes, some of them are a bit self-seeking, but as you say Ceri, it's what they DO, and at least this way, they are providing entertainment and, whatever their motivation, raising awareness of an issue that no album sales profit will solve. And I would imagine their particular skill sets would be a hindrance to the people who are out there trying to create a dent in a huge problem.

I'm not at all emotional over these things, and a lot of the publicity is cheesey and embarassing in the extreme, but I think you underestimate a lot of people when you simplify this by assuming the campaign is only about removing debt and increasing aid.

Some good performances tonight - but it's not on all channels, so we can all enjoy our evening.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
02-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Live 8
I agree with Maxine.

Sure, these events aren't going to just solve the problems going on in Africa and other areas of the world, but they do offer recognition of those problems and act as a reminder and pressure to the leaders of the world who will be making decisions such as at the coming summit between some of those leaders.

And if they just spur a few people into action or to give up their time or money to try to make a difference...then I would call it a success.
02-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Live 8
It doesn't make me sick at all, Ceri. I love it. I love the reasons behind it. I love the fact that this event will put pressure on the G8 leaders to listen to millions of the people they represent, people who require them to start removing the unfairness and injustice that keeps a large proportion of the human race in poverty.

And now Snow Patrol are playing so I'm going to enjoy them. :thumbsup:
02-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Live 8
I agree that Africa's problems are not just debt and that a lot of their poverty is because of badly run and corrupt governments but things like Live 8 and the like do make a difference! It highlights the problems that are there and give us the chance if we want to help, we don't have but we can if we want to, whether it be money, donating clothes, time or whatever.

I think it would make tremendous difference if the G8 invited the African leaders to their summits and voiced their true opinions about them. I mean how can we allow people like Mugabe just to order his troops into vehicles to destroy homes?

I think the people that are there do give up their time and most probably do give sales of their albums to charity. If they were to state they were doing that then people like Ceri would be giving them a hard time for only doing this to seek attention.

Everyone deserves a chance don't they?

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
02-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Live 8
I don't see that anyone in the West needs anything highlighted.

I think you will find it is in Africa itself that this needs to happen...interestingly though it seems that no one there seems interested in helping anybody. I don't see a large queue of African talent queueing up to put a gig on to show any of their own Government leaders that they care. No, as usual, it is the rest of the world that shoulders the responsibility.

By all means have a nice concert in Hyde Park if you want though....
02-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Live 8
Ceridwen Wrote:I don't see that anyone in the West needs anything highlighted.

I think you will find it is in Africa itself that this needs to happen...interestingly though it seems that no one there seems interested in helping anybody. I don't see a large queue of African talent queueing up to put a gig on to show any of their own Government leaders that they care. No, as usual, it is the rest of the world that shoulders the responsibility.

By all means have a nice concert in Hyde Park if you want though....

I think you need to go and get yourself a drink matey.
02-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Live 8
I think she needs to get educated on the subject in hand. She's talking out of her @rse!

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
02-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Live 8
I guess it depends where you get your information from Karen...I am sure you can find "proof" on both sides if you look hard enough.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2007NT7 you only have 14 years to live Cockney 49 8,460 21-08-2010 03:00 PM
Last Post: bookman