Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MP3 players....help?!?!
24-07-2005, 08:35 PM
MP3 players....help?!?!

I'm thinking of buying an mp3 player but am getting a bit confused with all the different files they all play.

I understand (I think) that music can come in different files, but is an mp3 player that only takes MP3 and WMA less of a player than one that plays all these...mp1/mp2/mp3/wma/wmv/asf/wav.

Is it better to get the one that plays more files or is it easy to change a music file from one sort to another?

And is there anything else I should be aware of when looking around?

[Image: 429.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2005, 09:13 PM
MP3 players....help?!?!
Andrea Wrote:And is there anything else I should be aware of when looking around?

I have no idea whatsoever about the rest of it, but as for this bit:

please be careful crossing the road, look out for sharp shin-high things on fast moving wheelchairs, and keep your purse somewhere safe. Mmmmmmwa! xxx
24-07-2005, 09:49 PM
MP3 players....help?!?!
thankyou dab, I shall take you advice and heed it well:w00t:

24-07-2005, 10:08 PM
MP3 players....help?!?!
I know nothing about them at all.

I have a very cheap one that holds about 40 songs, which is big enough for what I want it for. I just download any songs I want from my computer and change them when I get fed up with them!

Sorry I can't be of more help!
25-07-2005, 12:42 AM
MP3 players....help?!?!
I have an ipod Mini Andrea and love it, it's also fool-proof as the ipod music store and library are so easy to use. Not sure about the different file types but ipods are explained in detail on the 'Apple' website so you could check that out Smile
25-07-2005, 10:51 AM
MP3 players....help?!?!
Andrea Wrote:I understand (I think) that music can come in different files, but is an mp3 player that only takes MP3 and WMA less of a player than one that plays all these...mp1/mp2/mp3/wma/wmv/asf/wav.
You really don't need to worry about it, because you're pretty unlikely to want to play anything other than MP3s or WMA files (unless you're using a Sony player which uses its own format).

Andrea Wrote:Is it better to get the one that plays more files or is it easy to change a music file from one sort to another?
It is easy to convert audio files between formats (if you have the right software), but it's not always advisable. Every time you put music into MP3 format, for example, it compresses the music data, in doing so losing some of the original information. (This is called "lossy compression".) The more times you convert to MP3, the more you lose and the worse the audio track sounds. So you're better off keeping things in a compressed format. i.e. if it's in WMA, keep it that way and don't convert to MP3 if you can help it (and vice versa).

The best thing to do is to start with a pure source (e.g. a CD or an original WAV file) and convert once only to your chosen format.

Andrea Wrote:And is there anything else I should be aware of when looking around?
The hard-drive based music players will be a little less robust, as a rule. They may skip if you take them out jogging. And they'll be a little more likely to break, because they have moving parts. That said, these things will keep coming down in price, and you'll probably find that in 2 years' time you'll want to replace/upgrade anyway.

One more thing you might like to look out for is whether a player can read the Ogg Vorbis format. It's much better than MP3 for many reasons (smaller file size, better quality, and open standards rather than the licensed, proprietary MP3 format). It's becoming increasingly common, but I'm not sure that any dedicated MP3 players out there will also play OGG files. My PDA plays OGG files, but that's not quite the same.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
25-07-2005, 11:54 AM
MP3 players....help?!?!
I got an Ipod for my birthday and so far it's great.
So far I have 486 tracks on it (I'm working my way through my CD collection, putting them all on my Ipod).

It's really easy to copy whole or part of a CD onto the IPOD or to dowload from the web.

The bonus with the one I have is that I can also store digital photos on it - so if I'm on holiday and the memory card in my camera is full up I can just transfer the photos onto the Ipod (ready to be transferred to my PC when I get home), clear the memory card and start clicking away again.
Find all posts by this user
25-07-2005, 12:22 PM
MP3 players....help?!?!
Andrea, there's a really good guide here.

You can also compare loads of different players!

I have an iRiver H10 which I love.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
25-07-2005, 08:33 PM
MP3 players....help?!?!
thanks guys, you've been really helpful.

Well I've done it and splashed out, well not that much really but enough for what I need.

Thanks Blink for the info on the different files:thumbsup: The one I have ordered plays mp3 and WMA format so that should be fine.
It's also a flash drive so no moving parts, although I doubt I'll be moving that energetically for the parts to get moving anyway:w00t:

Fee, thanks for the link.

anyway, here's what I've ordered from e-bay.

[Image: mp3playerz.jpg]

It's only 256MGB but will be enough for me I think.

It's got a built in radio and a voice recording thingy, which I think might be useful when I do my course in October.

I checked out the guy on e-bay and all his feedback was good.
It's coming from Japan and most of the others giving feedback were amazed at how quick it was delivered.
All for £22.
It will do me fine, I think.:thumbsup:

So I can't wait now.

25-07-2005, 09:16 PM
MP3 players....help?!?!
I think you have got a bargain there Andrea, my son paid a lot more for one of the same size. Mine is half the size and it is big enough for what I need.

I like the little ones as you can stick them down your bra if you don't have any pockets :w00t: