Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPs allowances
30-04-2009, 08:46 AM
MPs allowances

So, in the wake of dodgy expense claims, changes in MP's allowances are to be decided by ... er, a vote by MPs.

Not sure if I'm missing something here, but isn't this like making changes to prison sentences by asking the prisoners to decide?

So - no conflict of interests there then.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2009, 10:22 AM
MPs allowances
The thing that makes me laugh (ironically) is that in the real corporate world, our expenses are subject to scrutiny by the taxman for all but the most basic claims as payment in kind.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
05-05-2009, 12:01 PM
MPs allowances
Groucho Wrote:The thing that makes me laugh (ironically) is that in the real corporate world, our expenses are subject to scrutiny by the taxman for all but the most basic claims as payment in kind.

But we live in the REAL world - most politicians have absolutely no context of the REAL world. And I whole-heartedly agree with you regarding the discrepancy regarding taxable benifits. I would love to see how many fore-go their claims if they were to be taxed or had to justify to the taxman in the same way the genral public do. This is one reason why they don't want to go down the per-diem route as they would be openly liable for the tax on it. Cynical - moi?

One of my drinking friends is a Scottish MP who does have a house/flat in North West London. He fully condones the publics unhappiness about the issue of allowances and "expenses". As he frequently says, "Just because you can doesn't mean you should".

The difficulty is that what for one is a reasonable expense, to another is a excess or luxury benifit. Then there are the bad apples who take advantage of a loop-hole. He, without a shadow of a doubt needs a base in London, which he needs to furnish to a moderate standard as he spends a large proportion of his time here, but he doesn't NEED a lot of the 'stuff' he is entitled to claim for so he goes without.

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh
06-05-2009, 06:46 PM
MPs allowances
In the real world, people play the expenses system where they can. The real world is full of accountants doing their level best to achieve "tax efficiency" for their clients. But then again, the real world is full of massive hypocrites.

I couldn't give a toss if some MP on £65k is getting a few extra grand playing the expenses system. In the great scheme of things, that rates nowhere. Borrowing billions to prop up failing banks and finance wars in middle eastern countries ranks rather higher, IMO.

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
07-05-2009, 03:06 PM
MPs allowances
mikado Wrote:the real world is full of massive hypocrites.

and Parliament is full of truly honourable and honest punters????

I think we all know that myth has been blown out of the water Mik.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
07-05-2009, 03:39 PM
MPs allowances
mikado Wrote:In the real world, people play the expenses system where they can. The real world is full of accountants doing their level best to achieve "tax efficiency" for their clients. But then again, the real world is full of massive hypocrites.

I couldn't give a toss if some MP on £65k is getting a few extra grand playing the expenses system. In the great scheme of things, that rates nowhere. Borrowing billions to prop up failing banks and finance wars in middle eastern countries ranks rather higher, IMO.

Now you see..... had there been a thread entitled "Borrowing billions to prop up failing banks and finance wars in middle eastern countries - discuss" I may have agreed that that was a bigger issue than MP's expenses and would have said something in said thread.

However, as this thread is entitled "MP's Allowances" I thought I'd follow the generally accepted forum etiquette of sticking to the topic..........

Sorry Sad

Let us not forget that the government by virtue of having said taxmen doing the anal audits that they do (which the MP's are not subject to - One rule for them, another for us.) they generate a whole raft of civil servant positions costing the taxpayer (as in the general honest working Joe) a fortune to recover the nominal amounts that the accountants are dealing with.

As for playing the expenses system, I think you'll find that in the corporate world this is considerably harder to do than you think.

08-05-2009, 07:50 AM
MPs allowances
mikado Wrote:I couldn't give a toss if some MP on £65k is getting a few extra grand playing the expenses system. In the great scheme of things, that rates nowhere.

I'm not so sure about this line of argument. By extension it's OK for someone to get mugged, after all they weren't killed; it's OK to shoplift, after all it's not a bank that was robbed, it's OK for the bloke next door to put hand up your young daughter's skirt, after all he didn't rape her. etc.

11-05-2009, 08:44 AM
MPs allowances
survivorfan Wrote:I'm not so sure about this line of argument. By extension it's OK for someone to get mugged, after all they weren't killed; it's OK to shoplift, after all it's not a bank that was robbed, it's OK for the bloke next door to put hand up your young daughter's skirt, after all he didn't rape her. etc.

As I said,

[quote=Slipper]"Just because you can doesn't mean you should".

quote]

11-05-2009, 10:05 AM
MPs allowances
Here's a good one..........

Check out the Luton's 'Moron' Moran's claim that we should pay for her to have a Love Shack in Southampton. [Image: 1-picture6.gif]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8042230.stm

11-05-2009, 10:21 AM
MPs allowances
Slipper Wrote:Here's a good one..........

Check out the Luton's 'Moron' Moran's claim that we should pay for her to have a Love Shack in Southampton. [Image: 1-picture6.gif]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8042230.stm

Painful to watch. So, to quote her, it was "Deeply irresponsible ..." but not of her, of the Telegraph for publishing the details!

Still, she was acting within the rules so that's alright then.