Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malapropisms
15-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Malapropisms

dictionary definition "the unintentional misuse of a word by confusion with one of similar sound".........

Yesterday I was chatting with a couple of workmates and we were talking about gaudy murals on walls and other unusual house decorations such as leopard skin curtains and carpets etc. I said that all sounds very QUICHE!!! As soon as it came out I knew it was the wrong word. We fell about laughing (it was a slow day!) and my good friend corrected me and said I think you mean KITSCH .... which of course I did! D'oh! Silly me!

have you said anything daft lately?

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2005, 06:45 AM
Malapropisms
Dolores Wrote:dictionary definition "the unintentional misuse of a word by confusion with one of similar sound".........

Yesterday I was chatting with a couple of workmates and we were talking about gaudy murals on walls and other unusual house decorations such as leopard skin curtains and carpets etc. I said that all sounds very QUICHE!!! As soon as it came out I knew it was the wrong word. We fell about laughing (it was a slow day!) and my good friend corrected me and said I think you mean KITSCH .... which of course I did! D'oh! Silly me!

The other day my daughter said she needed to 'clench' her thirst.
15-04-2005, 06:48 AM
Malapropisms
Dolores Wrote:dictionary definition "the unintentional misuse of a word by confusion with one of similar sound".........

I haven't but my Mum is quite famous for mispronouncing certain words. Your post reminds me of one of her classics.

My Mum always calls Murals MURIELS. Cracks me up! :laugh:

She also can't pronounce the name Eustace. She pronunces it USELESS instead. My brother went to school with a kid called Eustace and Mum used to call him "Useless" to his face!

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
15-04-2005, 07:33 AM
Malapropisms
Cockney is a malaprop all of his own :devil:

He pronounces chimney as chimley, obvious as ovuous and millions of others that just make him him Cool

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
15-04-2005, 07:48 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2005 07:50 AM by Cockney.)
Malapropisms
Gaudy murals

Thanks I put a lot of effort in that mural

verganinaty
(Virginity)

[b][i]Life is not that long [Image: 36_1_12.gif]
[/b][/i]
15-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Malapropisms
OOOOOOO I love this, I have so many! My neighbour was feeling lethargic and said she just couldn't get herself rotivated.
15-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Malapropisms
I had a boss who used to talk about 'State of the Ark' technology. And he always said 'antidote' for 'anecdote'

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
15-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Malapropisms
Ohhh this reminded me of my neice Aly, who was 7 at the time......

I was messing about with her and Jess tickling them and generally fooling around, when I grabbed Aly and poked her "breast area", to which she replied, "Wwwwwwww gerrof Aunty Helen you VEGETARIAN", to which I fell about laughing and said, "I think you mean lesbian" :laugh: :laugh:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
15-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Malapropisms
Dolores Wrote:I said that all sounds very QUICHE!!!...I think you mean KITSCH ....
Hang on a minute... don't those words sound virtually identical?! (They do where I live, anyway. The 't' in kitsch is practically unpronounced.)

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
15-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Malapropisms
I can never look at an Old English Sheep Dog in the same way again after my friend once, refering to the paint advert, called them Durex dogs instead of Dulux!

Also...same friend....commented on a daydo rail along another friends wall only to get it horribly wrong and call it a dildo rail....

I have to think before I speak about such things now as I always want to call them Durex Dogs and Dildo rails! Blush

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]