Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus
28-09-2005, 09:17 AM

Do you sometimes feel that you are on a completely different planet than your spouse / partner ?

This morning was a prime example for me. We have a stereo that i bought about 5 years ago when my grandad died and left me some money. It is a massive stereo, but i love it. Unfortunately it comes with 5 MASSIVE speakers that, in our old house fitted perfectly - but in our current small house would stand out like a sore a*se.

Anyway - Mr.B doesnt work 2 days a week, and so he thinks of jobs to do. He will ponder on things for weeks, then drop it on me at a moments notice expecting me to say 'yeah whatever'. Normally i do as his ideas are good ones, but occasionally i object.

So i came downstairs this morning, and he told me he was going to get rid of my lovely wall unit (and burn it i think), and put the stereo where the existing unit is now. Ok i said, so where will all the nic-naks from the present unit live ? So then he told me he was proposing to build 2 wall to wall shelves for all our rubbish which is normally semi hidden in this current unit :ohmy:

Then he told me about his positioning for the speakers. He wants to mount the large base speaker in the middle of the chimney breast - which will practically hit you between the eyes as you walk into the lounge !!! I told him it would look blummin ugly there, as we have an old fashioned lounge, and then have some massive black square thing right over the focal point (namely the new fireplace). He raised his eyes to the heavens then and looked at me like i was the one who was mad !!!!

So i told him i needed to think about it like he had obviously thought about it - and again he looked bemused as to why i felt the need to ponder these massive changes ?

I then remembered that we had said we would save up our pennies and buy some slimline speakers that could be hidden more and look better in a small room - but he then put up loads of arguements about how the sound quality wouldnt be so good etc ..

I then suggested rigging up the stereo in the dining room, so when we have guests we can have some music on whilst eating - but he wants to rig the stereo up to the TV so we can terrify the neighbours.

Am i being the bad guy here ? I mean, our lounge will look cack with 5 large speakers on the walls in a room which isnt very big.

Do you ever think that you and your partner are from different planets ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2005, 09:24 AM
I know this isn't what you are asking - but re the stereo you can put the bass unit anywhere in the room, even on one side behind a sofa, it doesn't have to go in the middle because bass isn't 'directional'. Also, do you need four more speakers, could you get rid of the rear speakers and have just the two front ones, that's all you need for stereo. Actually, if the front speakers are big enough, you could even get rid of the bass unit, especially if it's a small room where too much bass might overwhelm the music.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
28-09-2005, 09:26 AM
SF - sounds like a fantastic plan to me ..... maybe i should give you Mr.B's phone number :thumbsup: I think if i came up with that suggestion the eye balls would roll out of their sockets.

Now - what do you think about the removal of the wall unit ?

28-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Bonsai Wrote:Now - what do you think about the removal of the wall unit ?

Knock it down and knock down the wall while you're at it.

28-09-2005, 10:06 AM
survivorfan Wrote:Knock it down and knock down the wall while you're at it.

I dont think our next door neighbour would appreciate it as i would be able to listen to his hi-fi rather than my own if we did that.

28-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Oh Bonnie, in answer to your original question, yes, yes, yes!

Men come up with these ideas but they just don't think it through properly and because we do, they think we are being negative!!

An example of why I think men are from Mars.

Mr. C makes a big thing about not caring about colour co-ordination. He can't understand why I sometimes put a colour on the wall and decide that it doesn't quite "go". He usually says something like "It's only Bl**dy paint, what does it matter?"

He dresses with a blatant disregard for colour too. I don't really care if he wants to go out in a green T-shirt with his Navy blue trousers and a blue one with his beige trousers when he's not going out anywhere with me (which is most of the time) but when we go on holiday I do try to put matching outfits in the suitcase but I'm sure he deliberately mixes them up just to annoy me and if I say "Why didn't you put the pale blue shirt on with those trousers" he gets really stroppy.

Imagine my chin hitting the floor then when he recently bought a second hand model aeroplane and announced that he would like to strip it down because he didn't like the mauve and yellow colour scheme :glare: (bearing in mind that they are usually done in quite garish colours anyway so that they can be easily spotted from the ground!!)

That is from the man who thought that the new brown leather suite looked fine with the old burgundy carpet and really didn't see the need to change the colour scheme to creams and beiges!!

Yes, they are definitely on another planet. :sad:
28-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Mr. MS has been courting danger lately. He gets on this griping spree every so often, and lately has been his 'time'. Everything I do is 'wrong', as in I do it diffierent from him therefore is't done wrong. He's been griping about this and that and I'm full up with the crap. I ask him how I was so perfect 22 years ago but as I age I have become a burden to him. He says that's not what he's saying, he's just trying to get me to do things the 'right' way. He fussed about how I mowed today after I did him a favor by mowing in the first place as his back is bothering him. I try to take into thought he may be hurting and he does have a tendancy to be cranky when he's not feeling well. But, let me be cranky and I hear about that too. I told him I think I need to go visit some family or friends until he misses me and then I'll come back and maybe he won't be so cranky then. We do have separate dispositions and hobbies and friends and sometimes I wonder how we have worked out so long together. I love him very much even though I would like to gag him, bind him, and throw him in a closet for a few hours sometimes. (if y'all hear about some man in mississippi having this done to him, i will kindly accept alibis) but yes, I think we have different waves we are working on. And Bonnie, I get the bomb dropped on me last minute that I'm 'designated helper' in his bright schemes he thinks up to do around the house!! :angry:

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
29-09-2005, 08:24 AM
At least im not alone .... and for that i am thankful.

Luckily Mr.B has changed his mind about the speaker on the chimney breast. But it wasnt because of me ... no, it was because his friend who popped around yesterday said it would look terrible Huh Why does his friends opinion matter more than mine ?

But still - at least it isnt going to happen now.

And Crit, could hubby be colour blind ? Or is he just fashion blind :laugh:

And Mississippigirl - i will indeed be watching the news for reports of a man found gagged and tied in a cupboard !!

29-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Welcome to our world eh?! I know exactly where you girls are coming from!

Anytime I want anything done whether it be manual, financial I am told that he will get round to it, his friend phones for some pension advice Mr B is straight onto it, his brother phones to see if has spare time to help in his house, he is straight there - you get the picture.

The other day I commented that ironing takes up so much of time - I was doing a full weeks worth of ironing in one go - when he suggests to me that I should cut the ironing down into managable chunks to make it easier!!! He was very lucky he was not cut down to managable chunks! Yes, in theory it is good but it is not all that practical to do it!

He invites people round for dinner but hasn't got a clue how to cook!

Yes, men are certainly from a completely different planet!

He says he'll take the kids out BUT I have to organise them - it's not so bad now as Abbie is out of nappies etc but I was the one who had to pack the bags etc.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
29-09-2005, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2005 08:47 AM by survivorfan.)
Bella Wrote:ironing takes up so much of time - I was doing a full weeks worth of ironing in one go - when he suggests to me that I should cut the ironing down into managable chunks to make it easier!!! .

That sounds like a reasonable suggestion to me! What's wrong with that?

Critique Wrote:Men come up with these ideas but they just don't think it through properly and because we do, they think we are being negative!!

I think it's the other way round - men tend to think to resolve things, women tend to use their feelings (sweeping generalisation I know but who am I to buck the trend of the thread!)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mars Mars 9 1,296 28-05-2008 09:29 PM
Last Post: Mars
  women plee 9 1,138 29-03-2007 01:06 AM
  Happy Birthday Mars! ~ils~ 14 1,256 24-02-2007 12:47 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  MARS....You are so big and so RED! Cat 18 1,434 12-05-2006 09:27 PM
  Are women any good at men's sports? Northern angel 29 2,668 03-05-2006 06:37 PM
Last Post: Northern angel
  Men vs Women and how we see things Slipper 6 900 10-03-2006 01:31 AM
Last Post: Northern angel
  Happy Birthday Mars! JakeyBoy 18 1,108 22-02-2006 04:07 PM
Last Post: Fee For All
  Mars - Edinburgh Festival Bella 8 761 10-08-2005 07:32 PM
Last Post: Marmoset
  All women are complete b****es Dolores 37 2,523 23-04-2005 07:21 PM
Last Post: Nox
  Good Luck Mars! ils 10 1,168 08-03-2005 01:10 AM
Last Post: secrets