19-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Message Boards - So last year?

They all seem to be dying on their árses......any thoughts why? Huh

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2006, 08:19 AM
I dont think they are. Digital Spy continues to go from stength to strength .... although i dont post there like i post here. I tend to watch more.

I just think this forum needs new people. People who used to post a lot like CAT have dissapeared - and many (like me) dont tend to have to imagination to start up new threads. She did.

New blood would be good, but no someone that says 'hi' and slinks off - we need a regular poster.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-07-2006, 09:16 AM
So is anyone doing anything about it? Is it up to the owner to promote the site or could the members do anything?

Maybe someone could set up an "invite a friend" function, where you put in the e-mail addresses of people you think might like to join, friends & colleagues, etc, then an e-mail is automatically generated and sent to them, saying Hi, &so&so& thought you might be interested in our site, <insert link>, what the place is all about, come and have a look round. Kind of thing.

I think a lot of people end up here by chance, by searching for some TV show or other, not actually looking for a messageboard, so they're unlikely to stay around once they've visited.

I'd be more inclined to go look at a place if I'd been invited.

I don't think there's any point trying to drag back people who've already left or stopped posting. They did so for a reason and that reason is bound to come back again eventually.

"If you are calling to purchase marijuana, please press the hash key now....."
20-07-2006, 09:25 AM
I don't want any new people. I like the fact that it's like a care in the community coffee morning around here and the same out drop-outs turn up every week for a warm styofoam cup of something and a soft rich tea finger.

I find it comforting to know you'll all confined in the same place and not out there mixing with real people
20-07-2006, 09:37 AM
My cousin Vera goes to one of these places in Carshalton. They have custard creams there and a very good singer called Norman.
20-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Phantom Repper Wrote:and a soft rich finger.

Im quite partial to a soft rich finger ...... it certainly gets my juices flowing.

20-07-2006, 09:46 AM
longshot, your accent sure has changed.
20-07-2006, 09:58 AM
I think this is only a problem for a particular type of forum. Forums like Digital Spy, Big Brother and professional forums that discuss a specific product (e.g. type of car or a piece of software) are thriving. But these forums are used primarily as sources of information. They might have a number of regular posters, but they aren't really "online communities".

Its the smaller community forums like this one that are dying. People leave, but are not replaced.

I think the main reason is because community forums don't have a focus - they are just a bunch of folks who become friendly and log on to banter with each other. This is great for those people, but to a lot of people it doesn't really offer anything interesting. Even for those people who are looking for new friends, an established community with in-jokes and banter can seem cliquey and closed. Often, unless a new member can make an impact fairly soon, their posts just get ignored after the initial rush of welcomes. This isn't a criticism of SO, it happens everywhere, but if someones posts are ignored where's their incentive to continue posting?

Community forums also have the tendency to "drive away" or ban contraversial people and this has an impact on the forum dynamic. Without passion a community forum can become stagnant, and it is often the less popular and more contraversial posters whose posts result in the more passionate posts. Their views or attitudes may be unpalatable to many members, but those people bring a forum to life. A lifeless forum is as unattractive to a new person as a cliquey one. Again, this is not a criticism, its just what happens.

If you combine all this with the fact that some members will just for their own personal reasons, what you have is a reduced number of members, with nothing to attract new people to stay.

Its basically a slow decline and its happening on lots of community forums.
20-07-2006, 10:13 AM
I'd say mini meets are the way forward. Lots of splinter groups charged with recruiting new members.

Who will join me in this quest?

Next Thursday's good for me.
20-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Patsy Wrote:Next Thursday's good for me.

Well, what do you know .... me too :pimp:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Message For Haydon The Curmudgeon 65 5,710 19-05-2008 02:48 PM
Last Post: Patsy
  Clothes you have not worn for a year? IsLe Of WeAtHeR 12 1,834 07-06-2007 09:58 PM
Last Post: Figaro
  Jail for 73 year old over Council Tax Bonsai 37 2,760 28-09-2005 02:31 PM
Last Post: Aondeag