Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Messiah IV - My Theory (and it's mine)
29-08-2005, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2005 11:17 AM by Patsy.)

If you don't want to here my or anyone else's theories, look away now.

I've done a quick synopsis of the first epidode, btw, for those who missed it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2005, 11:16 AM
So far we have a Catherine and a Mary and a religious connection. Will the two girls also have saints names, I wonder?

Is there a Saint Isobel, or did she actually kill herself, as the inquest found?
29-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Yes I agree, Patsy. I think the girls will be all named after martyred female Saints (hence the SAVE ME).... and will have died in the same manner in which the Saints died?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Like it, Pandy, like it. I get one little theory, but didn't take it that far.

Did you like my synopsis, btw. Thought you would be proud.
29-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Hey chaps - I'm new to this message board but Messiah so excited me last night i just had to chat to some like-minded people!

I like your theory - I'm following up on the Dante connection myself at the moment. Christ's Harrowing of Hell was a popular tale in mediaeval times, the purpose of which was to rescue the souls of the patriarchy. I'm thinking that perhaps the murders are punishment for the sins of the fathers/husbands/parents etc. McCardle's murder mimics that found in Dante's Vestibule of Hell, whereby the souls are tormented by hornets and wasps "until their cheeks ran with blood". These poor sods are the neutrals - people who sat on the fence in life, refusing to make a choice at times that mattered. Perhaps a punishment on the mother who didn't speak up about the abuse? Or on the father in some way? Mind you, McCardle could be being punished herself for not resisting the urge of lust, although the punishments for them are slightly different.

Clare however died peacefully; circle 1 of hell is where the limbo souls reside. They're not tormented as such (hence the peaceful death?) but are suspended, supposedly suffering from the absence of god. However, in contrast to the neutrals/refusers, these lot didn't have the opportunity to choose god - they were unbaptsized etc. This is why they don't suffer the same as in other levels of hell. Is there some connection with Clare and her husband's reaction to their daughters death? Can't remember how she died myself.

Now in the 9th circle of hell are the souls of people who have sown discord during their lifetime. The Schismatics who divided families, churches, nations etc. They were cuts to shreds and the like - possibly strung up I can't remember. Perhaps the final two girls in ep1 caused a family rift, or were two friends/sisters who themselves had been torn apart through parental folly etc? Not sure about that one, see what happens tonight!

Finally, if the Isobel connection isn't a red herring, I wonder if she fulfils the circles of incontinence - a place for those who have not deliberately chosen sin but who have done nothing to prevent it - the sins of self-indulgence, weakness of will etc. Dante describes them as "down-dropping through the air, impelled by love." Perhaps Isobel did nothing to prevent her seduction by that dodgy lecturer, and when she found out that McCardle was pregnant by him, she couldn't cope and so threw herself off the building. This could result in, Se7en stylee, the revenge by her father; circle 5 of hell contains the wrathful.

I reckon there will definitely be a male victim or two - it's the overarching theme of either retribution or soul saving ("save me") that the murderer's interested in, rather than the victims per se. We know that the church gets involved somehow, and there's a group of sinners called the simoniacs - simony being "a deliberate intention of buying or selling for a temporal price such things as are spiritual of annexed unto spirituals". They were burnt I think.

Ho hum, I really need to get out more on such a fine day as this...
29-08-2005, 04:53 PM
My tv magazine actually states what the murders are a recreation of....

but I won't spoil it for you Big Grin
29-08-2005, 09:18 PM
ilovesurvivor Wrote:My tv magazine actually states what the murders are a recreation of....

:laugh:
Nice one ILS! I love it when peeps post their theories and then somone else posts the same theory word for word :whistling what would we do without google.
But hey Pats I loved your theory for a minute there I thought I was going to be next.
How come this is Messiah IV?
I don't remember Messiah 3, or was that last year and the first two were shown together

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
29-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Is that what stephjw has done then? Am I being just a little bit naieve(sp)? Did it really say all that in the TV mag?
29-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Patsy Wrote:Is that what stephjw has done then? Am I being just a little bit naieve(sp)? Did it really say all that in the TV mag?

No! I wasn't suggesting that post, but it does happen quite a bit, loads on doctor who and desperate housewives

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
29-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Why would anyone be bothered to do that? Just to take some extremely short-lived and undeserved glory? I was going to say. That was rather a lot more info than I would envisage being in a TV mag. I shall now congratulate stephjw on being spot-on with the Dante theory. I love that painting, too; it's so gorey and harrowing and nasty.

Mr P reckons it's Jack, Isobel's father. I think that's a bit too obvious.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Messiah IV ils 26 2,593 31-08-2005 07:18 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  DH - my theory *spoiler!!* kookycat 33 3,796 23-06-2005 07:51 PM
Last Post: sayangmouse
  Derren Brown - Messiah Ceridwen 14 2,145 09-01-2005 06:43 PM
Last Post: Ceridwen
  Mine all mine Bob 3 1,059 17-12-2004 07:17 PM
Last Post: Bob