Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Models too thin?
29-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Models too thin?

Just read this.......

LONDON (Reuters) - One of the main backers of London Fashion Week on Sunday rejected government calls for a ban on wafer-thin models as the fashion industry faced a furore over its catwalks.

"Outright bans and indeed legislation is definitely not a route we want to go down," said Marks and Spencer chief executive Stuart Rose, who is chairman of the British Fashion Council that is organising the event which starts on Monday.

He was responding to a plea from Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell for London to follow Madrid's example and ban skinny models.

Madrid fashion organisers have taken the unprecedented step of rejecting underweight women, saying they wanted to project an image of beauty and health -- not a waif-like look.

The new Spanish rules say models with a body mass index (BMI) -- a ratio of height to weight -- below 18 are not allowed to appear at the shows.

Urging London to follow Madrid's example, Jowell said "The fashion industry's promotion of beauty as meaning stick thin is damaging to young girls' self-image and to their health.

"The fashion industry is hugely powerful in shaping the attitude of teenage girls and their feelings about themselves," she said in a statement.

Rejecting her call, Rose said "Are we going to ask people to walk through detectors for BMI and say I'm sorry you're rejected? That would be quite difficult."

.....I think its a great idea. The fashion industry has used freak to differentiate itself for too long without any consideration or responsibility that it puts pressure on teenage girls to emulate the freak images portrayed.

Gets my vote. Typical crip about walking through a BMI detector - doesn't take a machine to tell if someone looks healthy (Cindy Crawford et al) or like an emaciated crack addict (you know who I mean).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Models too thin?
I agree with this. I know designers choose very thin models because (according to them) the clothes hang better - but it doesnt make normal sized women want to buy their clothes in my opinion.

Like you say, Cindy Crawford looks wonderful, and she isn't a stick. In fact, more models in the 80s were a little larger than todays. Its the same with actresses. I think Catherine Zeta Jones and Penelope Cruz look far better than the emaciated actresses.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Models too thin?
gatubela Wrote:He was responding to a plea from Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell for London to follow Madrid's example and ban skinny models.

Nanny state gone mad!

Has Tessa Jowell really got nothing more important on her plate to worry about?

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
29-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Models too thin?
agreed.

Anyway I think it's just as wrong to discriminate against people on the grounds that they are too skinny, as it is to discriminate against others for being too fat.
29-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Models too thin?
A lot of people are naturally slim - but they are healthy. They eat balanced meals and they have glowing skin.

The ones i dissaprove of are the people who arent naturally slim. There was a model recently who was told she was too large for the the clothes she had to model on the catwalk. I think she was 9 stone and about 6 foot. She ended up eating just one lettuce leaf and diet coke for a month and lost 2 stone. She came off the catwalk and died.

Thats why this story is suddenly in the news at the moment and why some designers are saying they will no longer use un-naturally small models.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
30-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Models too thin?
There is such a thing as being to thin to the point of looking like a skeleton with a skin graft.

I couldn't believe what I saw the other day [SIZE="3"]A SIZE 4 EVENING DRESS,[/SIZE] well I mean it looked little more than a scarf. I've always thought that tailored sizes 6, 8 and some 10's were made for anorexic sufferers. But a tailored size 4 eveing gown looks like it would be required for a corpse that had lost everything after having been underground for ten years.

Even posh spice is thin for a size 8. But I can't imagine anyone being a size 4.

I suppose if a size 4 woman was in bed with her man he'd be frightened to roll over in case she snapped.

All models who are to thin should be encouraged to put on some weight for as they are, they do not make good role models, for those likely to have a food disorder. Those who are fuller figured should work for the larger range companies such as Evans. When they get themselves some designers who do something other than a potato sack.

It would also be lovely to see larger models used for the fashion industry as a whole. People with the build of say Charlotte Church and Nikki Chapman are the norm, so they should not be excluded.

MAUREEN
NORTHERN ANGEL.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
30-09-2006, 07:27 AM
Models too thin?
An alternative to banning skinny models is to educate young people not to use them (or any celebrities come to that) as role-models.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
30-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Models too thin?
I just think it's a little hypocritical to complain about people being judged as too fat and then think it's okay to judge people for being too skinny. Whilst I agree it is awful that people feel pressured into losing so much weight they become ill as a result - there are people naturally that skinny. I've known some very small girls in my time (even one who was smaller than a size 6) and they hated the fact that people wouldn't leave them alone asking if they were anorexic or had some sort of illness.

My brothers partner sprang back to a size six after having her baby and there's no way the girl is anorexic, she's extremely healthy and loves being the xsize she is - although she did admit she wished her breasts hadn#'t shrunk back with the rest of her.
02-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Models too thin?
Maybe they should ban air-brushing on the glossy mags, let us see the models. celebs as they really are without adding a few inches to their legs and few inches of their waists.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
02-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Models too thin?
Now that would make more sense Bella, and surely provide better role models