Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Blink help needed
19-07-2005, 09:37 AM
More Blink help needed

Blink - thought I'd try this one on you before I start posting on internet forums, never to get a reply.

My Outlook Express is jammed.

Mrs SF tried to send a mammoth 80MB attachment yesterday. Needless to say it wouldn't send, it failed part way through. But more than that, I now can't get rid of it from my Outbox. When I go to Outbox, the mere act of showing the mail item on the screen puts up an egg timer then OE goes non responsive. And of course I cant simply ignore it because when I go online it tries to send the mail item again.

Any ideas how I can get rid of the darn thing because until then I cant use my email service.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2005, 11:16 AM
More Blink help needed
I strongly suspect that Outlook Express has got a built-in timeout. The first thing to try would be leaving the computer at it (with your modem unplugged, or at least not online) for about five minutes. By that stage you should get a report that the message could not be sent, and you should then be able to delete it. That's the easiest way to fix the problem.

If Outlook is still hung after 10 minutes, let me know, and I make some other suggestions.

I'm not fond of Outlook, incidentally. For the same reasons I'm not fond of Internet Explorer. Bugginess and inherent insecurity. Try Mozilla Thunderbird. Of various email clients I've tried, I find it the easiest to use, with a sufficiently high degree of flexibility for my purposes. It also appears to be pretty robust - something which OE can't claim. Oh, and it's free.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-07-2005, 11:22 AM
More Blink help needed
Blink Wrote:I strongly suspect that Outlook Express has got a built-in timeout. The first thing to try would be leaving the computer at it (with your modem unplugged, or at least not online) for about five minutes. By that stage you should get a report that the message could not be sent, and you should then be able to delete it. That's the easiest way to fix the problem.

Blink I haven't tried your suggestion yet, but surely if I try to send without the modem connected OE will come up saying I'm not connected to the internet? And do you mean simply disconnect my broadband using the icon at the bottom right of my screen, or do you mean physically switch off or unplug the modem?

19-07-2005, 11:42 AM
More Blink help needed
Whatever you have to do to disconnect from the internet, do it. Then Outlook may well tell you you're not connected, and go into "work offline" mode. You can then perform the steps in my first note above.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
19-07-2005, 11:45 AM
More Blink help needed
Ok Blink I will give that a go.

If that doesn't work, I have come across a forum with email type topics, so rather than you troubling you any more I will give them a go. EIther way I'll let you know what happens. Thanks Blink.

19-07-2005, 01:29 PM
More Blink help needed
Blink - it didn't work because OE wouldn't try to send or receive in offline mode.

However! i did get a suggestion from that website I mentioned, to go in behind the scenes and delete the outbox, which I did, after which OE made a new, empty one. So now it's all OK. But thanks very much for your assistance in this one.

19-07-2005, 01:39 PM
More Blink help needed
suvivorfan Wrote:it didn't work because OE wouldn't try to send or receive in offline mode.
Erm - well that was exactly my point. You could then go into the outbox and delete the unsent email.

suvivorfan Wrote:to go in behind the scenes and delete the outbox, which I did, after which OE made a new, empty one. So now it's all OK. But thanks very much for your assistance in this one.
But that works too! Glad you got it sorted. Smile

Try and keep your wife in check in future.

:laugh:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  One for Blink or a recording buff survivorfan 16 1,604 21-07-2006 09:03 AM
Last Post: Blink
  Nuts Blink Nuts survivorfan 10 1,225 30-06-2006 04:13 PM
Last Post: bridge
  Help needed. Northern angel 1 284 06-01-2006 08:15 PM
Last Post: Northern angel
  Maybe Blink can help me? survivorfan 5 714 13-07-2005 11:07 AM
Last Post: survivorfan
  Help needed regarding Wordpad and Microsoft Word PJ 10 1,104 26-04-2005 08:19 AM
  help - Blink! survivorfan 17 1,816 26-04-2005 08:00 AM
  Question for Blink! ils 26 1,901 27-02-2005 07:49 PM
Last Post: ils
  More help needed - Im hopeless PJ 8 842 12-11-2004 11:02 AM