Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosquitos! Help!
22-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Mosquitos! Help!

Just partook in the Hayfever thread and it got me thinking *which is rare*...

Anyone else here noticed how many mozzies (bigg b*ggers too) are around at the moment? There seems to be more than I've ever seen.

I am very allergic to mozzies, only some tho, unfortunately I can't be sure till after they have bitten me! I can get an anaphylactic shock reaction so have to carry Epipen injections all the time.

Some medical people have told me that mozzies from abroad are coming over (mainly in containers) and are adapting to life in the UK, others have told me the exact opposite...what I want to know is, are any of you allergic to them, or have become allergic recently, and, have you noticed an increase in them here?

M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Mosquitos! Help!
I am allergic to mosquitoes I got bitten in Yugoslavia years ago and my hands became badly swollen. In France a few years ago I reacted to a bite and was covered in a lumps even in my hair I had to go to hospital and have what I think was a cortisone injection and go on a course of anti histamines. It cleared very quickly after the injection but now I take anti histamines for at least a week before I go away and cover myself in insect repellent. Its odd how they are attracted to some people and not others, all to do with pheremones I believe. I haven't seen any about yet but dread the thought of foreign ones invading us.
Find all posts by this user
22-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Mosquitos! Help!
Get hold of your local Avon Lady. Order Skin-so-Soft dry oil spray (in the bluey-greeny spray bottle) and just spray in hair and on feet very liberally at sundown. Short bursts throughout the day works well. You can gert a small pocket size one to carry round with you. Mozzies hate it, it's safe enough for new born babies, and it doesn't smell too bad either! :cool2:
22-04-2005, 10:59 PM
Mosquitos! Help!
I have tried that Censor and it did keep em at bay! Ive also heard that the US Army used or uses it?

Unfortunately I have to resort to Jungle Formula 50% Deet, which stinks but psychologically gives me more peace of mind Smile
Another good tip is if you are taking antihistamine tabs and are bitten, is to crush a tab in a little water and use it as a paste on the bite.

What worries me most is mozzies in the UK, my worst reactions have been from bites here. I think that people in the know are keeping quiet.
M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
22-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Mosquitos! Help!
Actually (and you're gonna hate this)....the best relief for a mozzie bite is to be dabbed with your own urine - and the stronger the better.

The nasty things usually work the best.

Same as if you swim off a beach where there may be jellyfish, always keep a small bottle of vinegar with you, it's the only way the ease the stings, or remove a clingy one from your skin.
22-04-2005, 11:19 PM
Mosquitos! Help!
Can't say Ive seen any mosquitos up here but the midges are starting to come out with a vengence and already peeing me off! I'm dreading the warmer weather coming cos our garden is always a haven for the little buggers.

Come to think of it, I don't think Id be able to tell the difference between a mosquito and a midge :blink:

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
22-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Mosquitos! Help!
PJ Wrote:Come to think of it, I don't think Id be able to tell the difference between a mosquito and a midge :blink:

PJ I think that midge's and mosquito's are one and the same. Not sure thought might be wrong.

XXxCheekyChopsXXX Heart
22-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Mosquitos! Help!
You can usually hear mozzies. Midges are silent and deadly little b**gers.

Smokers suddenly become very popular when the midges come out as the smoke seems to keep them at bay!

I can remember when I was a kid, you couldn't have a window open and a light on at the same time when the midges were out otherwise the room would just fill up with them.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
23-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Mosquitos! Help!
oh man...we have LOADS of mosquitos where I live....due to the very humid weather we have in the summer. There are times that you literally have to hold your breath when walking or you will breathe those suckers right into your mouth or nose. Yuck...i can't stand them and when I'm outdoors a lot I get really figitty as a reaction to trying to keep those pesky bugs off of me. They're terrible.
23-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Mosquitos! Help!
I have found the best mozzie deterent for anyone is ....ME...if I am with you the beggers will always pick me...I swear the little blighters love my blood....my friends have even noticed it.....they get bitten when I'm not around but not when I am! :sad:

I come up in huge lumps...massive! :cry:

Have noticed any of the little blighters yet this year though....but then I don't get out much and when I do it's not into Mozzie controlled territory! :ninja:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]