Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Dad's Dog
31-05-2005, 01:24 PM
My Dad's Dog

I got a phone call from my mum last night.

She said:
"We lost Mac on Friday night"
My response was:
"O dear, have you found him"
She said:
"No, Becks the other kind of lost" :wallbash:

Mac was six years old, last time I saw him he was chasing pigeons in the garden barking. Apparently he had a heart attack on friday. Dad was extremely close to Mac, closer than I will ever be to Dad. He was a bit of a terror, but he was the loveable rogue so I had a wee dram to toast his passing last night.

They have burried up by dads outdoor railway and dad is going to put a station on top named after him (my husband suggested Macthehand Station, as Mac once bit dad and severed a tendent in his hand, I think dads thinking more St. Mac Station)

Anyway,
I know dads really cut up about it and I would like to do something. But the question is what. I have very little money (student loans not due to sept) but am good with my hands. So if anyone has any suggestions I would love to here them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2005, 01:29 PM
My Dad's Dog
Becks, sorry to hear that. 6 years old is very young for a dog to die. Such a shame Sad

I honestly don't know what could cheer your dad up at the moment - you probably feel like nothing will.
When our elderly neighbours cat died, she was devastated. My mum found this lovely little poem on the internet about her cat being in heaven etc and printed it out. She also had a picture of the Cat which she stuck onto it. She got it framed and gave it to my neighbour who was delighted and now keeps it on her mantle piece.
Perhaps you could try that? A lot of these poems can be found on the internet. there is a very nice one called "Rainbow Bridge" I think.
Perhaps your dad might appreciate something like this?

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2005, 01:47 PM
My Dad's Dog
Becks- im very sorry to hear about your Fathers loss.

A few of us on here have lost pets recently, and to be honest - nothing really helps if you are that close to your animals.

When i lost Brucie i wanted to be left alone for a while to grieve in private. Even about a month later i still cried when i thought of him, and looking at photographs killed me.

Now though - the pain isnt so bad, and a few weeks ago i was desperately searching through my photo's trying to find a perfect one of him so i could frame it (similar to what PJ said below).

Maybe, in a month or so you could find a nice photo (maybe ask your mum to look through their collection) and frame it for him. Im sure he would appreciate the sentiment. Alternatively get the photo enlarged by Boots or equivalent, and put in a frame that would look perfect on a wall (rather than on a mantle etc).

I hope he starts to feel better soon.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
31-05-2005, 01:53 PM
My Dad's Dog
I am sorry to hear about your dad's dog Becks.

I think PJ's suggestion a very good one and something your dad will appreciate in time to come, or as Bonnie said just a photo of Mac . I do think Bonnie is right though, at the moment, I don't think anything will help, he will just have to work though his grief.
31-05-2005, 02:25 PM
My Dad's Dog
I'm sorry to hear about your dads dog too. I think PJ and Bonnies ideas are nice. My dad had to have his dog put down last year (he was 14) and I know he was heartbroken about it, but I didn't even think of doing anything. I wish I had now though, it's such a nice thought.

Perhaps a card to say you love him and are thinking of him?

Gel x
31-05-2005, 05:40 PM
My Dad's Dog
Becks what a shame about Mac? So young?

My Dad was similarly close to Bungle [his dog] and when Bungle died, my sister and I got a photo of him and got had it blown up and we framed it - my sister wrote a poem and stuck it to the back of the picture.

My Dad was touched beyond belief - he had the picture in pride of place and talked about Bungle endlessly with anyone who would listen - even Katy [Bungle's replacement] she didn't mind one bit - she listened with rapture each and everytime Bungles name was mentioned!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

31-05-2005, 06:14 PM
My Dad's Dog
If I suggested DIY taxidermy, would you be cross? :ninja:
31-05-2005, 06:25 PM
My Dad's Dog
:unsure:

Still unsure if this thread is for real.......

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
31-05-2005, 10:53 PM
My Dad's Dog
Its difficult to decide what and when.

I too would suggest a lovely framed photo, give it time tho.
Oh the poem is lovely, as PJ said its called Rainbow Bridge, the lovely PJ actually sent it to me when I lost Silver and I printed it out on nice paper and its kept in his ashes casket with a fave rosette, a lock of his hair and one of his polished up shoes, a bit like a memento box. Having said that, if Mac was cremated, what about buying a lovely, ornate box for his ashes? My previous kitties all reside in ornately carved boxes, they look like jewellery boxes really, so they don't look too macabre.

In time, mementos mean sooo much, I'm sure he will be touched with whatever you get for him.

M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
01-06-2005, 10:01 AM
My Dad's Dog
Patsy Wrote:If I suggested DIY taxidermy, would you be cross? :ninja:

My hubby does it for a hobby - but he refuses to do family pets as his handbook says its impossible to capture their character - plus he doesnt get on with my parents.

Thanks for all the lovely ideas, I'm sending him a card down in the mean time.

Macs been burried underneath my dads outdoor railway and is having a station put on it to mark the spot.