Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Holiday
11-09-2005, 09:11 PM
My Holiday

I'd like to tell you all about my week away - but unfortunately I can't stop shaking when I think about it but here's the potted version.

I suppose it was a lethal combination, with hindsight. Mr. C with his diabetes which makes him grumpy and intolerant at times, 12 yr old grandson whose language skills have deteriorated into "I'm bored", "I want.." and "Whatever" and whose limbs seem to have outgrown his brain, and me, doting nan who just wants everyone to be happy :wacko:

A couple of highspots:

A day at Heatherington Park in Tenby which had all the things g/son and Mr C loved like Go-Karts, Archery, Clay Pigeon Shooting, a Golf Practice thingy, and shooting.

A visit to the Danyr-Ogof Caves which was expensive and a bit boring (seen one you've seen them all) but this one opens out into a huge cave with a waterfall and river which they call The Cathedral Cave and which is licensed for weddings. The day we went there was a wedding and as we were the only ones in there we were allowed to watch from a distance. They had candelabras and flowers and it was very "Phantom of the Opera". A shame the bride didn't arrive in a gondola but you can't have it all. Unfortunately I had taken loads of boring pictures of stalagmites and stalagtites so when I went to get some pics of the interesting stuff the camera came up with "Card Full". I tried frantically to figure out how to delete some pics but in the dark and without my instruction book - no chance.

Low spots:

Entrance to holiday camp being down a single lane road with passing places dotted about which was about 3 miles long and which Mr C treated like a race track! I kept making excuses to (a) not leave the camp and (b) not go back to it!
Discovering that our caravan was furthest away from all the "amenities" (it was practically in the next village)
No kids of g/son's age on the camp, all of them having gone back to school.
Rain.
Mr C nearly killing us trying to overtake a car and 3 motorbikes in single file and having to swerve to avoid a head on collision, narrowly missing knocking one of the motorcyclists off his bike and the oncoming car.
Rain
Following grandson up a cliff and feeling pretty darn clever until I tried to come down and had a panic attack. Phoned Mr. C to try and get up the top by car and carried on up and up but still no road. Mr. C phoning to say that he was stuck down a dirt track and where the hell were we! Ended up having to go down the way I went up and having blazing row at the bottom which resulted in not talking to each other til next day! (The view from the top was pretty stunning though) Blush
Mr C nearly killing us by not noticing a car approaching from the left at a roundabout until I screamed out.
Rain
Hiring a bike for Grandson for the week and after an hour he pronounced it "crap" and never used it again.

Home again:

Getting home to find that my car, which had been parked under some trees further down the road, was unrecognisable as being white because it was covered in sap, leaves, twigs, bird droppings, mud etc. (Finding out that the police had been round because someone thought it was abandoned!)
Taking said car to the carwash and finding that it didn't wash off.

Racing round Tesco and Matalan trying to find some school shirts and trousers for g/son and having to buy age 16 and cutting off most of the legs and turning them up and pressing them in the middle of the unpacking and washing.

Talking to a father outside the changing rooms in Matalan who said "if you think they're awkward at 12, wait til he's 15 - they get worse!" (Thanks Pal)

Mr C taking himself off flying all day today and planning to do the same tomorrow while I create some order out of chaos.

Pass the Valium please.
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2005, 09:15 PM
My Holiday
Glad that you made it back safe and sound Crit. Smile

I must add that I really don't think that you should go on holiday ever again. :blink:

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2005, 09:16 PM
My Holiday
oh I'm sorry to hear of your disastarous episodes there, Crit, but my oh my what a way with words you have, a very funny piece of writing! you really are a very talented writer Crit! you should write a column for your local paper!

I'm sure even you laughed at some of it!!

I have to say that Mr C's driving sounds very similar to a friend of mine's husband. he drives like a complete nightmare and if he's on a narrow road which only allows one row of traffic he lets three cars go past him and that's his lot, vrooom off he goes with a care in the world for the oncoming traffic who have no idea about his rule of "three through"!!

I expect you are glad you are back home ... errr arent' you?!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
11-09-2005, 09:36 PM
My Holiday
Eeek!
At least you're home safe now. I'm sure you'll soon be able to look back at it and laugh...
And hey, at least it was certainly a holiday to remember!

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
11-09-2005, 09:58 PM
My Holiday
Tigger - I agree wholeheartedly. As I live by the sea anyway I don't think I'll bother - will go on a shopping spree with all the money I save by not going away :laugh:

Dol - thankyou for the compliment. I used to think I'd like to write but I'm just too darn lazy Blush Yep, he subscribes to the "3 cars and we're off" rule too. :wacko: The strange thing with Mr C's driving is that he can't do "slow". We were doing 80 mph a lot of the time on the 240 mile journey home and I have to say that I wasn't nervous then. He gets impatient on motorways when people won't move over but doesn't do daft things (often). My main criticism on motorways is driving too close to the car in front when he wants to get past but other than that he seems to concentrate far better at speed (just as well eh?)

PJ - A holiday to forget as soon as possible I think Wink
11-09-2005, 10:07 PM
My Holiday
:laugh: Sorry Crit it sounds even more amusing written down than it did on the phone. Send him on an advanced driving course and let someone else suffer.
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2005, 10:18 PM
My Holiday
Oh dear it makes my holiday sound like a paradise dream!
I'd seriously consider going away on your own next time, at least then you only have yourself to blame if it goes wrong.

And sorry but LMAO at your cliff adventure- but hey it was worth it for the views :laugh:

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
11-09-2005, 10:36 PM
My Holiday
mazwad Wrote::laugh: Sorry Crit it sounds even more amusing written down than it did on the phone. Send him on an advanced driving course and let someone else suffer.

May I just remind everyone that this is Mazz's brother we are talking about here :devil:

It was a spectacular view - did I mention that it was at Pendine Sands where they did the land speed record thingy? There's about 7 miles of sand I believe.

Here's a pic I took - our car is down there in the car park to the left somewhere, unless he was stuck up the dirt track road at the precise moment I took it :laugh: - but you can see how high up I managed to climb by how tiny the people (person) look(s).

[Image: Wales3.jpg]
11-09-2005, 10:37 PM
My Holiday
Crit... at least you can say your holiday wasn't boring! Goodness me it sounds like the holiday from hell! :wacko:

I must also echo Dol's sentiments about your writing, it was a fantastic read!

Glad you are home safe though :hug:
11-09-2005, 10:39 PM
My Holiday
LOL - thanks ILS. I think separate holidays are definitely on the cards in future though. :laugh:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone flying out on holiday? Fee For All 2 796 03-08-2007 03:57 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  Holiday Packing Buzz 8 824 16-08-2006 09:36 PM
Last Post: Sammboelyn
  Bank Holiday - What you up to the eh? Cat 27 1,740 31-05-2006 03:29 PM
Last Post: Tigereye
  Holiday/Relationship/Friends dilemma. PJ 36 2,584 11-05-2006 09:26 PM
Last Post: Cat
  Family Holiday Insurance survivorfan 14 1,823 25-02-2006 11:22 AM