Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mouse keeps sticking!
18-07-2005, 06:20 AM
My mouse keeps sticking!

I am noticing this happening more and more...only when on the internet (here or the Channel 4 site), my mouse will freeze for no reason when open a new page, click to view a different page etc. The only thing I can do then is switch the pooter off by the plug and start again - then it is fine...until the next time?

What is occuring here? Is it my mouse, my computer, gremlins in cyber space...WHAT CAN IT BE?

Any idea's.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2005, 07:40 AM
My mouse keeps sticking!
Mine's been doing this since I binned the old clockwork mouse and got one of these new fangled optical thingies, Cat. It only ever sticks on start-up though - not during operations. I don't know what causes it and I just switch the damn thing off too. Hopefully someone with Knowledge will give us a pointer so we can carry on clicking.

Tell you what, though - my machine definitely wouldn't forgive me turning it off at the plug! Doesn't this cause problems for you? On the couple of occasions when mine was turned off accidentally, without closing it down first, it threw a severe tantrum and wouldn't work properly for days afterwards. I use the keyboard to close it all down when the mouse sticks.
18-07-2005, 09:13 AM
My mouse keeps sticking!
If you've got a fancy mouse with fancy drivers (like Microsoft's Intellimouse software, for example), try uninstalling those drivers. You might not be able to use the extra 5 gazillion programmable buttons on the mouse, but frankly who needs them? You always press the wrong ones accidentally anyway. All mice and tracking devices will still have basic functionality (movement, left, right, centre and scroll buttons) with the optional drivers removed.

Dabs is right about not switching off at the plug. There are usually lots of things you can try before doing that. If you have a reasonably modern keyboard, you'll have a Windows logo key, which you can use to bring up the Start menu. You can then use the cursor keys to shut down. In any pop up box, if there are underlined letters (e.g. "Shut down"), you can press the corresponding key on your keyboard (e.g. "S") to access that function.

If your PC appears to have hung, it might only be one program that has crashed, rather than everything. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete (hold down control and alt, then tap delete), and a box will normally pop up with a list of programs. If one of those programs is listed as "not responding", you can simply end that program, and continue working.

Two other things can cause the kind of interference that you're experience, Cat. Sound card drivers and modem drivers. Try looking for updated drivers for both of those (see the manufacturer's web site). That may also fix your problem.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
18-07-2005, 10:09 AM
My mouse keeps sticking!
Blink, my printer keeps getting stuck and I think tht's down to the mouse as well.

Any good with printers?

I've taken a picture of the printer here.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
18-07-2005, 10:12 AM
My mouse keeps sticking!
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:
Find all posts by this user
18-07-2005, 10:17 AM
My mouse keeps sticking!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
18-07-2005, 12:47 PM
My mouse keeps sticking!
Lovely!! :shocking: :laugh: :laugh:

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

22-07-2005, 05:17 PM
My mouse keeps sticking!
Blink Wrote:If you've got a fancy mouse with fancy drivers (like Microsoft's Intellimouse software, for example), try uninstalling those drivers. You might not be able to use the extra 5 gazillion programmable buttons on the mouse, but frankly who needs them? You always press the wrong ones accidentally anyway. All mice and tracking devices will still have basic functionality (movement, left, right, centre and scroll buttons) with the optional drivers removed.

Dabs is right about not switching off at the plug. There are usually lots of things you can try before doing that. If you have a reasonably modern keyboard, you'll have a Windows logo key, which you can use to bring up the Start menu. You can then use the cursor keys to shut down. In any pop up box, if there are underlined letters (e.g. "Shut down"), you can press the corresponding key on your keyboard (e.g. "S") to access that function.

If your PC appears to have hung, it might only be one program that has crashed, rather than everything. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete (hold down control and alt, then tap delete), and a box will normally pop up with a list of programs. If one of those programs is listed as "not responding", you can simply end that program, and continue working.

Two other things can cause the kind of interference that you're experience, Cat. Sound card drivers and modem drivers. Try looking for updated drivers for both of those (see the manufacturer's web site). That may also fix your problem.

Blink, I have tried all of these things (except the thing in the last paragraph - I don't understand that). The screen just freezes dosn't react to anything, not a sausage..the only option is to unplug. It fires up again fine, maybe my computer just likes a good beating now and again.....but it is happening more often.
24-07-2005, 05:04 PM
My mouse keeps sticking!
When this happened earlier today I took a step back and studied what was a foot...I think the problem lies more in my keyboard than the mouse. It just dosn't react to anything....caps lock etc becomes defuncted. The light is on but no one is home.

Why is this happening to me?
24-07-2005, 08:39 PM
My mouse keeps sticking!
Cat, this used to happen to my computer as well. Touch wood it's not happened recently. Watch it freeze up now:w00t:

I don't think it's anything to do with the mouse or the keyboard, I think it's more of the computer actually crashing.

I couldn't do anything with mine either. The picture froze, I wasn't able to move the mouse, couldn't even press control-alt-delete to bring up the task manager.
All I had could do was switch off at the mains and I know you aren't supposed to do that.

I know I'm not being much help am I, but thought I'd let you know it's happened to me as well.

[Image: 429.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mouse Problem Patsy 5 618 21-04-2006 07:40 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Crazy Mouse! Andrea 8 860 28-02-2006 09:17 PM
Last Post: Andrea