Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new little boxer
02-12-2008, 08:33 PM
My new little boxer

Last year I enrolled my twin grandsons in a boxing club. Shane was quite aggressive and I thought the discipline would do him good and Billy lacked confidence so I hoped it would give him some. It has certainly worked for Billy he is a different child now and makes friends easily. Shane still has problems accepting authority but is getting better.

Shane had his first real match at Butlins last weekend and lost on points but according to his grandad put up a good fight. He is the one in the black top. Billys opponent never turned up so he had yet to have his first fight.

[Image: shanefight1013small.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2008, 08:52 PM
My new little boxer
excellent pic Maz!

my son who's nearly 15 has recently expressed an interest in joining the boxing club. It's the only thing he's shown an interest in lately other than hanging around with his mates - so I will look in to it for him. There is a good boxing club just up the road from us. I kind of know the bloke who runs it.

I'm not really pro-boxing to be honest - I think it's quite an explotative (is that even a word?!) sport. But I'd still like Luke to give it a go if he fancies it.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2008, 09:00 PM
My new little boxer
I do agree about the exploiting bit as this match was, I think, at the Rotary Club dinner and they had paid a lot of money for the tickets. Shane did come away with an England shirt as all the boxers that took part got to choose a prize as well as trophys.

If nothing else its good exercise for kids and gets them off the X-box for a while.
03-12-2008, 09:15 AM
My new little boxer
My lad did it with a mate of his when he was 12/13ish or so and was pretty timid when he first started but quickly becmae confident when he discovered he was actually pretty handy so to speak.

He's 17 now and over 6ft. He stopped a long while back but has recently taken to doing shadow boxing as his warm up at the gym. He's showing an interest in taking up boxercise as a fitness regime so all good.

Also, he's not a particularly blokey lad (he likes his ladies) but he still has a certain confidence when in a confrontational environment (gatecrashers at mates parties etc) as he has been able to handle himself quickly and decisively

So yep, as an adult sport I feel it's questionable but as youth fitness & discipline thing it's spot on. Fitness, confidence, respect, focus, commaradarie (yeah whatever). The only thing is that when they take a pounding, as will happen, you need to encourage them to know they need to step up - not give it up

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh
03-12-2008, 05:06 PM
My new little boxer
I'm not too keen on them getting hurt which is why I didn't go, I didn't want to leap out of my seat if Shane was getting knocked around. He went on a long run the next day as he had decided he wasn't fit enough so as you say the discipline and exercise can only be good for them.

I would hate them to become bully boys and feel that if they know they can defend themselves that will be enough.

I would encourage Luke to have a go Dol, Billy and Shane are definitely fitter since they started boxing.