Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My observations of the recent news & your posts
28-11-2005, 01:02 PM

Let's start with

George Best.

1. He was a great footballer of his day but his career was only effectively 7 years
2. He'd had a transplant of a healthy liver donated from someone elses loss
3. Another recipient may have followed common medical advise and not have abused that liver and brought on an early demise
4. His transplant operation was paid for by the NHS - ie you and me
5. His care prior to his death was paid for by the NHS - ie you and me
6. He died a slow death brought about from alcohol abuse

Gary Glitter

Don't really need to say much here other than another man given a second chance to reform....to no avail

BTW...do those who supprot Gb & the comments that alcohlism is a disease regard paedeophillia as a disease ??

I'll leave that there

The shooting of a Policewoman by asylum seekers/foriegn nationals.

The press are making a huge thing of them being foriegn nationals/illegals/asylum seekers (depends on the paper/news you buy into).

This could be slightly more reasonable detail were they carrying out an act of terrorism. However, the way I see this is that this was just an armed robbery that went horrifically wrong.

I wait to be proven wrong but the hysteria is bubbling up to generate ill feeling to Somalians per-se.

I'm not deriding the death of this brave woman but at the presses tarring of all of an ethnic or racial group for the sake of column inches.

Robert Burns

A courageous young man of 34 who was World Rally Champion for the UK and who died at the same time as GB but recieved next to no media praise. He died of a brain tumour diagnosed 2 years ago. He had been fighting it and had had a particularly hard time and yet when ever confronted with a camera would just pass it off and focus on the sporting event in hand.

It seems to me that only the bad boys get the attention. The truely gifted and responsible members of sport or society seem to be ignored. Robert was a true gentleman and a credit to British sporting achievements and yet hardly a mention in favour of a booze addled has-been
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Slipper Wrote:.............a booze addled has-been

Only your opinion, of course. :wink2:
28-11-2005, 01:42 PM
In fairness...Robert Burns got quite a bit of coverage in the papers over the weekend.
I read about him in the sports section..and I saw a bit about him on the tea time news on tv on saturday evening.There was a recap on his career and his illness etc Sad..RIP..
But obvioulsy not as much as george best The george best coverage was waaay over the top.

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
28-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Patsy Wrote:Only your opinion, of course. :wink2:

as you have editted it down to the one comment I presume you concur with the rest?!

:closedeye

Yes my opinion - hence the title of the thread.....MY OBSERVATIONS......:glare:
28-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Slipper Wrote:Robert Burns

A courageous young man of 34 who was World Rally Champion for the UK and who died at the same time as GB but recieved next to no media praise. He died of a brain tumour diagnosed 2 years ago. He had been fighting it and had had a particularly hard time and yet when ever confronted with a camera would just pass it off and focus on the sporting event in hand.

It seems to me that only the bad boys get the attention. The truely gifted and responsible members of sport or society seem to be ignored. Robert was a true gentleman and a credit to British sporting achievements and yet hardly a mention in favour of a booze addled has-been

I might have been more impressed with this if you at least got his name right - Robert Burns was a Scottish poet.

Richard Burns was the rally driver who died.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Today was a good day for news ... survivorfan 12 1,809 28-04-2007 12:01 AM
Last Post: Fee For All
  Unintentionally funny BBC news story Seabreeze 9 1,012 22-02-2007 10:29 AM
Last Post: Slipper
  Puzzling news headlines survivorfan 2 584 26-09-2006 10:52 AM
Last Post: MariaRob
  Unusual news items survivorfan 5 718 23-06-2006 07:35 AM
Last Post: msgirl