Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NHS - What's happening to it?
21-04-2006, 11:01 PM

After going to a meeting today which, after being out of the NHS for a few years, was very insightful.
Decisions in the NHS are now basically decided on a departments budget.

I was going to talk about the place I am working at, and the problems they are having opening a new dialysis unit in a local hospital, but I deleted it all because I ended up waffling.

But I just want to say how the NHS now is so restricted by a departments budget.
A senior sister/charge nurse on a ward now doesn't come into contact with any patients anymore, she/he is basically an accountant working out a budget of what they can spend and how they can move money around to make the best of it.

There now isn't the huge gap between the doctors and nurses anymore, they all seem to work together and all have the same problems of being restricted by their budget.

My course has nearly finished and I think I am the only one who has a job following it. A group of about 100 newly qualified nurses has also just finished at the same time and they are fighting for jobs. Why pay for these nurses to do these courses if you aren't going to utilise them in the future.
The funding isn't there, no money to employ people, no money to carry on with these courses, no money to have courses to enhance peoples learning (ie. there used to be a renal course but thats gone now because of funding)

What the hell is going on?
Do the Department of Health have a lot to answer for?
Or is there such a huge waste in the NHS that the extra money the labour government have given us is just being thrown away?

Edited to add, I realise I am extremely lucky to have a job following my course.

[Image: 429.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2006, 04:00 PM
The NHS is falling apart. This Government has presided over what amounts to a national disaster; they've thrown billions of pounds of our taxes at the NHS, only to see much of the cash swallowed up in bureaucracy, massive pay awards for GPs and consultants which had not been fully thought through, and rudderless, inept management.

Administrators seem to multiply like flies while nurses are laid off, wards closed and hospitals "rationalised" (ie closed down meaning you have to travel miles for treatment)

But hey - what was that song they used to sing in the election campaign? "Things can only get better...?"

Tell that to the staff at my local hospital....
22-04-2006, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2006 09:32 PM by Pandora.)
Normal1 Wrote:The NHS is falling apart. This Government has presided over what amounts to a national disaster; they've thrown billions of pounds of our taxes at the NHS, only to see much of the cash swallowed up in bureaucracy, massive pay awards for GPs and consultants which had not been fully thought through, and rudderless, inept management.

Administrators seem to multiply like flies while nurses are laid off, wards closed and hospitals "rationalised" (ie closed down meaning you have to travel miles for treatment)

But hey - what was that song they used to sing in the election campaign? "Things can only get better...?"

Tell that to the staff at my local hospital....

Absolutely spot on.

The NHS Trust I work for is in absolutely dire straits. I work in a department that employs 14 members of staff, four of whom are Managers. We dont need FOUR managers - full stop. However not one of them are being looked at when redundancies are considered.

One of the cost cutting exercises thought up by the effing idiots running our Trust is to lay off 35 Medical Secretaries and ask the Consultants to dictate their letters/patient medical notes so they can be downloaded onto the Internet and typed up by people in India and South Africa.

This is going to be trialed for a month in order to iron out any problems that may occur.

There is a lot wrong with this bright idea. Firstly its an accident waiting to happen. The Consultants involved are Spanish, Scottish, Irish, Burmese, Dutch, Phillipino to name but a few. Their Medical Secretaries are used to their accents, their way of pronouncing words and drug names. Unfortunately the dictaphone also distorts accents which is going to make the job of audio typing in India and South Africa all the more difficult. Somewhere along the line a huge mistake will be made on a patient's medical notes because of this, buy hey - if it saves money - what the hell....
The Medical Secretaries are up in arms too because of the 'months trial to iron out any problems'. What basically will happen is that if there ARE any problems, then the transcribers in India and South Africa will be looking to the Secretaries to help them out. Not surprisingly, the Secretaries are saying they can go screw off and that it is rubbing their noses in it.

The Government pour money into the NHS like its going out of fashion, unfortunately when it actually gets to the NHS Trusts across the country, we seem to have an army of utter morons sorting out the budgets and juggling the money. If my particular NHS Trust was a business out in the community, then the Financial Director and the Chief Executive in charge wouldve been sacked for poor performance. Instead, they seem to get either pay rises or an assistant manager to assist them and another assistant assistant manager to assist the assistant ............ etc etc...... You get the jist.

NB: Our District Nursing service is also breaking down due to the fact that there are so many nurses leaving the Trust. They dont replace these nurses in order to save money, the district nurses that are left to carry the extra caseload are stressed to the point of being ill, so they go off sick, leaving the service being run on a skeleton staff and the people at home, who have been discharged early because of lack of beds, go without home visits and vital drugs/injections because there isnt enough staff to go round and hours in the day to their job.

Its a farce, an absolute farce and to be honest, I dread getting ill or old in this country now, as I know too much about the NHS to feel comfortable about getting the correct care Im entitled to.

Liking the cut of your jib.........[Image: aniburns.gif]
22-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Quote:If my particular NHS Trust was a business out in the community, then the Financial Director and the Chief Executive in charge wouldve been sacked for poor performance. Instead, they seem to get either pay rises or an assistant manager to assist them and another assistant assistant manager to assist the ............ etc etc...... You get the jist.

I couldn't agree more Pandora. Worryingly, it's not just the NHS - most Public Sector Organisations seem to be run by 'executives' who wouldn't cut it in the private sector. Then they buy-in consultants at vast expense.

I was astounded to hear a government spokesperson on the radio a week or so ago explaining that 'in order not to spend needlessly', they don't keep records of how much money the NHS is spending on 'change consultants'.

And when these 'dynamic change' consultancy roles are advertised, guess what? They want people with extensive Public Sector experience, so the whole thing is a self-fulfilling disaster. I know of one consultant who was paid £600 a day (with paid holidays and sickness benefits!) to carry out the vital task of installing an HR Information system for an NHS trust. The project had to be completed in 18 months, so he did it in 17.5 and copped an early completion bonus. That's equivalent to something like £150K per annum salary unidentifiable by central government.

It beggars belief.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
24-04-2006, 10:04 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2006 10:08 PM by Northern angel.)
Too many Overpaid Chiefs not enough Indians. What a mess up.
Too many administrators who don't know what they're doing.
Too many employment consultants and human resources officers, not good enough to work in the private sector.

If the situation isn't turned around soon it will be RIP NHS, which is such a shame for a service that started well and has completely lost its way in more recent times.

The MP's and in particular those who think they are in the know, should start listening to NHS nurses and long term employed DRs. The spin merchants and administrators and management teams need reducing to essential workers only.

I often hear from family members who are nurses how they messed around and expected to not do as much hands on nursing but more and more paperwork. My cousins wife has been doing her head at the idea that she is being sent on a computer course to enable the keeping of an online day diary. Also she is being sent away from her regular special needs post for one child's feed at the other end of Tyne and Wear around luchtime when she needs to do a medicine round. A gang of equally mobile nurses are studying there notes in the local hospital whilst someone else is meant to be in two places at once.

Crazy. Just heard tonight that there is a possibility of an NHS strike, as Patricia Hewit, has not reassured NHS nursng staff that there will be no more redundancies from essential staff.

The NHS is just not cutting it.

Time for a change of government, I think.

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
Find all posts by this user