Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Lottery
25-08-2005, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2005 03:23 PM by PJ.)
National Lottery

I read in the paper today that an Aberdeenshire grandmother of 35 kids, or something ridiculous like that, bought a scratchcard a wee while ago and scratched off the silver bit to reveal 2 firework symbols. Thinking she had lost, she threw it away.
Then a few weeks later, she bought another one of them and this time she read the rules on the back and realised that the two firework symbols on her last card would have won her £1million.
Now, she obviously doesn't have the card anymore but she claims that she can remember the unique 4 didgit security code on the scratchcard.
Camelot have refused to pay out the money to her cos she doesn't have the card but she is adamant that she has the security code and should be paid. Now she's campaigning and got a 400-signature petition and is going down to Camelot headquarters blah blah de blah....
So, should she be awarded the money?

Discuss!

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2005, 03:23 PM
National Lottery
Sounds to me like she's trying it on in the hopes they'll pay her something to go away!

I'd pay her nothing. She should have been more careful.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
25-08-2005, 03:30 PM
National Lottery
No I don't think she should be given anything.

I think that strikes me odd though is if she just threw the ticket away, how can she remember the unique 4 digit security code, surely it is not something you would take notice of, if you thought you had lost and were throwing the card away.
25-08-2005, 03:31 PM
National Lottery
I'm afraid I rather adhere to the old adage that the National Lottery is a tax on the stupid. Sorry. :ninja:

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
25-08-2005, 03:31 PM
National Lottery
I agree with Fee, rules are rules! Why on earth would she remember the 4 digit code, I have problems remembering my pin numbers for my cards.

She should have read the rules more closely and as much as it pains me to see Camelot win this one, they are quite right and should not pay out to her.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
25-08-2005, 03:42 PM
National Lottery
My first reaction was "silly moo - should have been more careful" but second thought was "yeah but if that were me" - lol.

I was suspicious of the security code but just say, for example, that she remembered the code because it happened to be her birthday or a pin number that she'd used or for whatever reason. Camelot must know whether that was a winning card or not.

I think if no one else claims it within the time limit they should give her the money (or some of it). Let's face it, with all those grandkids she needs every penny she can get :laugh:
25-08-2005, 05:53 PM
National Lottery
some people just beggar belief don't they! I bet one of her stock phrases is "life's not fair" .... it certainly will be now!

Should she be paid the money? She's 'avin' a laugh aint she!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
25-08-2005, 06:03 PM
National Lottery
Having discussed this with Mr. C and my son I now have more knowledge of how scratch cards work and apparently there is no time limit on them so the card could, in theory, turn up at any time.

Also, apparently, the One million isn't even guaranteed - it's only if no one else has won it in the meantime so, no, in that case it wouldn't be practical.
25-08-2005, 06:06 PM
National Lottery
Critique Wrote:Having discussed this with Mr. C and my son I now have more knowledge of how scratch cards work and apparently there is no time limit on them so the card could, in theory, turn up at any time.

Also, apparently, the One million isn't even guaranteed - it's only if no one else has won it in the meantime so, no, in that case it wouldn't be practical.

where does she live ... and where is her nearest refuse tip! come on if we all go up we'll find it sooner and then we spit the winnings! foolproof! any one fool enough!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
25-08-2005, 06:30 PM
National Lottery
Dolores Wrote:where does she live ... and where is her nearest refuse tip! come on if we all go up we'll find it sooner and then we spit the winnings! foolproof! any one fool enough!

Count me in :bag:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do you do the Lottery each week? Bella 34 2,280 30-08-2005 06:25 PM
Last Post: Dolores
  Should National Service be compulsary? Bella 19 1,246 27-08-2005 10:07 PM
Last Post: Patsy