Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nationwide debit card
05-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Nationwide debit card

I opened a Nationwide Flexaccount just before I went to France in July, the card was accepted everywhere except for one small municipal campsite. We got a very good exchange rate and it was so convenient. I don't like racking up my credit card bill so the debit card a good option as long as you put enough money in to cover your needs I did take a credit card as back up.

I used it again last week in France and have just got my statement showing some of the transactions and it shows an exchange rate of 1.472 whereas the day before we went I bought some euros from the post office and only got them at 1.41

The difference between the two on a bill of 38.40euros was £27.23 at the 1.4 rate £26.08 with Nationwide debit card.

Just thought I would pass this on for those of you that are going to Dublin or to other places using the euro.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2005, 06:43 PM
Nationwide debit card
Maz, we used this when we were in Majorca 4 years. Mr B does his ducking & diving with rates and monies to find out what is the best deal and he is constantly telling people about the Nationwide account. We bank with the Abbey but we do have a Nationwide account as that is where our rent money from the property that we let out goes into.

I might just put extra money in there for the Dublin trip though! Thanks for reminding me about it! :thumbsup:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Nationwide debit card
I have a Nationwide account that I use just for when I'm abroad.
Every time I have a bit of spare cash I put it in there, so that I always have a little pot of spending money.

I always just take a little bit of cash with me and get my money from an ATM as and when I need it.

Also....if you pay for any travel while your away with a Nationwide credit card you're insured in case anything goes wrong.
That was a big difference on your bill of 38.40E Maz!

Using Nationwide abroad can add up to a fair bit of money saved as opposed to using traveller cheques or change offices.

I also feel safer having my debit card rather than wads of cash or travellers cheques.

I caught a bit of a travel programme a while back and that said the best deal you got on holiday money was using a mixture of Nationwide debit and credit cards - can't remember which programme it was though....but that's what prompted me to open the account.
Find all posts by this user
06-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Nationwide debit card
I'm another one who uses the Nationwide card abroad - You can use them in cash machines in France - and they don't charge a fee!!

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
09-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Nationwide debit card
ooops - I have just changed my bank account from Nationwide.:blink:

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sending a card to Blink tonee 22 871 27-07-2005 01:26 PM
Last Post: Nox
  Credit Card fraud dab 15 1,183 23-03-2005 03:42 PM
Last Post: jaycee