Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neglegent Homicide in Nursing Home in N.O.
14-09-2005, 02:41 PM

A man and his wife, co-owners of a private nursing home in St. Bernard Parish, one of the harder hit areas of flooding in New Orleans have been charged with 34 counts of neglegent homicide and sit in jail currently. They had arrangements with a large ambulance service to evacuate the residents of the nursing home and did get some evacuated but left 34 at the nursing home to drown. No employees or nurses were with the patients at the the time they succumbed to the influx of water into the nursing home. It is near one of the levees that broke. The owners claim that they were not aware of a mandatory evacuation as of Saturday, but did move some patients as a pre-caution on their judgement to area hospitals. Then apparently everyone else left, medical staff, clerical staff, etc. Some families of patients stranded tried in vain to get to thier loved ones as they could. By that time most had succumbed to lack of medical attention or had drowned. This was on CNN, MSNBC, FOX NEWS, and local stations over here. I'm appalled and disgusted. I hope these people get the book thrown at them because unless they were under a rock, they knew it was a mandatory evacuation, the whole world knew!!! I am disgusted beyond belief!!!!!! :ranting:

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2005, 06:28 PM
The reports over here suggested that the local parish and family members offered to evacuate residents but the owners turned down all offers. And, as you know, a good number of vulnerable residents died alone - and we can only imagine in what conditions.To be honest, I too have little sympathy even though we dont know the full circumstances yet. Wait and see what emerges here.

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
21-09-2005, 09:48 AM
I heard that story too when i was abroad.People in Italy were talking about it
and naturally enough they were all disgusted.
It's really vile.
I have since heard that the owners will be prosecuted.
All stories of the tragedy are heartbreaking, but there is just something extra horrible about this story.
Poor old people.They must have been so frightened.What a way to go.
:-((

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
21-09-2005, 10:08 AM
This story disgusts me in the extreme. I have awful visions of that being my Mum and Dad, no escape, just knowing they are going to die. I hope they make this couple suffer - there is NO excuse for leaving those people there.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
21-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Yeah, still thinking about this, it takes something (I dont know what) to leave people to die who are vulnerable. I dont know if I would be brave enough to die with them but I sure hope I wouldnt leave them without a fight.

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Only one home under new rules Haydon_acc2 12 2,213 19-03-2008 11:15 PM
Last Post: Groucho
  SCUM !!! What will the Home Sec do? Slipper 11 1,739 24-03-2005 09:57 PM
Last Post: secrets