Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never again!
18-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Never again!

As you most of you know, I went to London to see a show on Saturday Night and although I had a great time, I would never go on an organised trip like that again!

It was arranged through work at a discount price, so my friends and I decided to go.

We were picked up at 9am by the coach to be taken to London, the driver seemed very pleasant but the tour guide was an complete and utter nightmare. If he told you something once he told you it a thousand times and by 10am, most of us had lost the will to live! Anyway we asked him to put the radio on, just so we didn't have to listen to him anymore and the presenter on the station he tuned in to, was even worse than he was, if that was at all possible! By this time we were just grateful to be dropped off for Lunch.

Anyway the arrangement was that we would all be dropped off at the London Eye to get some lunch before returning to the coach for an hours sight seeing whilst some of the others when on the London Eye. I have already been, there, done that, got the t-shirt and didn't like it much, so we were going to go on the sight seeing trip. In the end most of us decided to miss the sight seeing and return to the coach at the same time as the people who had been on the London Eye, as we couldn't bare to listen to him, go on and on and on.

The hotel we were staying in was located next to London City Airport so we had about a 50 minute drive to the hotel which left us 90 minutes to book in, shower and change before left for the West End so we could eat before the show! We then had another 50 minute drive back with the tour guide point out the same landmarks and giving us the same history as he did on the way to the hotel.....Again we were losing the will to live as we arrived in the West End! We then just had enough time for one course in the restaurant before going on to the theatre!

When we left the theatre we had another 50 minute drive back to the hotel (make that a 75 minute drive as the coach driver took a wrong turn - advised by the tour guide and promptly got lost) Again the tour guide pointed out the same landmarks as he had done twice early in the day :wacko:

We then had to be up for Breakfast for 8.30am and packed and ready to leave by 10am so we could be dropped off at Covent Garden for the morning. Of course the 50 minute journey took 90 minutes as it was the London Marathon that day, and yet again the tour guide pointed out the same landmarks and gave us the same history as he had done 3 times the day before and he even once told us to 'pay attention'! WTF! we were all gobsmacked as you can imagine! And if any mentions St Paul's Cathedral to me again I will scream.

The weekend then got better as we spend a lovely few hours wondering around Covent Garden and having a leisurely lunch before boarding the coach back to West Sussex. Luckily once we had left London the tour guide shut up and we had a peaceful journey back, listening to the FA Cup semi final on the radio that some one had.

I have decided never to go on a trip like this again, as I just can't stand having my time organised like that!

Have you ever been on a trip like that? and if so did you like it or are you like I was and said 'never again'!
Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Never again!
St Paul's Cathedral. :devil:

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Never again!
Seriously I really feel for you Ils. I hate being anywhere that things are so organised there no room for breath. If I go somewhere with friends I like to drive separately so I can leave if I want to etc. It sounds a nightmare.

How was the show though?

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
18-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Never again!
tigger767 Wrote:St Paul's Cathedral. :devil:

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH
18-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Never again!
OMG it sounds like hell on wheels!!!

Didn't the holiday company realise that the London Marathon was on and London would be a gridlock on Sunday??

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

18-04-2005, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2005 05:33 PM by Cockney.)
Never again!
I got cured of organised tours when I was on holiday in Zanty

The wife booked us on about five tours

First two where torture a boat trip to see some turtles where I got bit to fu*k by mosquitoes

but the worst one was number four I had a massive hangover this tour guide went on and on and kept saying if you fall asleep you miss all the best parts of the tour come on now sit-up a pay attention

I refused to go on the last one because some people had been on it the day before
it was 130 degrees in the shade and they had just spent four hours in an open boat

They where burnt to a cinder

[b][i]Life is not that long [Image: 36_1_12.gif]
[/b][/i]
Find all posts by this user
18-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Never again!
tigger767 Wrote:How was the show though?
#

It wasn't my cup of tea :sad:
18-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Never again!
ilovesurvivor Wrote:I have decided never to go on a trip like this again, as I just can't stand having my time organised like that!

I know what you mean....as to me vacations mean a break from a routine. My family has done both organized and non-organized trips...and the non-organized ones have always been so much more fun....just find random things to do and don't feel like you are being rushed everywhere.
18-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Never again!
We once went on a nightmare coach trip to Bordeaux. It took about 10 hours and we only stopped once for a 20 min comfort break. There was a small toilet on the coach but with about 40 passengers it soon became blocked and stank. We had two drivers on board but only one drove all the way which I'm sure must have been illegal and I worried about how tired he must have been getting. Then just outside Bordeaux the driver asked us if anyone knew the way in as he hadn't been there before. We were dreading the return journey but thankfully it was a bigger coach with much better facilities and a friendly driver who knew where he was going.
Find all posts by this user
18-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Never again!
What show was it ILS? Poor you, I know Mr B's mum does a lot of these coach trips to Europe and everytime she does one, she complains but it doesn't stop her getting right back on the bus/ferry to do it all again!!!

As Flip says you would have thought the travel company would have known it was London Marathon!

I know what you mean about the tour guide, but I am starting to feel a bit sorry for, poor guy he obviously doesn't have very much else going on in his life! :laugh:

And with the restaurant mix-up, your weekend ended up being the weekend from H*ll!

Put it all down to experience and as you have mentioned Never Do It Again!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT