Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Year. Something to look forward to?
29-11-2008, 05:19 PM

For me, a new year symbolises hope. A fresh start, new beginnings etc. The fact that my birthday is in early January probably deepens the sense. This is obviously the case for many others, hence the whole "New Year resolution" thing. It's also a time when I feel I can "put a bad year behind me" or hope for more of the same if I've had a good year. I know it's illogical - almost superstitious - and to all extents and purposes the 1st January is really no different from the 31st December. On the 1st January 2009 the starving Africans will continue to starve. The British economy will still be in a state of decline. I will still need a new car and be unable to afford it.

However, I will freely admit to a sense of expectation at the start of a New Year, but I often feel in the minority when I admit this. Most people I know (Mr H included) claim that to them, the 1st January is just another date and it symbolises nothing whatsoever. So they say. However, most people I know will go on a detox "in the New Year" and will start their new health routine "in the new year". They will feel invigorated enough to pursue a new career plan or start a new hobby/educational pursuit "in the new year". Yet to me, if the New Year was really just another date to them, they wouldn't defer.

So how do you feel? Is the New Year genuinely just another date to you, or do you feel that it is a time of new beginnings, despite the fact that basically it is illogical to feel that way?

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2008, 09:08 PM
I hate New Year. All that enforced jollity over being another year closer to the coffin.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
30-11-2008, 12:28 AM
I hate, hate, HATE Christmas - a nation's greed, stupidity and hypocrisy reach record levels every year (people queue up in a supermarket with trolleys full of food they couldn't possibly eat - all for ONE DAY - whilst "Feed the World" plays in the background), but I actually quite like New Year.

I'm going to Gran Canaria for it this year, which should be a bit different. Certainly no walking the freezing streets at 3am looking for a taxi anyway (our hotel is 5 minutes from the clubs - score!)

But yeah, I think it can be a time where you can think ahead; "Ok, THIS year I'm going to.." and of course never do any of it. But if there ever is a time to get deep and meaningful about what you're going to do with your life - well, there really isn't a better time.

Don't abuse children, or else they'll turn out like me.
http://www.thecurmudgeon.proboards88.com - The site to save your life.
30-11-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm with Fee and the Curmoid on this one.

Christmas: a frenzied greed-fest of tat, shat and splat.

New Year: More enforced jollity, singing, dancing. For what?

If you want to know the best time to celebrate, surely it is spring?

I love it when everything starts turning green, it's a time of re-birth. The sun shines a little more, everything starts shagging (the sparrows are so promiscuous - massive swinger parties in the hedge) and you can start to think of the summer.
30-11-2008, 12:02 PM
karenh Wrote:However, most people I know will go on a detox "in the New Year" and will start their new health routine "in the new year".

not surprising though as so many people binge out in december

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
30-11-2008, 04:56 PM
I used to hate new years eve - always thought I should be somewhere else where everyone is having REEEEl fun while I did my best to pretend - but for the last two years I have been gigging on both NYE and Christmas eve. Initially I thought I'd resent it, but it's been great fun being on stage watching peeps getting slaughtered and dancing and singing along so this year I'm looking forward to doing it again.

And the drink is free for the band. Which is nice when you're as enthusiastic a celebrator as moi.

January is spent under the duvet except for brief as possible sojourns to work, the offlicence and the coalmerchant.

bam bam
30-11-2008, 06:09 PM
I haven't been a fan of new year for ... well years!

I used to live in Germany from 17 - 20 years old and we had fabulous new year's eves. The whole family and friends would go down one of the service messes and get absolutely hammered ... plus we'd get UK new year and German new year.

Since I came back to teh UK I've never found New year to be all that it promises to be. Once I went to Trafalgar Square - well if you live in London it's got to be done - but NEVER EVER AGAIN!!

i haven't been out for new eyar for years - mainly cos it's a ****** trying to get a babysitter and mostly it would have consisted in going down the local pub, paying a tenner to get in and waiting half an hour to be served!

I was actually invited to a New Year party last year in a house but decided not to go cos I couldn't be fagged getting home afterwards! My son was invited too and he's old enough to take along now without him being a "burden" for me to look after. In a way I hope I get an invite this year so that I can go out - cos I do love a good knees up and a few bevvies!

Another I can never get my head around is people who write off a whole year as being "good" or "bad" - surely even if a loved one dies something good also happened? Life's just not that black and white.

As for Christmas - love it, love it, love it! Even the falseness of being nice to people u wouldn't normally pee on if they were on fire! Although as my son as got older (he's nearly 15 now) the shine has gone off a bit. It's a shame they ahve to grow up sometimes!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
30-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Not a big fan of christmas or new year, it just represents time off work to me so that part is good. My grandchildren are grown up now and don't get very excited, I am just giving them money this year so not many presents to buy. I feel a bit bah humbug but don't even care about that.
30-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm feeling a little bah humbug this year too.

I've never been a great fan of New Year, so I don't tend to do anything but I use to love Christmas when the kids were young. Now they are grown it is just really another day, this year even more so as my daughter is on the other side of the world :cry:

[SIZE="3"]ils - Member of SO since August 2001![/SIZE]
30-11-2008, 11:31 PM
I am not a fan of Xmas with all its enforced/expected jollity and moneywasting, but there's something about hearing Big Ben strike in the new year that gets me all emotional. I do tend to take time then to think of those no longer here, take stock of the past year and hope the new one is good. I think its more nurture than nature tho!
Actually being of the Pagan persuasion, the Winter Solstice is of more importance to me as it seems like the biggest turning point.

M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Another year, another resolution doodah 12 4,502 24-03-2011 07:24 AM
Last Post: jannypan
  Remember and put your clocks forward tonight PJ 8 1,328 25-03-2007 08:06 PM
Last Post: Fee For All
  Happy New Year Rob 15 2,100 09-01-2007 02:21 PM
Last Post: Bob
  New Year's Eve - what are you doing? Dolores 47 3,992 02-01-2007 07:01 PM
Last Post: Figaro
  Bringing in the New Year with a BANG! PJ 20 2,054 07-01-2006 04:02 PM
Last Post: PJ
  HAPPY NEW YEAR! Read after midnight! Coastie 25 2,273 05-01-2006 05:30 PM
Last Post: Haydon_acc2
  On line New Year's Eve Party..... Dolores 47 3,243 05-01-2006 08:59 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  What's Your New Year's Resolution? Patsy 21 2,042 02-01-2006 06:57 PM
Last Post: Hazel
  New Year's Honours maxine 14 1,719 31-12-2005 10:22 PM
Last Post: msgirl
  Geez there are so many carol singers around this year! bridge 16 1,750 30-12-2005 11:12 AM
Last Post: Bonsai