Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No opt-out' for Church adoption
25-01-2007, 10:43 AM

The Equality Act, due to come into effect in England, Wales and Scotland in April, outlaws discrimination in the provision of goods, facilities and services on the basis of sexual orientation.

It looks very much like the church request to opt out of this act with regards to their agencies refusing to assist gay couples in child adoption will not happen

Is it right that gay couples are allowed to adopt children? I know the law will allow it, however I believe the gift of childbirth should be seen as the result of a loving relation between a man woman, as nature intended. Not a provision of goods, facilities or services.

A lot has been discussed about the welfare of the child, but what are the social effects of a child growing up with same sex parents?

Are the church believes being suppressed by an over PC government?

Or am becoming a grumpy old man?

♪♪♪♪ If there´s a bustle in your hedgerow don’t be alarmed now. It´s just a spring clean for the May-Queen. Yes there two paths you can go by. But in the long run. There´s still time to change the road you´re on ♪♪♪♪ Smile :applause: ♪
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Oooh, Taffy I am going to have to call you a grumpy old man!! :w00t:

I believe that if a child is in a loving relationship regardless of sexual orientation, then where is the harm.

We live in a world now where gay couples are widely accepted, they can have civil marriages now and they are human beings.

Look at the amount of children who have grown up in the "proper" way with a mum & dad.............I am thinking Lizze Beardsley and the likes...........what have they given their children apart from asthma!

The Bible was written hundreds of years ago and times have changed, we have moved on and the Catholic Church needs to accept this. It stinks of hypocrisy though when you think of the amount of altar boys that have had their lives ruined because of some Catholic priests. And while we are on that subject I do think it is time that the Catholic Church accepted that men have needs and it is not a sin for them to have it off now & again.............but not with altar boys!

Not all children are born from loving relationships though, look at the amount of teenage pregnancies. To be honest I have a bigger issue with that than gay couples wanting to adopt.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
25-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Yes, a child needs a loving couple as parents and it shouldn't matter what sex they are, but can you honestly say that if your parents were a gay couple, you wouldn't have had any hang-ups? Teasing at school, knowing looks and comments everywhere you go, even to the extent of hate crimes against you and your family. It's sad, but this is what would/will happen. Is this really the best environment to bring up a child?
Find all posts by this user
25-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Patsy Wrote:Yes, a child needs a loving couple as parents and it shouldn't matter what sex they are, but can you honestly say that if your parents were a gay couple, you wouldn't have had any hang-ups? Teasing at school, knowing looks and comments everywhere you go, even to the extent of hate crimes against you and your family. It's sad, but this is what would/will happen. Is this really the best environment to bring up a child?

But........doesn't that say more about the people who are doing the teasing and giving knowing looks?

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
25-01-2007, 08:42 PM
I think that in light of their own beliefs the Catholic church and other church organisations who deal with adoption should be allowed to stand by those beliefs and not have to assist gay couples in the act of adoption. There are other agencies they can go to.

All to often in this day and age the church is being asked to water down it's beliefs to the point where they can/could be made to look hypocrytical because the PC brigade can't accept that not everyone has the same liberal beliefs as they do.

Having spent a couple of months with a gay couple I understand that there can be a truely loving relationship between two same sex people. That said I feel that since natures way of reproducing is through boy girl relationships I wonder how growing up in a gay household would affect the personal development of the child. Would they be allowed to choose their own sexual orientation or would they feel obligued or pressured into thinking they should honor their parents by living a gay life themselves...this is I feel could be a bigger issue during those difficult teenage years.

As for growing up in a society where the unusual is still seen as something to fear, mock, scorn then I am concerned that a child growing up with gay parents may feel isolated through early life and find social skills beyond that of the family home and family friends awkward.

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
26-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I agree with Taffy and Coastie on this one.

I'm not sure that same-sex parents is the right kind of model for a child, unless you want to give the child a good chance of growing up homosexual.

I don't think this is an appropriate case for the use of equal opportunity laws.

Just because same sex couples can enjoy the legal status of partership it does not automatically follow that they should be entitled to everything that married couples have. Nor does disallowing certain things like adoption amount to discrimination (used as a pejorative to imply unfairness).

The Catholic Church only places a relatively small number of adopted children, and most of those are particularly difficult cases, where gay foster parents are likely to prove inappropriate. Despite this they have a high success rate, I think they should be left alone and be exempt from the law.

THis is very much a case where the blanket application of a law, no matter how well intended, is not the right thing to do.

Can I also add for the record that I don't support lesbian couples using artificial insemination to have a baby.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
26-01-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm with Taffy, Coastie and SF on this one also. There isn't anything I can really add. I may add more later just don't have time right now.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
26-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Bella Wrote:But........doesn't that say more about the people who are doing the teasing and giving knowing looks?

Yes, but it's what undoubtedly what would happen. I could never condone deliberately bringing a child into a "dysfunctional" family and, imo, a same-sex couple having a child would be dysfunctional.
26-01-2007, 03:56 PM
This is an issue I feel very strongly about, and in no way do I think children should be offered for adoption to a gay couple. In the ideal world where no children need adopting, there is no way a gay couple could conceive a child, they forgo that right.

I am not of the RC church, but to me it's a moral issue, and one that thinks of the best for a child, I have seem them, in that situation, and the hell they have had to put up with by classmates...at just 6 years old!!

No, No, No....never!!! Children need a Mum and Dad, if they are being adopted they have probably already been through a deal of trauma and just need normality!
26-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Quote:No, No, No....never!!! Children need a Mum and Dad, if they are being adopted they have probably already been through a deal of trauma and just need normality!
Agree with all those that object, but this comment sums it up for me.

Children need a Mum and Dad, and if it can't be their own natural ones for whatever reason then the next best is adoption by another hetro couple.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Charlotte Church Pregnant Pandora 9 1,521 04-03-2007 09:48 AM
Last Post: survivorfan