Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not so good news....
12-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Not so good news....

Easy come, easy go as they say......

In the last couple of weeks, me and MrH have been hit by a series of domestic catastrophes.

Firstly, Mr H's car finally died. It was an old car (10 years) and it's been playing up for a while, but now it's completely conked out. Apparently, the big end (whatever that is) collapsed and it would cost more to repair it than the car is worth. Mr H needs a car for his commute to work - he can't commute on public transport as there is no reasonable infrastructure to support the journey - so a new car has had to be purchased at a cost of £6k.

Secondly, the new car has a problem. It wasn't actually a "new" car - it's a secondhand car which is merely new to us - and it's in "limp" mode. I have no idea what that means, but it apparently needs to be repaired at a cost of £900.

Finally, we found out today that we need a new boiler. Desperately. The current boiler was only installed about 4 years ago and it replaced a really decent, but very old boiler that died. Unfortunately, I let MrH organise the replacement of the old boiler and he decided that it made good economic sense to get a mate to install the new boiler, rather than get a proper Corgi registered plumber to do the work. Mr H bought the replacement boiler from B&Q and Joe the cowboy mate installed it. Well, it never worked as well as the previous boiler and I have moaned about it's performance every winter since it was installed (poor Mr H!).

Well, the b'stard boiler is finally f.cked. In the last few weeks it's performance has decreased slowly from moderate to barely functional. It's leaking. The radiators never get above lukewarm. The shower is scarey - this morning, I got under a shower that was initially a nice temperature, but which would fluctuate between freezing cold and scalding hot in the blink of an eye. The deterioration to this stage has been a slow decline, but we've buried our head in the sand for months. Boiler replacement is bluddy expensive and we were hoping that it might just sort itself out. However, it hasn't, and now it can't be ignored.

Today we arranged for a plumber to come and look at it. Its irrepairable and we need a new boiler. At a cost of nearly £2,000. This time, we are getting a decent boiler and it will be installed by a Corgi registered plumber so we can insure it and/or get a service care contract.

But, it's not all bad. If this had happend a month ago we'd be f.cked, but thankfully Mr H had his windfall (see "Good news" thread). Unfortuantely, I'd had all sorts of plans for that windfall. A great Christmas, put some aside for a rainy day, a holiday for our 10th anniversary next year. I was thinking Canada or maybe Africa....Well, c'est la vie. At least the money is there when we most need it.

Ah well, easy come, easy go....

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Not so good news....
Sorry to hear all this Karen, what horrible timing for everything to go kaput at the same time!

Oh well, at least the money came at the right time. You won't get much, but at least with all this you won't lose anything either!

Why does everything happen at the same time?

Do you want that tenner back?

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
12-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Not so good news....
Mars Wrote:Sorry to hear all this Karen, what horrible timing for everything to go kaput at the same time!

Awww, thanks Mars. I was absolutely hoping for tea and sympathy, and you came right up with the goods. You're a decent bloke.

Mars Wrote:Oh well, at least the money came at the right time. You won't get much, but at least with all this you won't lose anything either!

Too right. And we've still got around £1,100 for the rainy day fund. I'll just have to put the extravagant anniversary plans on hold. Maybe we'll splash out on our 15th or 20th anniversay instead. Like you say, at least the money was there. I honestly don't know how we'd have managed without the windfall. It would have been a disaster so I shouldn't really be whinging at all. It's just that I had much nicer plans for that money that had nothing to do with car repairs and boiler replacement......

12-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Not so good news....
oh dear Karen - still it is good that you had the £10K to cover it all.

Are you going to get a second opinion on your boiler? I'd recommend it. In my previous flat I was told by a qualified person that I would need a new boiler at an extortionate cost - I was ready to agree as we'd been without hot water and heating for about two weeks (it was the middle of a very cold winter and my son was a baby). But my dad suggested getting someone else to have a look at it and for £26 he fixed it and I never had any more problems with it. It's worth thinking about.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
12-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Not so good news....
Dolores Wrote:oh dear Karen - still it is good that you had the £10K to cover it all.

Are you going to get a second opinion on your boiler? I'd recommend it. In my previous flat I was told by a qualified person that I would need a new boiler at an extortionate cost - I was ready to agree as we'd been without hot water and heating for about two weeks (it was the middle of a very cold winter and my son was a baby). But my dad suggested getting someone else to have a look at it and for £26 he fixed it and I never had any more problems with it. It's worth thinking about.

Bluddy heck Dol. That's a heck of a difference! :ohmy: It's definitely worth getting at least one other opinion, I agree.

We've actually had three opinons. Mr H's first instinct was to call Joe (his crappy non-corgi registered plumber mate) who said that it needed replacement. I didn't trust Joe not to to rip us off and/or do a rubbish job so I got a local plumber from the Corgi members website to evaluate it. He said the same thing, but quoted £2,500 to do the work and couldn't do the replacement until 22nd December. Finally Mr H found another Corgi register plumber who would do the replacement for £2,000 and can do it tomorrow. We did find another plumber who would do the replacement for £1,900 but he wasn't availabel until January.

On the advice of 3 separate plumbers, our boiler definitely need replacing. And it's a no-brainer as to who will do it. We're going with the guy who will do it tomorrow. I'm bluddy freezing. I'm typing this post with my coat, scarf and gloves on and a hot water bottle on my lap. My nose and ears are numb.

Plus, I have my sister coming over in 10 days time from Singapore with her 2 year old son. They're used to 32 degree temps. There's no way they could cope with this temperature, so it's got to be fixed before they get here.

Joe is a b'stard.

13-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Not so good news....
When our heating broke down around this time last year, maybe the year before, we just bought a load of fan heaters from Tesco for next to nothing...

They may be expensive to run, but its' only a few days and they warmed the house up faster than the heating ever does. Better than sitting there freezing even if only for a few one day :cold:

Space reserved for interesting fact.
13-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Not so good news....
karenh Wrote:Mr H had his windfall (see "Good news" thread). Unfortuantely, I'd had all sorts of plans for that windfall. A great Christmas, put some aside for a rainy day, a holiday for our 10th anniversary next year. I was thinking Canada or maybe Africa...

Nice to see he's got someone to tell him how he's going to spend it!

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
13-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Not so good news....
Gneiss Wrote:When our heating broke down around this time last year, maybe the year before, we just bought a load of fan heaters from Tesco for next to nothing...

They may be expensive to run, but its' only a few days and they warmed the house up faster than the heating ever does. Better than sitting there freezing even if only for a few one day :cold:

Yeah I agree, and we probably would have done something along those lines had the situation gone on for much longer.

But what about the shower.......

13-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Not so good news....
survivorfan Wrote:Nice to see he's got someone to tell him how he's going to spend it!

Well to be fair, easing the burden of Christmas and spending some on a 10th anniversary trip was something Mr H suggested. From there, I just let my imagination take me where it would, and it took me to Canada and Africa in the main.....

But honestly SF, it's easy to judge when you don't know the half of it.

13-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Not so good news....
That's true. It's great, though, that the win came just when you needed it.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good news! karenh 12 2,755 09-01-2009 08:41 PM
Last Post: Spooky
  News from the Asylum... Haydon_acc2 4 993 03-08-2007 04:05 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  The Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Thread Critique 84 6,563 23-06-2007 05:54 AM
  Quick question for you good people.... Figaro 24 2,912 15-01-2007 04:12 PM
Last Post: Patsy
  Good Morning Sunshines... msgirl 2 689 01-11-2006 02:14 PM
  Cooking when drunk .... is it EVER a good idea?! Dolores 3 741 20-10-2006 10:16 AM
Last Post: Critique
  SO News people - volunteers wanted Haydon_acc2 19 1,842 13-09-2006 10:53 PM
Last Post: Haydon_acc2
  Are women any good at men's sports? Northern angel 29 2,566 03-05-2006 06:37 PM
Last Post: Northern angel
  when good threads go bad... Dolores 104 5,093 09-03-2006 03:27 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  My News! ils 32 2,490 07-03-2006 04:02 PM
Last Post: Seabreeze