Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nurse suspended for prayer offer
02-02-2009, 06:34 PM

Would you report a nurse if they offered to pray for you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7863699.stm

perhaps more to the point - would you suspend a nurse for offering to pray for a patient??

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Yes.

Completely unprofessional behaviour. And apparently she'd already had a warning about it.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
03-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Well no, I wouldn't personally. I wouldn't suspend a nurse for any reason apart from negligence, abuse or dereliction of duty.

I'd agree that it's naive to offer prayer to patients in our multi-cultural and largely secular society, but unless the offer was intended to offend (and I imagine it was intended to offer solace, however misguided), I don't see how the offer per se prevents her from doing her job well. A patient is always free to refuse such an offer.

To me, this suspension is unnecessarily uptight. It harks a bit of what nursing was like in the First World War era, where Nurses were expected to be efficient, emotionless and impersonal. Back then, a Nurse would be disciplined for revealing her christian name to a patient. Nowdays that seems antiquated and neurotic and nurses are encouraged to develop a rapport with patients. But only to a point it would seem.....

In an age where the nursing profession is struggling to keep nurses in the NHS, a suspension for anything other than that which prevents good nursing seems crazy to me.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2009, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2009 10:17 PM by Fee For All.)
I think the point here is that this is not so much about her faith, but about her employers' disciplinary code, and the onerous obligations imposed on the NHS to comply with equality legislation.

She was given a warning last October about being overly vigorous in promoting her faith, and told

Quote:"As a nurse you are required to uphold the reputation of your profession. "Your NMC (Nursing Midwifery Council) code states that 'you must demonstrate a personal and professional commitment to equality and diversity' and 'you must not use your professional status to promote causes that are not related to health'."
I would guess that she was given a formal disciplinary warning- which she would be entitled to appeal against. It seems she's chosen to ignore this. It's also unusual for formal action to be taken for a first offence, so there may well have been earlier conversations with her.
Quote:Speaking on Sunday, Ms Petrie said: "I'll keep fighting whatever happens and take them to court if I need to. I don't think I've done anything wrong. I was just trying to let a patient know that I was thinking of them. It's just my way of saying get well soon,"

It's similar to the case about the christian registrar who refused to carry out gay marriages - the outcome of that was that the appeal court found in favour of the employer because their actions were not discriminatory but were about upholding the contract of employment.

Reading between the lines, I'd say that they've probably had issues with her in the past and have had their fill of her. Under these circumstances a precautionary suspension while a full investigation is undertaken is normal.

As karen says, getting rid of qualified nurses is crazy, so they must have good reasons.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  suspended junk mail postie reinstated survivorfan 9 1,137 27-09-2006 12:46 AM
Last Post: Northern angel