Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd things on the Intertron
02-09-2006, 11:01 PM

Ever seen an odd story, article or whatnot on t'internet? Post it here.

This one caught my eye...

Why do you sometimes shiver when you wee?
Shiver wee? This is not to be confused with chivalry (the valorous qualities of a knight or gentleman) or a shivaree (a noisy mock serenade by friends of a newly wed couple).

This is a surprisingly commonly-asked Odd Body Question (OBQ), and no research has been done on this topic.

Low room temperature as covered parts of the body are exposed could be an obvious cause. More seriously, the shivering is an example of the human body's autonomic nervous system (ANS) at work.

We are not conscious of the ANS. It runs on automatic, hence its name, "autonomic", which literally means "self controlling, working independently". The urination reflex is relayed through the ANS. The reflex is directly related in strength to the amount of stretch of the bladder. Thus, the degree of shivering is generally related to how full the bladder is at the time of urination.

The ANS has two divisions. One is the parasympathetic nervous system (PNS) and the other is the sympathetic nervous system (SNS).
The SNS tends to keep the bladder relaxed and the urethral sphincter contracted. This is why one does not have an "accident" while one is concentrating on something else. It is true to say that the more "desperate" one becomes in response to a bulging bladder, the more the SNS acts to keep you dry.

The SNS response includes the release by the brain of chemicals doadrenal medulla catacholamines epinephrine, norepinephrine, and dopamine to bring about the necessary body reactions. When the opportunity arises to allow the parasympathetic side of the ANS to take over, the change in catacholamine production probably causes of the shivering.

Laboratory experiments which have not been undertaken would prove this beyond doubt.

In any case, at the moment of urination, there is a slight blood pressure rise and a momentary flushing or euphoria shortly after relaxing the urethral sphincter. Some find this feeling pleasurable. At such moments, some people say "ah". This same response in its most extreme forms causes fainting. All of this is the ANS doing its job.

:blink:

"While in my head time is collapsing and the currents run cold"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Where's Groucho when you need a witty retort Big Grin
02-09-2006, 11:43 PM
I now need to go pee!

[Image: 429.gif]
03-09-2006, 01:55 AM
What a brilliant post.

I really enjoyed this bit
Quote:The SNS response includes the release by the brain of chemicals doadrenal medulla catacholamines epinephrine, norepinephrine, and dopamine to bring about the necessary body reactions.

H - rename and pin this - call it OBQ's

My OBQ is why does lager, cider or guiness make you wanna pee more than bitter
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Running on from Slip...

...and why is it that on a night out after you've had your first pee ...(you've broken the seal)...you have to go after every drink thereafter?

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
03-09-2006, 09:53 PM
***msgirl silently runs for another thread and sees if there are more 'intriguing' threads:unsure: ***

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
03-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Damn, that's impessive!

Click for the video

"While in my head time is collapsing and the currents run cold"
04-09-2006, 05:35 AM
I tell ya those people amaze me...I mean one slip and ya dead:wacko: Amazing..and ever so slightly bonkers! :applause:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
04-09-2006, 06:56 AM
i had to stop watching - it was breathtaking but it just gave me the collywobbles!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
04-09-2006, 04:51 PM
HushTheVoices Wrote:Damn, that's impessive!

Click for the video

HTV

did you see these two?

These exercises might help

http://www.vwho.net/player.php?VE_Path=s...vwjeoahSUX

This is a bit disturbing

http://www.vwho.net/player.php?VE_Path=s...HtspkgbwxS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fox problems and other things... PJ 8 1,273 04-07-2007 07:13 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  Things that make you go GRRRR! Coastie 32 2,567 16-06-2007 08:47 PM
Last Post: Fee For All
  Things that worry you.... Groucho 29 2,564 10-06-2007 12:42 PM
Last Post: msgirl
  Things I couldn't care LESS about!! Dolores 42 3,513 09-06-2007 11:11 AM
  Things that make blokes proud of themselves... Seabreeze 2 781 25-04-2007 09:31 AM
Last Post: survivorfan
  Life Insurance and other morbid things ... Bonsai 23 2,499 27-02-2007 04:11 PM
  Things it pained you to throw away Seabreeze 11 1,323 10-11-2006 02:09 AM
  Stupid things you've bought PJ 39 2,457 16-09-2006 05:19 AM
  Small things amuse small minds... Woodstock 8 1,060 23-06-2006 04:19 PM
Last Post: Patsy
  Stupid things you do ... Critique 45 2,649 08-05-2006 01:17 PM