Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oi, Blinky (or anyone else)
10-05-2005, 01:56 PM

Any idea how I can get into a word document that's got a password on it?

A supply teacher wrote a load of reports for his maths class, but has now swanned off to another job, leaving the reports on the server with a password protecting the document so we can't get in. Parents evening is on Thursday night.

No idea why he bothered putting a feckin password on them in the first place, but there you go...

We're running Word 2003 on XP.

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Did you just "Oi" me?!

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2005, 02:36 PM
All right then, rude girl.

It can be done, but it's not easy. There are several people out there who will crack the password for you, for a fee. There are also several Word password crackers out there, but you need to go to some dodgy sites (at your own risk!) to get them.

Just for you, here's a link that I don't usually give out: >Astalavista<. That link will take you straight to the results of a search for "microsoft word password cracker".

Beware, this site and sites it links to will almost certainly attempt to load dodgy programs onto your PC. Only proceed with firewall up, virus checker fully updated, and pop-up blocker installed. You have been warned.

(Or you could just get the plonker's phone number.)

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
10-05-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm quite scared! In fact I'm so scared I'm going to use someone elses PC :pimp:

Thank you oh mighty one, I'm going in..............................................

Bollox to potplants
10-05-2005, 02:47 PM
The site you have chosen has been categorised as: Criminal Skill Site

Your administrator has chosen to block this category.

:w00t: :shocking: :bag:

Foiled again.

Bollox to potplants
10-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Yeah, there is no legitimate way to open a password protected Word doc. Password crackers are very, very, very slow as well....they could literally run for weeks!

I think getting the bloke's phone number would be easier. Big Grin
10-05-2005, 03:27 PM
I do possess a Word 97/2000 password cracker, but I don't think I've ever used it. In the manual it suggests that a typical run could take 70 days. Guessing the password or rewriting the file is usually quicker. Smile

Of course cracking the password of a document you own is perfectly legitimate, Ceri. Tongue

10-05-2005, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2005 05:22 PM by survivorfan.)
Would this stuff be any good?

this stuff here

(edit to add - having now properly read the rest of this thread I guess it's no different from what has already been suggested).

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]