Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One for Blink or a recording buff
15-07-2006, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2006 08:02 AM by survivorfan.)

I want to make my own recording of classic 50's /60's singles from the radio.

My radio source is the Freeview radio channels.

I want to create a disc that will play on my Hi-fi's CD player.

I plan to record using my DVD recorder.

WIll a DVD made that way play on my CD player?

I guess, if not, this could be a new use for the multipurpose DVD unit that we discussed in my DVD burning thread - if so that will spur me on to actually getting one.

My DVD recorder will record in a number of recording quality modes, do you tyink it's important to have it set for the highest qua;lity, or, for sound only, could I get away with a lower setting - maybe even the 8 hour extended mode?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2006, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2006 09:39 AM by Northern angel.)
Hello Survivorfan,

Ooh making recordings a subject close to my heart. I'll have to be careful that I don't put to much of me online here, so I hope those who don't like this, will forgive this post.

A local studio may be able to help you achieve a quality recording of you and your 50's / 60's song. Some will have a high sound resolution Karoake system booth which can be recorded onto the medium of your choice. It is not expensive to do this unless you want a large number of DVD discs.

If the disc is for your own personal use and not for sale, but gifts say to family and one or two friends, a friendly recording engineer may even run you an illegal copy up of you with the original track but will just eliminate as much of the original singer as possible. Otherwise a good quality karoake disc suffices, where there is a 50% change in the instrumentation fitting in with current legislation.

If you want to do this directly from the radio the recording quality will be poor.

Some DVD and GCD discs can do damage to a normal hi-fi, hence the above is the best solution.

If you must do this the technology section of Yahoo answers is good with this area of information. You register type your question and a week later you have x number of answers.

Good luck.

Maureen
Northern angel

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
15-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Maureen - jjust to clarify - I'm not going to be performing! I want to record off Freeview radio.

15-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Oops... Survivorfan,

I've made a boo boo.

Haydon asked a similar question some time ago.

I think and I must admit I am not certain, that you should be able to download to your computer hard disc and then save under a mymusic file and than transfer it to a seperate DVD/CD disc in your pc drive. You may need some kind of transformer device to get decent quality of sound. You may also need to look at a license.

Blink did log in yesterday, and if you are lucky he may log in today. If not Haydon may be able to help.

Ooh and I was so looking forward to read of your recordings.

Good luck.

Maureen
Northern angel.Blush

15-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Northern angel Wrote:Some DVD and GCD discs can do damage to a normal hi-fi, Maureen
Northern angel

Mo-mo, what kind of damage would occur if I put a DVD in a CD player?

16-07-2006, 01:32 AM
I play my cds in my dvd player all the time for the suround sound effect...I wouldn't put a dvd in cd player...:unsure:

I'll be leaving now that I've added my 2 pence...:shutup:

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
17-07-2006, 12:16 AM
survivorfan Wrote:Mo-mo, what kind of damage would occur if I put a DVD in a CD player?

Hello Survivorfan,

If manufacturers instructions and warranties mean anything, I have just read my Hi-fi and CD player instruction booklets.

Both tell me that they are unsuitable for enhanced CD's to be played through and that there is a risk to the digital mechanism of damage being caused as a result. The CD player specifies that audio discs only should be played.

One or two of my CDG's and DVD's and enhanced music discs also state that they may be unsuitable to players with audio specifications only.

Irrespective of this I am guilty of having played my classically enhanced CDG's through my hi-fi and personal CD player and the only thing I have observed is that where a normal CD is programmable into memory i,e to play the said order of tracks. 10,3, 1,8, 6 etc. This function does not work with an enhanced CDG.

I have not risked a DVD and don't intend to. You can accidently erase a DVD of its images apparently by playing it through the wrong medium.

Maureen
Northern angel.

17-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Northern angel Wrote:I think and I must admit I am not certain, that you should be able to download to your computer hard disc and then save under a mymusic file and than transfer it to a seperate DVD/CD disc in your pc drive. You may need some kind of transformer device to get decent quality of sound. You may also need to look at a license.

Maureen
Northern angel.Blush

The clue was in the thread title....

Blink or a recording buff

SF... As you are using a digital medium (Freeview) you should be able to record direct onto DvD but not knowing the recorder and play back machines you are going to use it's difficult for someone to comment.

I'm not claiming to be a 'Buff' but just as a suggestion, try and find out whether the broadcaster is going to do a podcast or keep on-line for streaming (the Beeb often do this) as tou can then download to PC and it'll be far easier from there. Google doesn't offer much advice as I'm sure you are aware but a RDVD site may have some assistance?!?
17-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks Slipper. I am just in the process of posting my question on an AV/DVD forum, let's see what useful snippets that will bring.

I'll check your suggestion of internet streaming to see what kind of music is available that way - it sounds like a very good idea.

My problem is that I can only record off Freeview onto DVD (not CD) and I can only play back on my hi-fi from CD.

17-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Good luck Survivorfan. I hope you have some joy soon.:thumbsup:

Maureen
Northern angel.

Possibly Related Threads...