Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Debate .What would you like to see as a way of developing talent?
27-09-2005, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2005 05:29 PM by Northern angel.)

Hello survivors,

I have always thought that the first way of developing talent or individual gifts is through education. By this I don't mean private education. But some form of external educational programme that could be entered either before school leaving age or as a mature adult.

I have also thought that in relation to music ,for those who have a proven leaning in a musical genre (genre being type;- i,e musical theatre, jazz) that this should be sponsored by local government and education Departments. What do you feel is an appropriate means of development and measure of success? :smartie:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Northern angel Wrote:Hello survivors,

I have always thought that the first way of developing talent or individual gifts is through education. By this I don't mean private education. But some form of external educational programme that could be entered either before school leaving age or as a mature adult.

My children are both musical and we pay for lessons which they take at their school. We are happy enough with that arrangement. Of course we would prefer it if the school provided these lessons free as part of the curriculum but we accept that we have to pay.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
27-09-2005, 06:53 PM
NA - hi btw!:bye:

I would love to see different genres of 'extra curriculum' subjects offered on a free and come as you please basis. I would love to see them extend into the countryside as well - but this doesn't happen.

We have to pay for everything, music lessons. ballet lessons, football training, rugby training and horse-riding lessons.

I pay for a night class for the ECDL for me. [no talent I am afraid - a hard slog!!]

If my children had a talent for anything we would have to pay - unless they proved themselves to be exceptional, in which case there is a local Trust set up by a former landowner managed by the National Trust who we could apply to for a bursary!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-09-2005, 01:31 PM
survivorfan Wrote:My children are both musical and we pay for lessons which they take at their school. We are happy enough with that arrangement. Of course we would prefer it if the school provided these lessons free as part of the curriculum but we accept that we have to pay.

My daughter plays the clarinet at school, and the lessons are free, she also has the use of the clarinet, i think it's awful that you have to pay.

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
Benjamin Disraeli

[Image: ake.gif]
28-09-2005, 01:41 PM
I am not sure if we have to pay for music lessons - I know that in Primary 4 you are given the chance to play an instrument and that the school provide lessons but obviously if you want private lessons then you will have to stump up. I do pay for extra after-school French lessons for my daughter.

Some children just are not and are never going to be academically clever but they could be brilliant at something else such as drama or music but if you wanted to go down that route you have to pay. I do know that some schools are recognising this and are offering vocational studies which to me is a great idea. There is no point pushing someone to study maths if they just can't do it but they could be fantastic at something like pottery. I am not saying that we should ditch the academical skills because they are obviously needed but I do think it is sad that people are judged sometimes on how many highers etc that they have.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
28-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Music lessons are not provided free here in West Sussex, I had to pay for my eldest son to have his drum lessons whilst he was at school. Unfortunately I know of a few children with a natural talent that is not being nurtured because their parent/s can't afford the lessons.
29-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Music lessons are free here, as long as you are on benefits. :glare: Otherwise it's big money.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
29-09-2005, 09:32 AM
The system seems bizarre. My friend's youngest is somewhere on the autistic spectrum. She struggles to grasp basic 'academic' concepts and would be adead cert for a lifetime of unemployment and state support were it not for her outstanding ability in dance.

Is this recognised by the educational system. Is it heck. Her last school was even sniffy at her having time off to perform when she was asked to be part of The Lion King in the West End.

Fortunately she has now been statemented and the headmistress of her new school is ensuring she gets whatever she needs to help her chances of having a career. Unfortunately she is unable to provide financial support, so her lessons have to be paid for.

It seems crazy that my friend can't even organise a student loan - which she would of course be able to do if the child went on to University.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
29-09-2005, 06:07 PM
I am not on benefits and i don't pay, it is sad that some parents whose children are musical can't afford to pay for lessons for them. they should be free! My daughter is going on a musical weekend in November, it is run by the council and that does cost £57 which is not expensive, they put on a concert for all the mums and dads on the last day and i get so proud watching my daughter up there playing her clarinet, my head swells Blush with pride!

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
Benjamin Disraeli

[Image: ake.gif]
30-09-2005, 12:09 AM
survivorfan Wrote:My children are both musical and we pay for lessons which they take at their school. We are happy enough with that arrangement. Of course we would prefer it if the school provided these lessons free as part of the curriculum but we accept that we have to pay.

To enable talented children to progress forward, education upto the age of 16 is supposed to be free. I have read that children who are not given all of their choices at 13 in one school can opt to take them at another close by if space is available. But they remain a pupil at there first option school.This might be worth checking out with your local authority.

If this is true for your region it could save you on a few years of private tuition fees.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Talent spotting.... Coastie 6 3,588 03-11-2011 08:24 AM
Last Post: cheapugg